What have forum members been up to?

kneeslider

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by kneeslider »

mtskull wrote:
kneeslider wrote:What next? That Barracuda need pedaling?
Hey! Get in the queue! ;)
There's a queue? Oops!

I wonder how the CAA would view the reconstructed Barra' ? When you log time, in an aircraft, its always from brakes off to brakes on, rather than your actual time in the air. After flying a tailwheel aircraft, I now know why this is, because you have to apply control in puts on the stick even when its on the ground.

Even though the Barra' won't be a flyer, it might be possible to actually log time at the controls?
Richie

Post by Richie »

Interesting...... With that in mind, if Bill let's me wear his re breather whilst having buckets of cold salt water thrown over my head, could I log those as minutes for my diving log :lol:
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

kneeslider wrote: I wonder how the CAA would view the reconstructed Barra' ? When you log time, in an aircraft, its always from brakes off to brakes on, rather than your actual time in the air. After flying a tailwheel aircraft, I now know why this is, because you have to apply control in puts on the stick even when its on the ground.

Even though the Barra' won't be a flyer, it might be possible to actually log time at the controls?
Unfortunately not. Time is logged from brakes off to brakes on because the Air Navigation Order defines an aircraft as "in flight" from the time it moves under its own power for the purpose of flight until the time it comes to rest again afterwards. It follows that, even were the Barracuda to be restored to taxiable condition, it would be fair to say that it is never going to move for the purpose of flight.
At this juncture, I will just make it clear that I am jesting in any attempt to claim the position of "Barra Test-Pedaller". Much as I would dearly love to do it, The man for the job would surely require experience of handling Merlin engines and that, sad to say, counts me out. :(
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
kneeslider

Post by kneeslider »

Ah, 'for the purpose of flight' makes all the difference doesn't it?

I would have thought that a permanently earth bound Barracuda, being a 3 crew aeroplane might make an ideal vehicle to train in Merlin handling?

Anyway, we have strayed off topic somewhat... Again!

Today, I'm at work, and really bored.
Richie

Post by Richie »

I love the Catalina's !!! An anorak might suggest that the one pictured is a later model as it has the large domed acrylic side windows and retractable undercarriage which he may suggest were not present on the prototype, or early models. :ugeek:
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

*shoves glasses up bridge of nose*
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I managed a couple of days visiting down south and had a fab few hours at the FAAM where, by special prior arrangement, I was allowed to sit in the left hand seat of Concorde #2 and in a Harrier that had literally been taxied to a standstill and switched off for the last time - poor thing - there was nothing wrong with it but they killed it anyway.
I was told that someone in America flies one privately, though. Anyone got any info on that? It sounds like a lot of fun.
Then I had a kick through the rest of our Barra' and we're definitely short of a right wing. There's enough to do a left one, just, but it's going to be a trip to Brora and/or Norway to get the other one.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I could organise it in an afternoon... It's not like Norway is a new destination for us. But it's up to the museum and MoD and all those other fast-acting organisations so we'll just have to grit our teeth and be patient.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Was also at the airshow Saturday with my clan. Bit disapointed in the lack of jet power down there these days, seems to get less every year as they continue to ground them. Bill mentioned the Harrier in an earlier post which was always a crowd puller. Vulcan did make an appearence Sunday though. Also realy enjoyed the dog fight re-enactment, very entertaining.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Richie

Post by Richie »

Spent yesterday tea time in the garage with Jnr setting some rivets old school. It was his first time on the block, or anywhere near molten metal and noisy tools.... We could have woken the dead last night.....

Not many thirteen year olds do this kind of work these days :lol: however boy did good so I will use him again !!!!