Blue Bird K4

blackandblue

Blue Bird K4

Post by blackandblue »

I don't want to sound like a fool... But here goes!

Where is Bluebird K4?

I went to the Lakeland Motor Museum, where a replica is – and was thinking back to all the literature I have read on the Campbells and can't remember any mention of it's current location beyond it sinking.

When it sank, was it raised, or is it still at the bottom somewhere?

Thanks,

Rich.
mtskull

Re: Bluebird K4

Post by mtskull »

blackandblue wrote:I don't want to sound like a fool... But here goes!

Where is Bluebird K4?

I went to the Lakeland Motor Museum, where a replica is – and was thinking back to all the literature I have read on the Campbells and can't remember any mention of it's current location beyond it sinking.

Thanks,

Rich.
Bluebird K4 was recovered and found to be beyond repair. Depending on whose account you read, she was either broken up and burnt on the shore of Coniston Water, or taken back down south to Donald Campbell's workshop and dismantled there. I'm sure there is somebody on this forum who can give you a definitive answer but it is safe to say K4 no longer exists.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

blackandblue wrote:I don't want to sound like a fool... But here goes!

Where is Bluebird K4?

Thanks,

Rich.
It remained on the slipway at Coniston, beyond repair and stripped of its engine and transmission into 1952, It was then removed to Bill Colley's in Hounslow, where it remained until it was disposed of by burning in the early 60's.
The engine and gear were stripped at Coniston, and probably sold for scrap. There whereabout are to the best of my knowledge unknowm

Hope that helps,

Neil
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

I'm sure I've asked this before, at some point over the years, but I really can't remember: Does anyone know if the original drawings are still in existence?
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
blackandblue

Post by blackandblue »

How interesting, thanks all! What a shame, but I guess it's easy to say that now. Has anyone come across any pics of K4, when it was sitting on the shores of Coniston?
lsrdatabase

Post by lsrdatabase »

blackandblue wrote:How interesting, thanks all! What a shame, but I guess it's easy to say that now. Has anyone come across any pics of K4, when it was sitting on the shores of Coniston?
Hi there ,

I've attached a page from my Campbell Achive showing the 'R' engine being removd after heccident.

Regards, Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

As has been said, stripped at Coniston. I have seen a letter written by John Cobb to Reid Railton after he visited lakes around Britain to run Crusader. He makes reference to seeing the wreck on the shore of Coniston, "looking very forlorn". Leo says they burnt some stuff at Coniston, but the main hull was taken to Coley's because of all the Duralmin in the hull.

In a letter to Castrol in 1971, Leo states, "if your trying to make K3 appear as complete as possible, I have some of the instruments, but the drive shafts, props and skeg are in a wooden case marked "not worth melting down" at Coley's yard in Hounslow, along with the spare R Types". The was never a reference they were moved when the yard shut down, and the area still hasn't been built on................

All the original drawings exist (I put two of them in Leap Into Legend) and I gave some of them to someone on this forum. Vospers have them archived, but they are also on mircofiche.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

f1steveuk wrote:All the original drawings exist (I put two of them in Leap Into Legend) and I gave some of them to someone on this forum. Vospers have them archived, but they are also on mircofiche.
In that case, who's up for a spot of wood/tin bashing and ping-pong ball packing? :lol:

If another 'tribute act' were to spring up anywhere, I think K4 would make a pretty stunning candidate. I'm slightly surprised that it hasn't been looked at already.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

There's a project for you then, Dominic.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

The mind is certainly willing but, alas, the body is not these days. :(