Technical Talk

Renegadenemo

Re: Technical Talk

Post by Renegadenemo »

The horizontal join appears to slope down ever so slightly towards the front but it's mostly illusion caused by the changing radius of the trunk itself. Don't forget the pair of half rugby balls let into the upper flanks of the trunk to clear the start bottles. Just finished putting those in today - enjoyed doing those.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
PeteManc

Post by PeteManc »

That's another interesting illusion then - I'd been thinking the indentations were circular, and appearing elliptical due to the angle they were photographed from. This is all good stuff! (:
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

That's another interesting illusion then - I'd been thinking the indentations were circular, and appearing elliptical due to the angle they were photographed from. This is all good stuff! (:
The originals are very elliptical. It's an easy mistake to make trying to let circles into a cylinder. I had much fun getting circular ones into the new trunk. There's now a comfy half inch clearance between the start bottles and the trunk.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

...and a very nice job they are too. (Just don't tell Bill that I said that, LOL)
Why, thank you very much, Mr Bullfrog... that dismountable angle of yours is a rather splendid piece of work too.

Richie

Post by Richie »

Happened across this footage tonight..... Endured it..... Mind there are some worthwhile close ups with detail including the hyd gauges etc, also the fairing on the fin on the trailing edge didn't look to clever even before the crash ! Weird seeing tuff in detail (moving) which I have had my hands on, different when it's a still image

http://youtu.be/ONH-QsW8hDg
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

I recognised some of the footage from the dvd you gave me, but there was footage I didn't recognise.

Just watched the original bbc doc regarding the lift too. Sniggering at the power struggle over a strop (the point Carl made a look at Beanie cracks me up every time I see it)

Bit of a bluebird night tonight !
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Indeed - we had to shove that character back into his box on several occasions. We had the job in hand but the BBC insisted on having a commercial diver in the loop because they are (or at least they were at the time) self-regulating from a H&S standpoint and needed a fall-guy in case anything went wrong.
Because we were all rebreather divers (ours was the first all rebreather diver exped that anyone had ever seen) we got the guy onto the BBC list of approved contractors as he just about knew his way around a rebreather but it just went to his head.
Needless to say, he was only involved for a short while. We quietly sidelined him while we lifted the broken cockpit ahead of lifting the main section of hull then sacked him off the moment that was out of the water so we could concentrate on the body recovery. The Beeb said they couldn't film on our boat if we didn't rescind our decision so I told them to either film from the beach or get over themselves. They got over themselves.
There's many more tales of bad behaviour I could tell but I reckon it's best parked where it ended.

speedboatstuart

Air trunk indentations

Post by speedboatstuart »

Hi not been on here for a while but have been following , my question firstly is , the indentations that have been put into the air trunk for the air start bottles do these indentations impede directly into the path of the incoming airflow or is the trunk made up of a double skin . My reason for asking is that it was said the fuel was not a factor in the engine flameouts as fuel was present in the lines correct? If this is correct then as I remember right the air intakes had to be strengthened to and modernised to take the new Orpheas engines demand for air meaning with the space allowed by the design of the boat the Orpheas was sucking air through to the maximum the air inlet and trunk could supply ( in other words the Orpheas demand was almost too much for the design of the boat to deal with.) surely 2 indentations in the inlet trunk would upset the flow of air causing disruption to smooth airflow or swirling vortexes , not a problem at full power as the shear power of the engine would overcome this but on a sharp ( or even gradual )throttle back when the engine is not pulling hard would then disrupt the airflow enough to cause a flameout. I only ask as the air start system is custom to the boat and I can't find anything on Knat fighters with flameout problems.
Renegadenemo

Re: Air trunk indentations

Post by Renegadenemo »

The Orph' has a bit of a history of flaming out and in Bluebird's case it's looking increasingly likely that it was air being drawn into the system by the boost pumps that caused the flameouts. The air intakes were strengthened after they imploded and that may well have been caused by the engine being overrated but they were weary from many years of battering. The trunk will flow plenty of air and the indentations are deliciously smooth so they won't get in the way too much...

speedboatstuart

Re: Air trunk indentations

Post by speedboatstuart »

Lol I did notice how nice those look isn't engineering good looking when its done well. :D
I see what you mean by the boost pumps drawing air. Must have missed the bits on the flameout problems .
Anyway just a thought that's all.