The Australian Replica

Terminator

Re: The Australian Replica

Post by Terminator »

Yep tis true :) The Australians are and have been celebrating the double in a big way since October with Gina flying out to attend the Motor Classics show which had a big display on Donald Campbell C.B.E and his amazing achievements. Gina is also flying out again to help them mark the 31-12-2014 as she is amazed by the lengths they are going to out there. Also building what may not be a very accurate interpretation but it will as Malcolm says suit their needs once it is painted Blue. The Bluebird Project is doing its own celebration in as much as they are rebuilding the Donalds boat in his honour. And unfortunate as it is it will not be ready for any celebrations in 2014 as she draws nearer to completion BUT that day is getting nearer and nearer. Its sad really that the British cannot drum up the same enthusiasm as the Aussies and come together in marking this occasion with its infighting by misfits and trouble makers in various Clubs,,Groups,forums what have you, all with their own little agendas which is really sad at the end of the day. But there you have it there have always been plenty of people around willing to use or associate themselves with either the Bluebird or the Campbell's in WHATS IN IT FOR THEMSELVES. Glady I and the Project can safely say we just build boat and get on with the job at hand.
Merry Christmas to one and all. :D
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Is it going to float?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

I'd venture not, it 's what would be described as a "theatrical replica", enough to illustrate the subject, while being robust enough to display, and probably outside. I suspect once on it's plinth and at the right angle, it will be quite effective, and in reality it will fool 99% of those that see it, the other 1% should just be grateful someone has gone to the effort of creating a long lasting tribute to a unique event. I'm now just wondering what the canopy will be like, but hat's off to him. Maybe one day someone will put the real thing and all the replica's in one place, that would be weird!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It's growing on me... Some good metalshaping going on no matter whether it's deadly accurate or not.

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

In this case , deadly accuracy is not a requirement in my view. The great aspect of this is that it's a tribute built by Australians in honor of Donald Campbell's unique double. In that sense I cannot fault it.....

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Richie

Post by Richie »

Would be nice to re create the roosters tail etc out of stainless, make the thing look like she is travelling at speed.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

OK, I'm sold. The Aussie replica has really grown on me. I like it a lot and the fact that the Dumbelyung community have got behind the celebrations. It's been a long time in the planning too because I remember them years ago asking me to proof-read some signs for visitors - not that I was qualified for that job so I swiftly handed it to more capable Campbell historians. I wonder if their boat floats. No reason why it shouldn't assuming it has a bottom in it - I'd like to see it bobbing on the lake.

rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

I agree entirely - it's a great effort and fitting tribute. Must admit I wasn't sure about the opaque canopy, but given that Donald Campbell is no longer with us and died in such tragic circumstances, I now think it's the right solution. It would be nice to see the boat on the water but afterwards, maybe it can be permanently mounted somewhere near the lake?

Well done to all concerned with the project.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

maybe it can be permanently mounted somewhere near the lake?
Unless I'm mistaken it's made of thin steel so it wouldn't last long in the weather.

Richie

Post by Richie »

looks nice, maybe we can get the real one there along side it some day...
Last edited by Richie on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."