Technical Talk

Canopener Al

Re: Technical Talk

Post by Canopener Al »

Good luck with the Water Brake hyds Bill. The ruddy Jag undercarriage took me months to sort out! I just wish I had it in my back yard so I could sort it, not the ruddy 100 mile around trip once a week If I am lucky!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Good luck with the Water Brake hyds Bill
Cheers... It;'s a ridiculously simple system too. A pump, one accumulator the size of a Thermos, a cut-in/cut-out damper and a selector valve.

Having stayed up all night (it seems) Checkie has offered a theory on the power supply to the selector that fits the symptoms bu testing it is a job that requires two and in the absence of any other willing Bluebirders today to press the water brake switch I'm off to the workshop with the star of the One Show - little Emily.

Will report in due course.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Got it - Checkie's diagnosis was bang on - two wires in the wrong pins in the supply to the selector valve meant that in one direction we had the single, relevant solenoid firing but in the other, both were energising causing a very unfortunate situation in the hydraulics.
The selector valve is designed to open one port to the supply pressure and another to the return side such that the ram extends and oil trapped in the retraction portion of the double acting ram can return freely to the tank - or vice versa. What was happening with both solenoids energised is that both sides of the ram were open to the supply pressure with the return port closed. This caused an over-pressure event in the circuit that first blew off a fitting at the rear, then pushed oil past the accumulator piston causing us to think it had failed as it's the repaired and modified original and we didn't know whether our modifications would work and assumed they hadn't, then it forced oil in a spurt past the gasket and the bolts at the top of the ram.

Ems and me went down today and swapped the wiring about then she sat in the cockpit and operated the switch so we could thoroughly test it. It's working perfectly now.
Ems in Cockpit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richie

Post by Richie »

It’s all lies unless we see footage of the ram going up and down Bill :D

Well done by the way.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

What Bill doesn't make clear is that it was me who put the original connections in.

A Senior Moment 👴🏻

I'll get my coat ....

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It matters not who put the connections in. Fail as a team, succeed as a team. That's how it works.

Besides, should have seen the teamwork the other night when l dropped a load of fiddly bits from the selector valve into the bilges! :?

andypugh

Birmabright

Post by andypugh »

Asking somewhere else, it was suggested to me that the project might like some Birmabright on the basis that that is what Bluebird was originally covered in.

About 40 years ago my dad managed to wangle 8 8x4 sheets of Birmabright out of the factory to build a camper van with. (He had been working there fixing a rolling mill gearbox and made the right contacts). He never got round to building that particular camper van, and the sheets are still in his barn.
One sheet has been half-used for other projects.

As might be expected, after 40 years in a barn the sheets are dusty and no longer mill-fresh. But are probably rather shinier than I would have expected.

After 40 years the metal might well have age-hardened, and be less useful (I know that BB is not supposed to age-harden, but there are limits)
Also I have no reason to believe that BB is in any way special relative to modern equivalents.

And, finally, I have only my own recollection that the material is Birmaright, and a ten-year-old's memory of collecting it from Birmingham on the way back from holiday. It seems to be unmarked, so grade is equally a mystery.
K7boats

Refuelling point on the 1958 K7

Post by K7boats »

Hello all I was wondering and I know someone could tell me if the half cone shaped point on the 1958 Bluebird is the refuelling point? Ive attached a picture any help welcome, the half cone is about half way down hull now on Bluebird it is blanked of by a ovel like shaped aluminium cover.
Thanks,
Al.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
K7boats

Post by K7boats »

Hello Mike thanks for that Mike could you tell me was the fuel fill in the same place as it was in 66/67 thanks again,
Al.
Canopener Al

A stupid question .. Or maybe not.

Post by Canopener Al »

Just seen the lead weights appear on the last picture of the day. That picture has raise a question in my head that has been lurking for some time about the restoration of K7. Of course those lead weights had to be added because the money Donald had didn't include during the 66 modifications to actually do the maths accurately to rebalance the boat without trial and error. I would have doubted that the actual weight and moment of the craft was actually worked out until its first trials in late 66 that proved the trim was way out. Of course K7 is not the same trim as the 4th of July 1967, it has half the world supply of polysulphide sealant on it, plus lots of addition metal to repair the holes. I would doubt the trim is anything close to allowing sucessful planning to happen first attempt. While trial and error may only be the solution with funding and outside help, has anyone asked outside help in weight and balance and if anyone in the right field could stick weight and moment calculations into a suitable program to say.. "Stick X pounds there and the thing will rise? Of course if the budget says no, simple answer is go and play..