The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

quicksilver-wsr

Re: The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Fortunately for the crew of the Victor, Bruntingthorpe's runway is one of the longest still in use in the country - otherwise it might have been a different outcome.

Could have been very nasty if they'd run out of room.

N.
quicksilver-wsr

I'm a great fan of a 1950/60s light aircraft called the Tipsy Nipper. This video-clip, and written account, shows what can happen when it all goes wrong - and also shows that a pilot shouldn't give up when his/her life is in grave danger.

http://fearoflanding.com/accidents/tips ... ash-video/

N.
quicksilver-wsr

Dominic Owen wrote:From what I remember, NX611 had a bit of a going over at the end of the sixties to get back in the air after a couple of stagnant years, so wasn't as bad as she seemed by the time she was auctioned in Blackpool, only a couple more years on from her last flight.
This wasn't the case, I'm afraid, Dominic. NX611 was in very poor shape by the time it was put up for auction, due to the combined effects of two years' exposure to Blackpool's salt-laden air (it was stored outdoors throughout this time) and sheer neglect (the museum that owned the aircraft had been in progressive financial decline from the outset, unable to look after its aircraft, then went into liquidation).

NX611 was very close to being scrapped when it was rescued from Blackpool at the eleventh hour. Such was its condition that it failed to sell at auction, the bids being so paltry. A private deal was done behind the scenes that saved it.

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

All very romantic... imagine how many young lads got to to see a sight such as that whilst waiting for the German fighters to dive in.

We don't know we're born these days.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
quicksilver-wsr

It seems that incident with the Lancaster at Humberside yesterday caused little more than hot brakes and tyre-furrows in the grass ...

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Canad ... story.html

Although I see a helo has piled in close to cliffs on the approach to Humberside today, with the loss of two lives :(

N.
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

quicksilver-wsr wrote:...caused little more than hot brakes and tyre-furrows in the grass ...
And five or six sets of skid marks... :lol:

Someone was going to say it, so I thought it may as well be me! lol
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
quicksilver-wsr

I struggled to come up with something else, just to avoid saying that ... hence "tyre-furrows" - which Colonel Melchett from Blackadder would, I'm sure, not let pass without some lewd remark or another anyway ... so one can't win.

Try to keep things clean on here and it's a losing battle! :roll: :lol:

Nigel
Dominic Owen

Post by Dominic Owen »

quicksilver-wsr wrote:Try to keep things clean on here and it's a losing battle! :roll: :lol:
As Mike will probably testify, every time I post something on the "Joke of the Day" thread! :lol:
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity...
quicksilver-wsr

Wasn't aware of the itinerary for the aircraft today, but my girlfriend texted a few hours ago to say she was doing a spot of gardening when both Lancasters roared directly overhead (this was Fenton, near Newark).

Talk about being in the right place at the right time :)

N.
hallanthony

Post by hallanthony »

Thanks for sharing, amazing!!!