What have forum members been up to?

winkster

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by winkster »

Dominic Owen wrote:Climbed Everest in a pair of flip-flops, kicked a polar bear in the nuts, sang on stage with Metallica and beat up Chuck Norris, and that was all before I even woke up this morning.
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

This week, oi are bin mostly... playing with Photoshop.

I randomly stumbled upon a couple of pictures the other day that I started to have a play with while bored at work a few years ago and thought it was about time I finished them. I'd love to post the other but it's one of Mr Allonby's and he's too much of a gent for me to want to risk upsetting him.
MDC in Blue Bird at Brooklands 1935.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

I made a valiant attempt at laying my sitting room carpet this weekend to try and save a few bob. As a result i find myself grounded by the wife till i get all of the ripples out. Well when i say ripples, have you ever stood by the side of Coniston when the winds up? I tried to tell her they might walk out but as everyone who dares to enter are forced to remove their shoes and put on hover boots till reaching the safety of the sofa i cant see that happening. But as we say at the project. It'll fix.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Richie

Post by Richie »

you can get the carpet tension tools from screwfix for a few bob...... best to have no furniture in there until its done though.

I had to re fit a stair carpet once which started its life as a dining room carpet from another house (we were poor and it was our first flat) what fun that was ! thank heavens i had some victorian stair carpet rods to hold it down.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker »

Richie wrote:you can get the carpet tension tools from screwfix for a few bob.......
...but don't buy the cheapskate version which just has a rubber pad on the end and no spring mechanism - you'll turn your knees black & blue. Just don't ask what shade of blue on this forum!

S
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Bought a load of reclaimed parquet for my place. Mahogany from a Leeds church for the hallway, hard maple from a sports hall at Catterick Garrison in the kitchen, pitch pine from a flooded out Carlisle car showroom and oak for the bedrooms. Bloody hard work putting it down but totally kid-proof, dog-proof, cheaper than carpet by a country mile and when it gets a bit knackered just sand it down, a coat of water-based parquet floor stuff and it's good as new.
But don't let girls walk on it in high heeled boots - that really does it in.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
klingon

Post by klingon »

I live in Scotland-we got dirt floors-when it wears out-just lift the house up and move it a few feet! :lol:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Hi lads.
Thanks for the tips regarding my carpet, Loved the dirt floor idea but my wife wouldnt go for that one though it probably would have been quicker and less hastle to move the house. Looked at the tools as suggested by you both, then saved myself a few bob knocking a couple up in my shed which did the job. Then spent another two hours clearing the sitting room, 3 hours flattening the carpet, one of which was arguing with the wife who insisted i was doing it all wrong, I told her to go and mix an egg with something as only fools and children mock a part finished job. End result, the jobs a goodun.

Anyone for carpet bowls? I only hope i can walk upright next week so i can make the workshop.

you were right about the knees Stuart.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Which Bond movie was it where some hopeless Italian building contractor left a six storey house hanging precariously from an inflated lift bag that then collapsed totally into four feet of water without upsetting the visibility and Bond's girlfriend was successfully resuscitated to full consciousness after eleventy-lots of minutes underwater? That one was desperately bad! Did the new one stay within the realms of what we can believe? After all, it's only a spy movie and there really is no excuse for such silliness.
I spent my afternoon painting the Gruffalo's Child on the lille-un's bedroom wall.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Mike the reason she survived was due to he temperature of the water being so low.... A pal of mine is a saturation (correct term ?) diver working on oil rigs... something went wrong and his mates umbilicle (spelling) was torn away from him... his suit filled with icy cold water and he drowned but was found a short time later (not long but long enough o be very dead) snagged up somewhere on one of the riggs legs, dragged back to the work station and revived.... spent a long long time in a deco chamber though........that is if my pal is not full of BS

so your example may not be the best.

you are right though the bond chick did snuff it..... mind Bills right too the fact she was pretty hyper before hand i would have given her a matter of seconds rather than ten mins :lol:
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."