Bluebird Runs 2019

Renegadenemo

Re: Bluebird Runs 2019

Post by Renegadenemo »

How many posts ago and how many weeks ago was it you said there was a deadline of a week and I questioned if it was a regular mans working week etc .
This is turning into a charade .
Ps ......I checked ....march 5th post 3
Not our bloody charade, though. We ought to be prepping to run instead of watching the dust get thicker. But we'll get there.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
midlife

Post by midlife »

Renegadenemo wrote:One day l must get around to writing the book!
I think they may try to put it in the fiction section though Bill...
Cheers
Wayne

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Sometimes l wake up and look at my mails and think l am in the fiction section!

rich1608

Post by rich1608 »

We ought to be prepping to run instead of watching the dust get thicker. But we'll get there.
Sorry for asking what might be an awkward question but why is the delay preventing you from continuing the physical work on K7? Surely you can carry on rebuilding her ready for the next outing (and working on the other boats) while waiting to hear from the Ruskin?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Sorry for asking what might be an awkward question but why is the delay preventing you from continuing the physical work on K7? Surely you can carry on rebuilding her ready for the next outing (and working on the other boats) while waiting to hear from the Ruskin?
It's a perfectly fair and reasonable question and the answer is that the next phase of the work is quite extensive and we need everyone motivated and on the same page but right now the team is having a bit of a rest and catching up with their lives (after last year's bedlam) and while the finer points of a deal for future running/touring are struck.

Basically, what has to be done next involves further strip-down (all the heat-shielding has to be de-riveted in the rear of the hull and the hydraulics and much of the electrics have to come out, amongst other things) for access to install all the correct quarter-turn fasteners for the engine cover and closing plates.
That is going to be quite a task as many of the holes are worn and stretched, the stack-up heights of the materials have changed in many cases with the addition of doubler plates and the engine cover and closing plates aren't a great fit to begin with so it's going to be each fastener as its own exercise and there's hundreds of them. Oh, and that's without the fact that we've never installed one of these things before and we're going to have to do it with tiny nuts and bolts because most of the rivet holes are way too tired to take another rivet reliably.

Another important factor is that the materials were donated (having been flown in from California by the UK representatives) on the promise of being involved in such a thrilling project with a living, breathing machine so we can't in good conscience accept their expensive kit then say, look, we know we invited you to become involved in something exciting and thanks a lot but everything you contributed is just sitting idle. Nor do we have a canopy, which is another major job to tackle and when you go begging you can't really hurry the job along without a good excuse so, apart from a bit of painting, there's nothing much to be done.

Besides, it's cold in the main shop at the moment and the heater is in where Jetstar lives and it's a nice change of scenery doing something different for a while so there's just no contest but if it has anything to do with me it won't be for long.

JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

I'm just happy that I made it to the trails on Bute in August 2018. Just wished I'd been there some days earlier to see the faster runs (and have some more talks - and beers - with the team).
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Was great to meet you guys in Bute, You took to our banter very well. As Bill said if it has anything to do with him we can repeat it this year. I hav'nt
canceled my holidays yet so I still have faith it may come good and hope to see you all again when it happens.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Just awaiting final sign-off from the museum to display their half of K7 along with ours on the water this year and we'll all be back in business. Almost there...

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Just as a point of interest. This down-time is pretty much what everyone can expect when the boat is on display and not running. Nothing like as exciting as when there's an adventure afoot, is it...

midlife

Post by midlife »

The anticipation is killing me Bill, it’s like a question I’m not allowed to ask lol
Cheers
Wayne