Pic of the Day

kneeslider

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by kneeslider »

I like this rather a lot. Appologies for anyone who might have seen it before. Its the video of Everest, by Public Service Broadcasting.
riding shotgun

Post by riding shotgun »

A nice job done there Gentlemen, not only another rather important bit of history saved for the future but also all original material again, it doesn't get much better than that.

Colin
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Oxygen set at 1:03...(and other glimpses thereafter) :D
That set going into the pot has a cylinder with No.40 stencilled on it. Our set has 40 stencilled on the middle cylinder. The numbers appear to be individual to each cylinder so that looks like we have that cylinder if not that complete set.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
kneeslider

Post by kneeslider »

Mike Bull wrote:Oxygen set at 1:03...(and other glimpses thereafter) :D

What an annoyingly catchy tune, too!
Happy you liked it Mike. Public Service Broadcasting are worth looking out on YouTube, they use archive footage from movies and public information films, and rehash them with modern music. The Spitfire video is also worth a watch, as it contains some great clips from First of the Few.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Very interesting shots of the sponsons build. Regarding the nightmare multi-curvature at the tips, have you any original material to give you clues as to how it was done in the first place, or is it simply a matter of knowing what shape they should be and replicating it by whatever means you can?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Very interesting shots of the sponsons build. Regarding the nightmare multi-curvature at the tips, have you any original material to give you clues as to how it was done in the first place, or is it simply a matter of knowing what shape they should be and replicating it by whatever means you can?
The original tips were still on the sponsons and were ironed flat in the crash. About all we know is that the upper fairings were made of extremely soft material, the sort of stuff you can push around with your thumbs, so we've gone up a grade or two and that doesn't help. The problem with it is that it's an optical illusion. Viewed from the front you'd swear the tip of the sponson curved in towards the main hull but in actual fact the inside face is perfectly straight all the way to the tip so building something that tricks the eye isn't the simplest challenge. Then there's the fact that the outer radius is much softer than the inner rad and the outer face of the tip does curve inwards. It's easy to make something that's sort of OK but getting it spot-on would have had me pulling my hair out if I had any. But - don't tell anyone - I've sneaked a few hours in the workshop this week with no distractions and nailed the damn thing! Piccie later.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

All credit to Sir Malcolm because when I first handed him a die-grinder at the start of the day he looked at it as though it was a prop from a sci-fi movie. By the end of the day the swarf was flying and the job was looking many-plenty splendid.

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

yep, the top sponson skins really do have a "ghostly" aura in this pic :)
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Mike Bull wrote:...or maybe, Checkie is really butch and he's just filing his nails... :lol:
... and when he's finished that, he needs a haircut and a hair transplant.....

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Richie

Post by Richie »

Yeah but we did tell you not to comb your hair with the die grinder !
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."