Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

polo

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by polo »

Interesting information given on the site. The engine info leaves a few questions though! Turmanski R13's [9,000lbs thrust] are available at a reasonable cost with a Russian Technician available to help fit them out for a fee. It is possible to fit two vipers together if you have the right information available as it appears it's not as easy as you would think to do it [surge and such like, causing yaw]>There is manual available to do it [I have one sat in my loft given to me by Jack 'the jet' Hutchins] but they are like hens teeth for availability. K8 was supposed to have twin Viper 600 series engines but that idea was dropped for a variety of reasons.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The only difference with the twin viper installation is that one engine is equipped with a synchronising valve that's cross-fed from the other one so that both engines automatically run at the same speed. With two close together I'd imagine it would be straightforward enough to manage them manually. It's a simple engine - we know its fuel system inside out having tuned Stay Gold and we rebuilt the reheat while we were about it so we have that nailed too.
We also did an exercise on the possibility of running twin Orph's side by side as we have a workshop full of shiny examples that'll be spare once K7 has been run and feeding a single jetpipe from two gas generators with a reheat is a pretty potent arrangement on paper.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

One thing I forgot to mention about the Viper is that it includes a significant amount of magnesium/thorium and its corrosion product is radioactive and dangerous if inhaled. The repair schemes in the manuals detail how to avoid poisoning yourself whilst replacing Helicoils and the like.

Daniel dehaemers

Post by Daniel dehaemers »

I had a look at his Facebollocks page to see if there was any more news and apparently 23 people like the fact that he has terminal cancer.

Dear Bluebird and speed lovers:

It' maybe the time for me to come out of the shadow, I'm a discreet man and that's the reason of my silence on this forum.
It's true that in May of this year I had a bad news regarding my health.
I'm not in a terminal fase with my cancer, after first chemo, reduction of 50% of the lung tumor ( who was a fase 1 tumor ), and metastazid on the liver disapperead.
I feel fine and continued working " slowly " on the SP600 for the first test next year in the spring.

Other clarification, I'm not using the concorde engine ( do not know from where this rumor is coming :-) ) but the Rolls Royce Adour

Since I'm 12 year, I'm a suporter of Donald Campbell and the Bluebird K7, iIts Donad who put me in this UWWSR adventure

Have a nice week, Daniel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hey, Daniel... great to see you in one piece and still working on the boat. You had us all worried for a moment there. Welcome to the forum.

Bill

jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

Good to hear from you Daniel, wishing you a speedy recovery!
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
polo

Charles Burnett 111

Post by polo »

Just heard Charles has been killed in a helicopter crash !
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/19/us- ... imbabwean/

Sad news. He was a great supporter of WWSR and LSR.

I have some photos. I will post as soon as I can find them.

Condolences to his family and friends.
conistoncollie

Reid Railton - Man of Speed

Post by conistoncollie »

New book launched 24 April

Reid Railton - Man of Speed by Karl Ludvigsen / Evro Publishing
polo

Post by polo »

£150 !!!
ted.walsh

Post by ted.walsh »

i’ll be asking my local library to get a copy for sure...
perhaps one for another ‘authority’ to get and display in their pubic facility ...