Bluebird & Other Scale Models

midlife

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by midlife »

Well that's it for me tonight, I've spent a lot of time on the sponsons to give approx double scale lift when it gets on plane, my theory is if you scale down the model you must assume scaled up the ripples on the water.
I'm going to teach myself vacuum forming tomorrow, could be fun...
Cheers
Wayne

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Nice. Are the plans in the background of the first photo for a model of Crusader?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
midlife

Post by midlife »

mtskull wrote:Nice. Are the plans in the background of the first photo for a model of Crusader?
Yes they are Crusader in 12:1 scale, I wanted to have same scale Crusader & K7 side by side, but I'm getting a bit tied up with my K7 at the moment.
I think I have 1:24 Crusader plans around somewhere too. It's a big old beastie in comparison to K7.
I'll put some pics up when I get home & have a tidy up.
Cheers
Wayne

midlife

Post by midlife »

Here's the 1:24 Crusader plan, the 1:12 plan I have is identical just blown up to double the sizeImage

The 1:12 plan is tough to get on one photo lol

Cheers
Wayne

K7boats

Post by K7boats »

Hello Wayne, I think the way your going about your build is good finding out about shape of K7 comes with a build nose etc. But looking at pictures and of coarse the BBP gives you the wright info to use most plans about are ok but not as good as pictures and info on BBP I'm a little bit lucky to as I have a friend who does now a lot about K7 and she has looked at my K7 ,,,,,,Gina Campbell DC daughter, after nearly finishing my boat I think she got a shock I was pulling it to bits and doing the 64 configuration ;) but as I said that's just me there is not a great deal to change but I want to do it.Anyway carry on I'm sure you'll enjoy getting it on the water. Can I just say hello again to all the lads on the BBP and I'm back on with the boat hope to get it finished this time but as you all say about the big bird it will be finished when it's finished :)
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

mtskull wrote:Nice. Are the plans in the background of the first photo for a model of Crusader?
Just seen the latest photo: question answered!
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
midlife

Post by midlife »

Hi Al,
Thanks for the encouragement, must be awesome knowing Gina, you can't beat a family view!
I've reached a dead end on my 1:12 K7, I couldn't source any clear plastic, all I could find was either too thick or too thin, I've ordered some 0.6mm off eBay, just waiting for it to turn up is killing me.
I bought a donor rc boat from a local model shop at the weekend, I've started hacking it to bits & ive made a start on the 1:24 scale K7 for my grandson, it's not going to be very accurate & im going to set the sponsons a bit wider to make it more stable for him. Let's see if I can use some of the experience I've gained from my K7 to make it easier.
Cheers
Wayne

Richie

Post by Richie »

midlife wrote:Well that's it for me tonight, I've spent a lot of time on the sponsons......

Try 18 months of fabrication and fettling matey.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
midlife

Post by midlife »

Richie wrote:
midlife wrote:Well that's it for me tonight, I've spent a lot of time on the sponsons......

Try 18 months of fabrication and fettling matey.
Hehe, you've got to love balsa wood!!
I've got to admit that the old girl does look like she was designed by a rivet salesman...
Keep up the good work[.]
Cheers
Wayne

K7boats

Post by K7boats »

Hi Wayne I cracked my cockpit cover too which took a lot of time to make I'm now going to make a rig to kind of vacum form it from tin clear plastic I think you'll find you will be able to make a former of cockpit out of wood and heat plastic over it to fit easer than making a jig like I have to but mine is a lot bigger so I have to do it I've started the modifications to my K7 it really looks sad some may say I'm round the bend nearly finishing then deciding to build the 64 version that's me though. Yes Gina is a good friend I like to get the emails from places she visits were people want to here about her dad and bluebird BIG following in OZ anyway I'll try to post sad pics of the gutted K7 I'm looking st know
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.