The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

mtskull

Re: The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by mtskull »

Dominic Owen wrote:Sounds far-fetched and too good to be true but has been posted online today by virtually every news oranisation.

From what I've been reading, they were sealed, waxed and had their joints tarred, so there's the possibility of them being found in unprecedented condition (as long as the crates haven't collapsed, of course!). Can you just imagine if all TWENTY were returned to the air? That's virtually a whole squadron, all of the same Mk and (one would hope) all in the same livery! 8-)
Posted online by virtually every news organisation? Must be true then. ;)
Sad to say, once a story (or a rumour) has been posted online by one news site, all the others simply steal and re-publish it.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to eat my words and for this to be true, it's just that for as long as I can remember, every couple of years along comes a story like this and nothing ever comes of it. There were all the (crated) tanks, jeeps and planes that the Yanks buried in Devon, the sealed railway tunnel full of (crated) WW2 aircraft, the (crated) Lancasters in a quarry near Elsham Wolds (there were ground-penetrating radar images there, too).
I could go on, but you get my drift. As I said, I would love it to be true but I wouldn't hold out much hope.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

A story of a Spitfire float plane on the bottom of Ullswater keeps cropping up too. Despite all the Spitfire float plane conversions being properly accounted for and the fact that we've thoroughly cleaned out Ullswater with the sidescan another hopeful pops up every year asking if I know where it is.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

As with most things, you have to sort the wheat from the chaff and, in this instance, it becomes clear pretty quickly who got the story first-hand and where the 'Chinese whisper' effect begins. Only one newspaper article (The Grauniad, I think) seemed closest to the source, although a lot of that appeared to have been lifted from a lengthy interview with the man behind the search, already published elsewhere. In that interview he says that they have not only found several identical hits using GPR but have even had a camera into one of the crates through a small borehole. The actual number is thought to be more likely around 12-14, between 2 or 3 burial sites, but could be as many as 20.

As for whether any of this amounts to anything, we'll just have to wait and see. Personally, I think the prospect of even one being found and recovered makes it too interesting to not keep tabs on.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

The other old favourite is the Strategic Steam Reserve - the legend that the best of the steam engines were quietly disappeared to underground bunkers rather than being scrapped, with records falsified to cover this up. Problem is, nobody has convincingly explained where they'd be kept or indeed what the point would be - after the radioactive dust settled you'd be left with a lot of steam engines and no intact railway lines to run on.

Now, Sweden did have one of these, but made little secret of it. Steam engines were prepared for long-term storage and kept in various locations around the country for use in the event of crisis (such as an EMP blast knocking out the electrics in newer locos).

I almost wonder if it's a modern version of some of the Arthurian legends - British heroes sleeping underground, ready to rise again when their country is in danger...
Matt in Mid Wales
DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Renegadenemo wrote:Spitfire float plane on the bottom of Ullswater. We've thoroughly cleaned out Ullswater with the sidescan. I know where it is.
And thus begins a Daily Mail story!
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

DamienB wrote:
Renegadenemo wrote:Spitfire float plane on the bottom of Ullswater. We've thoroughly cleaned out Ullswater with the sidescan. I know where it is.
And thus begins a Daily Mail story!
:lol:

You may jest but I'll be checking tomorrows edition now! :D
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

If I knew of a Spit down there I'd have stolen it by now and it'd be drying out in a back corner of the factory ;)
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Jordangbr

The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by Jordangbr »

You told us it was a Barracuda ;-)
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
klingon

Post by klingon »

there are 4 Barracudas lying in the drink up at Nigg bay-not one of them in bits bigger than a fag end-thanks to the scallop dredgers :(
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

XH558 has made her first test flight of 2012 from her base at Robin Hood Airport on Friday evening. Due to make a flypast today at the V-Force reunion at Newark (if the weather allows). BBC Breakfast Time this morning (Saturday) had an item on the 30th anniversary of the Operation Black Buck raid on Stanley with Martin Withers giving the background to that significant event. No mention by the B BC, however, of how XH558 is funded and the average viewer would assume that it's still RAF owned and operated.

BBC news item here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17878657

ITV Calendar News item (better!)here: (Rebert Pleming content warning applies!)

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/story/ ... niversary/
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.