Press Release

sheppane

Re: Press Release

Post by sheppane »

Renegadenemo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 am Okay, boys & girls. Here it is. Do your worst.

Press Release

Campbell’s Bluebird to Dip Her Toes in Scottish Loch.

A mere thirty minute ferry ride from Glasgow lies the Isle of Bute, an exquisite, cookie-cut piece of premium Scotland in all its beauty dropped into the Clyde within easy reach and the location of many an enjoyable fishing and diving holiday for Bluebird Project leader, Bill Smith.

Rich in heritage – Ettrick Bay on its west coast was the site of the first powered flight in Scotland and the training ground for soldiers destined for the D-Day landings whilst the midget submarine X-Craft, aimed at battleship Tirpitz, limbered up on the other side of the island in Rothesay Bay. But, most importantly for the Bluebird Project, is the mile and a half of flat, secluded water striking through the middle of the isle – Loch Fad.

Bluebird K7 – Donald Campbell’s legendary jet hydroplane, in build for the past ten years, is now almost complete and ready to take to the water once more. Her long anticipated resurrection, upon which she will again run at speed for demonstration purposes before going on public display, awaits only an invitation to operate on a suitable waterway with Coniston Water being the team’s first choice. But before that she must be thoroughly worked back to fighting fitness along with her operating team.

After considering various UK bodies of water, the Bluebird Project team decided that Loch Fad would be the ideal location for our crew training exercise. We are thrilled that, after extensive consultation with a wide range of stakeholders on the island, agreement was reached to travel to Bute in August 2018, with assistance from the British Army, to get Bluebird K7 waterborne again and under her own power for the first time in over half a century as an integral part of bringing this iconic craft, along with her historic, educational and inspirational value back to the forefront of the public conscience.

Notes to Editors.

Bluebird K7 has been in-build since December 2008 and Loch Fad will be the first time she has been afloat and under her own power since the morning of January 4th 1967
Contacts – BBP
Office 0191 2964295 We will be available for phone interviews for most of the day and for filming, etc. after 15:00

Contacts – Mount Stuart Trust
Mr Colin Boag. 01700 503877

Picture credits - Mike Bull. Please call us if you would like any additional pic's and we'll mail them to you.

Blue Paint.JPG

Cockpit.JPG
That looks superb. I credit to you guys, and no mistake...
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
twhite

Post by twhite »

Wow, great news! How exciting [.]
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Just got back from Newcastle, of all places, to see this news.

Congratulations, team, on reaching this milestone. Must be fantastic to know the hard work is finally giving way to some on-lake action.

Nigel
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Thanks for all the positive comments and absolutely masses of exposure for the project today thanks to everyone's efforts in spreading the word. Everyone on the team has worked damned hard too whether they were in front of a camera, working away in the background keeping the workshop busy or boiling the kettle. Thanks so much, guys and girls... And to our wonderful friends in the media for bearing with a workshop full of crazy people.

Had to laugh at the rather weak wriggle by the park authority, though. We'd have gladly done our crew training on Coniston but they left out many important facts going back many months in their effort to shift the blame. It was theirs had they wanted it - but they didn't.

Bute, on the other hand, quickly saw what's on offer and grabbed it with both hands so we'll do our crew training there and hope that the park authority will organise an invitation for us to run on Coniston next time.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

I forwarded the press release to the CBC here in Canada so fingers crossed you will get some coverage on this side of the pond .
Awesome job guys well done .
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Bill remind me just how long we have been trying to get the powers that unfortunately exist in this sad neck of the world to let us run Bluebird K7 on its historic home of Coniston Water ? And just how long has it taken the Isle of Bute taken to say YES you most certainly can run this fantastic legendary piece of History on our Loch?

My apologise I could not be there with the rest of the team. However that paintwork looks the must nuts and makes all that rubbing down/flattening worth while.

Take a bow ladies and gentlemen of the Bluebird Project

Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Andrew453

Post by Andrew453 »

The boat looks simply brilliant...as Novie says above, the dog's danglies. Well done team!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Did a short piece for BBC Radio Cumbria this morning and told a little more of the story. It starts around 55 mins.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05wc2t6

Bute

Post by Bute »

looking forward to seeing you all here!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

looking forward to seeing you all here!
Hi there, we're looking forward to getting there! We've a lot to do but we'll make it happen. Is there anything in particular on the isle that you might be able to help us with?