Pic of the Day

midlife

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by midlife »

Oh dear, now you put it that way Bill....
I’ll have to watch it again when I get home, now I know the grim reality of that sequence, I wonder if it will still get my bottom lip trembling.
Cheers
Wayne

midlife

Post by midlife »

Sorry Bill, just watched it again, it still makes me blub [.]
Cheers
Wayne

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Renegadenemo wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:15 pm I wiped the left hand flag on the first ever dive, that was about October 2000. The one you see was staged. It involved sending down about five divers to sit on the bottom and just wait for the visibility to improve. Most were there to provide lighting and one to operate the camera. We were all on some helium mix or another, which causes two problems. One is you can't maintain your body temp and the other is the small molecules seep into bone and cartilage where N2 won't go thus increasing the decompression penalty in freezing water where you can't maintain your body temp. Never been so cold in my life! By the time the viz cleared and we got the shot I couldn't feel my hands. By the time I made the long 6m deco stop they were like blocks of wood and by the time I got aboard the boat it was all I could do to clamber aboard and wrap them in a warm towel. The pain of the circulation returning was excruciating and I was in the wheelhouse almost sobbing with it. So next time you think it's a great event - it bloody wasn't!
Ah, but was all that discomfort due to the fact that, being a Geordie, you insisted in doing the dive wearing only shorts and vest?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Nah he is crying as he is a regular human.... had it been a Norwegian diver, the hand would not have been gloved, and the diver would still be down there now, without a care in the world for the massive deco penalty that he was incurring.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Nah he is crying as he is a regular human...
The irony is, I used to dive in Norwegian ice-diving mitts. Ugly, cumbersome things but great for the poor circulation in my hands. I always suffered with Reynaud's Syndrome thanks to my maternal genes and as it worsened over the years it's one of the main reasons I stopped diving in cold water.
But on that day, for the money shot, it was decided I'd wear paper-thin neoprene dive gloves that made my hands look like hands but which may as well have not been there at all. That's why I was crying!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
SimonC

Post by SimonC »

Are you repainting the crossed Union Jacks on the bow and if so, what do the two flags signify?

(apologies if that's a daft question).
Stuart Baker

Post by Stuart Baker »

Hey guys, just seeing that picture of the fuel tank being painted and found myself wondering how you drain any water out of the fuel?

A sudden slug of water through the fuel pump won’t do it any good (https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/FR-1998-04-13/98-9581). Mixed in with the fuel, the lubricity impact is negligible, but in practice the water tends to seperate out and sink to the bottom.

S
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

The crossed union flags represent a British boat attempting a record in Britain. Throughout her career she ran with crossed Union and Stars and Stripes as well as crossed union and Australian flags. CN7 carried the same.
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!
conistoncollie

Post by conistoncollie »

**ANORAK ALERT**
In 1957 K7 ran on Consiston Water with Union/US crossed flags.
Not sure about the Scottish saltaire idea. Without wishing to get all political, I would prefer to see the crossed Union flags returned. Just my personal opinion.
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

Todays "Pic of the day" explains why my face is rarely visible!! Hells Teeth Mike, thats not a good one of me! :shock: :shock: :D :D :D
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..