Return to the Water

ace_chris

Re: Return to the Water

Post by ace_chris »

In terms of the logisitics/disruption to Coniston, they managed alright when it was Donald Campbells funeral back in 2001, and many local land owners and farmers benefited from a bit of extra cash in hand for "car-parking". Not forgetting the Hotels, B&B's, Restaurants etc etc who benefited. Surely the powers that be can at least use this as a starting point in terms of making some forecasts for anticipated visitor numbers.

Jump forward to 2018 our hospitality industry is rapidly going to the dogs so surely anything to inject some much needed cash into this area of the local economy should be welcome.

If Cant'iston STILL will not budge is there an option for Ullswater as that was technically where K7 was launched? Or do the LooNy Party (sorry LDNP) have first dibs on refusal there too?

Regards

Chris
Richie

Post by Richie »

I have contacts at Ullswater yacht club, they have a fantastic slip way, full facilities and rescue ribs etc etc, plus it’s a stones throw from numerous camping sites.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I have contacts at Ullswater yacht club, they have a fantastic slip way, full facilities and rescue ribs etc etc, plus it’s a stones throw from numerous camping sites.
It's 10m deeper than Coniston (pulled a body out of the deep bit one time so I know) plus it would still be subject to interference from the Lackidasical bureaucrats. That said, I'd bet Ullswater Steamers and Glenridding would fall over themselves to have K7. Maybe we should ask them.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Renegadenemo wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:16 pm .... it would still be subject to interference from the Lackidasical bureaucrats.
There is a 1978 Byelaw for Ullswater. Ten miles per hour powered craft speed limit. No indication of any 'exemptions'. Anyone want a four year project?

Reminder for the non anoraks - the version of K7 being presented in the rebuild was particular to the '66/'67 attempt on Coniston Water.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Reminder for the non anoraks - the version of K7 being presented in the rebuild was particular to the '66/'67 attempt on Coniston Water.
Maybe we were a little presumptuous there. We should have built the 64 version to keep our options open. Wonder if we can get hold of a Beryl and get Dumbelyung on the phone.

conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

Future historians may refer to it as the 2018 Loch Fad version
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Future historians may refer to it as the 2018 Loch Fad version
Some Mike of the future will determine by reference to many photos that she took to the water with a different bilge-pump outfall, offboard control of the start solenoid and a fitting to admit compressed air. Ooooh!

Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Renegadenemo wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:02 pm We should have built the 64 version to keep our options open. Wonder if we can get hold of a Beryl and get Dumbelyung on the phone.
An interesting thought about turning back time ................ lets just leave it as a thought, perhaps?
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

I don't usually get involved with the politics and bull that has been thrown at us since I joined BBP in 2005 but I do take in and remember most of the crap that we have had to go through. First the hapless loony fund put us on hold for over a year. Then museioligists were telling us that it must be displayed as it is or we would be destroying history. Then came along one of these people with a bit of common sense and told us if the only way to do the job right was a total strip down. Probably need a crow bar and a good hammer to get some bits off it he remarked.
I was also present at the permit to run meeting where one of the committee seemed a bit concerned about the noise our boat would make. Again a man with some common reminded her that the R.A.F often did low level training in the area and if it were not for people with the spirit of the BBP back in the day they would be flying around with swastikas on the wings rather than roundels. So there are some people on these committees with common sense but unfortunately they are a rare breed.
As for the time it has taken whingers, I remember Bill putting out an open invitation for them to come and help out. They seemed to go very quiet after that and I cant remember a single one of them leaving their keypads and turning up.
And as mentioned before about anyone gaining from the project. I have to admit I have gained from it. Skills I would never have dreamed of before I joined. Comradeship is second to none, and that is counting my time in the armed forces. You cant buy that with money. Which by the way me and every member of the team has spent copious amounts on from their own pockets to work on the boat.
I really hope that one day the Coniston lot can get their heads into gear as I always thought that would be our first run. I live in hope.
One other thing Bill taught me that nothing is impossible. Pretty much true in the workshop, Getting sense or truth from bureaucrats or politicians I think there lies the flaw in that statement. But saying that I love Scotland and I hear that Bute hotels are filling fast for August so lets go for it up there.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Coniston/LDNPA- do you want this, or don't you?
Coniston, I think yes, but they'll need someone to take charge and they'll all have to work together under whoever is in charge.

LDNPA - I think they don't know how to 'want' something. People who think a degree in Urban Sustainability is a real qualification exist by pushing paper in their own dull, intellectual homeostasis. There's no drop down menu or form to fill in for 'wanting something' so I suspect that's that and what we won't see is learning leading to beneficial change but idiocy heaped on idiocy in true HLF style. We'll see.