Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

klingon

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by klingon »

bluebirdsback wrote:Classic car the old capri Mike. Interesting link with surnames too, i think, we could start a forum discussion with this. Lets see, Ah yes, can any forum members come up with something someone with the surname Bull Might be interested in :?:
Go easy on him Bill.

Dogging? :twisted:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
klingon

Post by klingon »

Hee Hee! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Though never a record breaker, the White Hawk hydrofoil (K5) is an interesting craft - both as an early user (1952) of jet power and because Ken Norris was involved with the design. The following link provides a good summary of its ill-fated story:

http://www.solarnavigator.net/white_haw ... ng_lee.htm

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

Mike Bull wrote:Crikey, what a fascinating read! :geek: My own knowledge of record breaking craft beyond K7 is very limited, and that was very interesting- I had no idea about the Norris involvement in such a thing, and doesn't that photo of the frame look familiar!
I agree Mike - I am sure the eventual design of K7's frame owed much to Ken Norris' experience with White Hawk.

1952 was certainly a key year for WSR - John Cobb in Crusader (K6) also attempted to break the WSR in this year on Loch Ness but tragedy struck when the boat dived under at over 200mph (at least 30 mph greater than the record at the time), killing Cobb. Crusader was a three point hydroplane (single point forward and two points aft) and failure of the forward planing shoe was thought to be the cause of the accident. The following links to a good summary and further reading:

http://www.lesliefield.com/personalitie ... ursuit.htm

Also, I can thoroughly recommend an excellent book about Crusader, compiled largely from Vosper's records for Crusader. (She was designed by Peter du Cane of Vosper with input from Reid Railton). The book is reviewed at the following site:

http://crusaderk6.com/

I got mine on eBay for around £15

Happy reading !

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

lot0268-1.jpg
Quest.jpg
This will get the comments flowing I think...

AN HISTORICALLY INTERESTING AND UNIQUE WOOD, METAL AND FIBREGLASS POWERED CONCEPT MODEL OF THE PHILIP VILLA DESIGNED MARK III "QUEST" PROJECT Q-BOAT RACING HYDROPLANE, CIRCA 1983
with details including servo-assisted trim flaps located in each plane, secured to the main hull with aero-dynamic bracing, painted cockpit, engine with access cowling, tail fin with union flag. Overall measurements -- 12½ x 59 x 19in. (32 x 150 x 48.3cm.)

'Almost unknown in its day and so largely forgotten now, Project 'Q' or 'Quest' (for speed) was a serious attempt to break the World Water Speed Record after Donald Campbell's fatal attempt in 1967. Conceived and designed in secrecy by Philip Villa, the nephew of Leo Villa, Malcolm and Donald Campbell's highly respected Chief Engineer. After a significant campaign of fund raising, development models were built and tested in wind tunnels and on water. The latter tests (on this model) suggested that, had the full-scale hydroplane been built, it would have been capable of over 400 mph, although in practice that record would have been achieved over a period of time. In the event however, personal difficulties combined with a tough economic climate of the early 80's saw the project founder. This model provides a beautiful and tantalising footnote to a long British lineage of Water Speed Record Attempts and one which, had it been realised, would have smashed the present record of 317 mph set by Ken Warby in Spirit of Australia in 1978 and returned the prestige of the title to British hands.'

The model and a bunch of docs relating to it were sold in April this year. This is the boat Gina refers to in her book (she was married to Phil) but nothing ever came of it....

Interesting concept...

neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

looks like a kind of k7 evo, in a mitsubishi stylee :D
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Nice little purchase you made there Neil I will assume. Its a fantastic model and I have only ever seen one pic or drawing of the said craft many years ago. I can't remember where, possibly amongst Gina's things? But could be totally wrong on that front ? I remember that occasion well when Gina left me to look through her family chest of pics etc whilst She and Marshall went for a round of golf :o I was euphoric at being left alone with such personal items and Mr Whoppitt. :shock: It might of been on this occasion I viewed this strange futuristic craft? What a fantastic box you have there Neil very envious indeed.

Not having any other information on this Neil is it safe to assume that Leo, ken and Lewis may have had some input into this craft or was it the sole work of Philip Villa? Can't have been cheap getting it tested without knowing a few people able to open a few doors.

"Interesting concept indeed!"

Novie

"I'll Be Back"
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Looks dangerous to me. Aft C of G, steep angles of attack at the pointy end, K7-style, with no weight up there...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Novie,

I did not have the good fortune to buy this box of tricks... Just happened across it on the old 'interweb'... would be interesting to know where it did find a home... if it indeed did.... would have liked the BP 59 photo album though!!!

Terminator wrote:Nice little purchase you made there Neil I will assume. Its a fantastic model and I have only ever seen one pic or drawing of the said craft many years ago. I can't remember where, possibly amongst Gina's things? But could be totally wrong on that front ? I remember that occasion well when Gina left me to look through her family chest of pics etc whilst She and Marshall went for a round of golf :o I was euphoric at being left alone with such personal items and Mr Whoppitt. :shock: It might of been on this occasion I viewed this strange futuristic craft? What a fantastic box you have there Neil very envious indeed.

Not having any other information on this Neil is it safe to assume that Leo, ken and Lewis may have had some input into this craft or was it the sole work of Philip Villa? Can't have been cheap getting it tested without knowing a few people able to open a few doors.

"Interesting concept indeed!"

Novie

"I'll Be Back"
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

The crucial element of this futuristic design is the addition of a horizontal stabiliser on the tailfin. All hydroplane designs of this type require it to remain unconditionally stable at speeds exceeding 300mph cf Ken Warby's 'Spirit-----'.

As I think I may have mentioned previously, K7 could have been made to do so safely with the addition of such a stabiliser on the top of the fin and set at 2 -3 degrees positive incidence. This creates aerodynamic lift at the tail, resulting in a compensating nose-down moment at the bows.

DMC would have achieved his dream with the addition of such an appendage but the typically British attitude of '----playing to the rules -----' precluded the mod'.