How many record breakers are in running order?

mtskull

How many record breakers are in running order?

Post by mtskull »

Having asked this question on the Bluebird K3 thread, It occurred to me that this could be a wider topic for discussion. So here it is:

How many outright land and water speed record breaking machines are currently in running order?

There's K3, of course, and (theoretically) Slo-mo-shun IV (although she hasn't run since 2001).
Of the cars, there are "Babs" and "Mephistopheles" for starters.

Anyone know of any others?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
sheppane

Re: How many record breakers are in running order?

Post by sheppane »

mtskull wrote:Having asked this question on the Bluebird K3 thread, It occurred to me that this could be a wider topic for discussion. So here it is:

How many outright land and water speed record breaking machines are currently in running order?

There's K3, of course, and (theoretically) Slo-mo-shun IV (although she hasn't run since 2001).
Of the cars, there are "Babs" and "Mephistopheles" for starters.

Anyone know of any others?
The 1924 Rene' Thomas Delage, the 1926 Seagrave Sunbeam, and thats about it. No doubt you could de-inhibit the Avon and the Spey's in Thrust II and SSC and perhaps Hustler could run again, with a little effort. K7 should in due course. Spirit Of Australia could be, I would have thought, brought back to working order.
There is a Miss America in working order, but it's not X, maybe VII or VIII. No Miss England's survive.

No to the 350hp Sunbeam, 1000hp Sunbeam, Golden Arrow, 1935 Bluebird, Railtion Mobil Special, Bluebird CN7, SOA, SOA Sonic 1. Green Monster, maybe Golden Rod with a lot of work on engines and transmission, no to Blue Flame. Not many is the answer.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

Although more challenger than holder, the last time I saw it the Renault R45 was still going as well.

What happened to the 350hp Sunbeam? The last I heard it was in perfect running order.

Don't get me started on the mechanically-neglected examples in the NMM.... Flawlessly shiney & static is a complete insult to everyone who worked tirelessly to make them loud & fast!
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

What happened to the 350hp Sunbeam? The last I heard it was in perfect running order.

It put a rod through the side a few years ago, and is costing quite a lot to rebuild.

Don't get me started on the mechanically-neglected examples in the NMM....

The trouble is, they have no money to bring them back to running order, the 1000hp Sunbeam has been out of commission for decades, Golden Arrow is sans an engine, CN7 needs a complete refit with abilities required more areospace standards, that expertise does not exist at the NMM. Next project for the BPP and their friends in industry. Tyres would be a major problem, but if there was a will, there would be a way.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Next project for the BPP and their friends in industry. Tyres would be a major problem, but if there was a will, there would be a way.
We offered to strip and rebuild CN7 at no cost to the museum but she had to come back to running order - that was the deal - what's the use of rebuilding something then not seeing that it works properly? They got all wobbly at that point and started wibbling about this committee and that committee so we took the FAAM's request to build a bureaucracy-free Barracuda instead.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Renegadenemo wrote:
Next project for the BPP and their friends in industry. Tyres would be a major problem, but if there was a will, there would be a way.
We offered to strip and rebuild CN7 at no cost to the museum but she had to come back to running order - that was the deal - what's the use of rebuilding something then not seeing that it works properly? They got all wobbly at that point and started wibbling about this committee and that committee so we took the FAAM's request to build a bureaucracy-free Barracuda instead.
When they see the work on K7, it will be worth going back to the NMM about CN7.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

When they see the work on K7, it will be worth going back to the NMM about CN7.
It'll be worth asking the question but the chances of them doing it our way are slim, I suspect. never say never, though.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

sheppane wrote:What happened to the 350hp Sunbeam? The last I heard it was in perfect running order.

It put a rod through the side a few years ago, and is costing quite a lot to rebuild.
OUCH! :shock: It's not as though that was a production engine either. That's one engine rebuild even I would think twice about taking on!

Now I'm forced to think about it, "The last I heard..." does probably equate to a little more than a few years ago. It's getting scarey how quickly they roll by these days!
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
polo

Post by polo »

Miss England is in a museum in London minus engine but looks in decent shape, Miss Great Britain is in the National Maritime museum, again, looking good but missing all her running gear.
CN7 has a bent frame due to a low flying incident when the driver hit the wrong pedal! I have no doubt that the BBP team could fix her but then you get to the tyres which were specially built by Dunlops. The building no longer exists nor does the machines to make the tyres which were specially built for the CN7 project. The existing tyres are cracking and I was told by the NMM that she can only be moved on a trolley because of this. I found all this out when a person tried to 'con' a lot of people into building a WWSR boat and stated he had permission to run the car at the same time. I knew otherwise and the last time I heard the boys in blue wanted to speak to him re a lot off missing cash.I did get the loaned Land Rover back though!
The Railton Mobil Special is in a very delicate state and if she ran she would be dust in a short time.
I can confirm a Miss America is running and does 'shows' in America, I have some photos somewhere and will try and locate them and post a couple.
Hustler is suposed to be running and had been repaired. There were rumours a long time ago that she would have another go at the record. There was a long and bitter court battle re her ownership and Taylor lost.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

I think "Polo's" answer hits the nail on the head. There's a massive difference between existing and running! There can't be a lot needed to be done to the '35 Blue Bird, but the best you could do is run it with a Type 65 Griffon, so why bother.

The 350 HP Sunbeam engine, although based very loosely on the Manitou is unique, so that's a major bummer. Babs for the same reason isn't "Original", as she now runs a tank Liberty as opposed to a aero Liberty (another rod through the block senario!)

So you have, 1] existing and 100% original, 2] existing and partially original, 3] 100% original and running or 4] partially original and running. (sub headings to 1 and 2 "possibility to run)

I can't think of one under heading 3 at all!!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................