Return to the Water

Renegadenemo

Re: Return to the Water

Post by Renegadenemo »

I am still wondering, but would it be reasonable to suggest that in 2019 that is how they want the return of K7 to proceed?
Do you mean at 10mph in the displacement condition?

Hey, how about we do two weeks of that in August. Advertise it well in advance, issue a press release then wallow up and down making noise and spray for a fortnight. We would, of course, have to explain to the world that we couldn't go any faster because the un-elected bureaucrats wouldn't let us and how the place was total chaos because Stonybridge hadn't lifted a finger for ten years to organise an event but what fun it would be.

Anyone up for it?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

Question for the historians.
Just wondering what sort of official permissions Donald Campbell had to negotiate in 1966 in order to run Bluebird K7 on Coniston Water?
BFG

Post by BFG »

Most probably still waiting for the official answer :roll:
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Another word defined for us:

presumption
noun: presumption;
an attitude adopted in law or as a matter of policy towards an action or proposal in the absence of acceptable reasons to the contrary.
synonyms: assumption, supposition, presupposition, belief, thought, guess, expectation, judgement, surmise, conjecture, speculation, hypothesis, postulation, premise, generalization, inference, deduction, conclusion
"this presumption may be easily rebutted"

yup
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
midlife

Post by midlife »

Awesome answer Barry[.]
Cheers
Wayne

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Gave me a good chuckle, did that...

The answer, as I understand it, is that he went to see the chap who owned Pier Cottage at the time and said,

"I say, old boy. Would you mind awfully if I brought the old girl over and tried to see a British boat first past the magic three hundred?"

And that was it. I doubt very much that he spent forty minutes on the phone to a confused jobsworth trying to explain that, no, there will be no application and, by the way, there's no such word as 'can't'.

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Renegadenemo wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:07 pm
Gave me a good chuckle, did that...

The answer, as I understand it, is that he went to see the chap who owned Pier Cottage at the time and said,

"I say, old boy. Would you mind awfully if I brought the old girl over and tried to see a British boat first past the magic three hundred?"

And that was it. I doubt very much that he spent forty minutes on the phone to a confused jobsworth trying to explain that, no, there will be no application and, by the way, there's no such word as 'can't'.
DC spoke to 4 parties to get the attempt signed off. FG Riding, Clerk of the Parish Council, Arthur Wilson, owner of Pier Cottage, Norman Buckley to arrange getting the course surveyed, and Lancashire police, within whose jurisdiction Coniston lay, agreed to provide an element of security and control at Pier Cottage, with Chief Constable Eric St Johnston communicating as much to Donald personally. DC only dealt with principals.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

DC spoke to 4 parties to get the attempt signed off. FG Riding, Clerk of the Parish Council, Arthur Wilson, owner of Pier Cottage, Norman Buckley to arrange getting the course surveyed, and Lancashire police, within whose jurisdiction Coniston lay, agreed to provide an element of security and control at Pier Cottage, with Chief Constable Eric St Johnston communicating as much to Donald personally. DC only dealt with principals.
Thanks for that interesting snippet, Neil. Certainly I knew none of that. My version came from a years-old negotiation to see whether Pier Cottage wanted us. They didn't, unless we spoke via their land-agent.
Dealing with the principals is the only way as we've proven over the years, and again with the Mount Stuart Trust on Bute, where the level of help and support from the community is ramping up exponentially.

Impossible task when there's no principal to deal with, though.

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Just a rather tongue-in-cheek suggestion:

If all slse fails, how about that you just book a week at Pier Cottage caravan park?

After all, their website states: "To make the most of Coniston Water guests are welcome to bring canoes/boats........Boats are charged according to size; £2.50 -£5.50"

Keep a copy of the byelaw amendment handy and you're sorted. ;)
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

Sounds like DC dealt with key individuals rather than committees.
Thanks for the info Neil, much appreciated.

A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled. (Sir Barnett Cocks)