Coniston- January 1967/January 2013/2014

Renegadenemo

Re: Coniston- January 1967/January 2013

Post by Renegadenemo »

The top and bottom of it is that we don't know for certain either. We don't know whether K7's sponsons were filled with half a ton of sodden expanding foam or if they were dry, for starters. We don't know what she weighed - I don't think anyone does - and pretty much every important dimension has proven different to what the history books say. All we can do is put her back exactly as she was and this ought to give us a healthy starting point. The old tribute act still has way too much wrong with it, fundamental stuff, to be of any value at this stage too so accurate data is still a little ways off.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Just read this... I replied in a similar fashion on the k7 models thread....
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

And in 2014, on this day, we still remember, and if you are still in the workshop with 26ft long 'big blue tin boat', how could you forget?
Rest in peace Donald Malcolm Campbell C.B.E.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Commemorating Donald's death, as I always do this day each year, I'm mindful of why he was doing it all in the first place.

The death of a man that age is a tragedy. Forgetting why he lived, a travesy.

Donald wanted the World Water Speed Record kept in British hands. Somewhere in the clamour for facts about his life and death, this was oft forgotten.

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

And in 2014, on this day, we still remember, and if you are still in the workshop with 26ft long 'big blue tin boat', how could you forget?
We were all in Coniston, actually. And it was cold and windy and wet - but the beer and company was excellent.

Pegasus

Post by Pegasus »

For a taste of what went on in Coniston over the weekend to mark the 47th anniversary there is a selection of pictures on the Speed Record Club's Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 720&type=1

Phil
ace_chris

Re: Coniston- January 1967/January 2013/2014

Post by ace_chris »

Thanks for sharing those Mike - looks stunning! I hear what you say about taking pics of the same old stuff...
Pegasus

Post by Pegasus »

This year's proceedings of course had a special addition in the form of an E-Type Jaguar parked poignantly at Pier Cottage hired by Speed Record Club member Colin Cobb and at the appropriate time members listened in silence as a recording of Campbell's final commentary was played on the jetty to mark the tragic events of 47 years earlier.

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

This year's proceedings of course had a special addition in the form of an E-Type Jaguar parked poignantly at Pier Cottage hired by Speed Record Club member Colin Cobb
And in typical, hilarious, Cobb Bro's style, Colin gave us a wonderful, improvised presentation in the Bluebird cafe about the racket, cramped cabin, hopeless wipers, lack of seatbelts, terrible handling, brakes that didn't work, water wee-weeing in through every crevice and pretty much everything that can be wrong with a car being wrong with the E-type. But it looked good.
Wish I'd seen them both in it. I reckon they'd look like a pair of shrink-wrapped walruses... :lol:

Great to see you, guys.

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

And another record set by our Mike, 2 cans before leaving the guest house and at least 6 pints in the Sun, and didnt even feel sick in the car on the way home. Well done Mike your well on your way to be coming an adoptet Geordie.keep this up and we will have to think about promoting you to the dizzy heights of MACKEM.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong