Pic of the Day

conistoncollie

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by conistoncollie »

Wasn't the 24 billion dollar Apollo 11 landing saved by a Biro lid, or some such 'what have you'?
sbt

Post by sbt »

conistoncollie wrote:Wasn't the 24 billion dollar Apollo 11 landing saved by a Biro lid, or some such 'what have you'?
It was the pen itself. Anything similarly pointy would have worked - it was used to flip the Ascent Engine Arm circuit breaker which had been broken off by Armstrongs PLSS.

Pen type not confirmed as a 'biro'. It wasn't a Fisher Space Pen as Aldrin recalls it as not having a metallic tip, it was probably a Felt Tip, which was also in use at the time.

It wasn't very much 'what have you' though - NASA were meticulous about what they allowed aboard in terms of writing devices. Not only did it have to be safe (for example pencils aren't) it also had to be clear and permanent, not subject to being erased or smudged, allowing records to be read many years later.

BTW: Contrary to legend, NASA didn't pay to develop the Space Pen, the Fisher firm did it with their own money and then sold them to NASA and the Soviets - who dropped their pencils as soon as something better came along.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Mike Bull wrote:
Renegadenemo wrote:As we're fond of saying, when Donald said the boat was an example of 'rocketry, advanced engineering, what have you...' It was mostly 'what have you'.

The original piece of wood is actually in good shape so our pet museum conservator, Loubie-Lou Bainbridge is going to clean it up and make it pretty so it can go back. Meanwhile, Checkie is messing with his wires, Rich is rebuilding the hyd system, BFG is on steering and (though he doesn't know it yet) the offboard start system. John and I are on the engine, Offshore-Rob (nee Aerospace) is riveting for all he's worth, Gillian is making up the fixings for the main spar and those not named above are doing whatever comes to hand. It's all go!
Well in just the last couple of weeks I've been busy again with the silver Hammerite, done a little bit of spannering on Bill & John's engine, permanently fitted the front end of the steering, fiddled with the fuel control linkages and oh yes, installed the front spar attachments! :D

You can pop along and pick my Hyd lines up so I have something to do on Saturday if you like ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

Nice POTD. Cracking work by BFG.

has the ram housing been coated yet ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
BFG

Re: This Part Fits picture 8th March 2009

Post by BFG »

Bonjour guys glad you like the ram might see you Saturday Norman said hello :lol:
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Re POTD Sun 16th - nice job on the connector block Lou :-) it will now continue to serve.

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Hi Mike Very confident that all parts removed in the original strip down of K7 were all bagged and labelled up accordingly. However I had noted from time to time over the years some had been moved or opened up previously by others to see what lay inside. However all should be present and correct and ready to be overhauled and replaced on the boat. A recent break in the Isle of Man for myself done me the world of good and ready to get back on with the job. Bumped into Michael Dunlop in the pits Son of the late Robert Dunlop and Nephew to the late Joey Dunlop Deep Respect for all that Family. Anybody that doesn't know why just google Isle of Man TT and watch them go down Bray Hill at Nearly 200 M.P.H! Unbelievable these guys that do the TT every year. Sadly I didn't get to take the Bike over this year had to take the Scooby around the course again very early in the morning :D :D
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

With the ‘spar table’ permanently bolted into place once and for all, Mike set about it with the brushes to apply the usual thick coat of ‘suitably shabby’ silver paint.
Going to be a really tight fit that ;) . But looking the mutts nuts none the less :D excellent Mr. Bullfrog
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Today's POTD shows just how far the project has come. Even with no engine, the central hull looks complete.

Obviously there's still a way to go. But every once in a while a new pic. encapsulates the astounding progress.

Nigel
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

Today's picture, showing the shabby silver (08/09), is a timely reminder of how much work (and workmanship) on the craft will be hidden from view once K7 is completed. A great job by all of the workshop 'crew'.
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations