Isle of Bute

Malcolm Ops

Re: Isle of Bute

Post by Malcolm Ops »

pumpkinboy1991 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:58 pm Our attempt will be with a dedicated hovercraft (no wings), but our hoverwing in "hover-only" guise will be a good guinea pig for getting data and info that we can transfer into a hovercraft dedicated to attempting the record. Currently it stands at 85mph (surprisingly low!) set in 1995. I think the point you raised about which body would recognise it is a contributing factor to why the record has never been broken.
It would appear that the record is recognised over the 'flying kilometre' on water by Guinness World Records (GWR). That will make it impossible for your team, Ollie, to run the craft at Records Week (Byelaws!). If you know where Guy Martin was planning his bid that may be the stretch of water to use.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
pumpkinboy1991

Post by pumpkinboy1991 »

Thanks Mike! :)

Yes, it will take a bit of thinking and planning to establish the best place to attempt it. I did watch the episode of speed with Guy Martin's attempt at breaking the record - I have no idea why they used the design of hovercraft that they did, I can only assume it was due to budget and time constraints as the design was not suitable for high speed, more like an F1 style hovercraft! Fair play to Guy though, he's got some big cojones :lol: :lol:

Would be fun to take the hovercraft down to records week unofficially for a run and to watch the other attempts, although there are probably rules that would rule this out too :lol:
Bahnstormer

Post by Bahnstormer »

Looking forward to seeing the boat run !!
'Questio Liberum Via'
Munros

Accommodation on Bute

Post by Munros »

Hi All,
I just met Bill Smith on Bute this morning. I mentioned that we have a self-catering house on the island with availability during August and he suggested I post details here.
We have the week of Sat 11th-Sat 18th August available and can sleep up to 14 adults plus 4 kids. The house is listed here with photos : https://www.groupaccommodation.com/prop ... e-scotland
Our own website is here http://www.munrosselfcatering.house/
We take bookings direct on 01700 502346..

Regards

Andy
Munro's
Isle of Bute
andrewlamb73

Hotel Accommodation

Post by andrewlamb73 »

GOOD MORNINIG AND A MASSIVE WELL DONE AND WELCOME FROM THE BUTE HOUSE HOTEL.
I am the very recent new owner of this harbor situated property.
WhatsApp on +447422374632.
I would like to make an offer and a donation as follows. For any guest staying in the hotel that is associated to the race testing I will donate 10% of room rate to your project. For any of your actual team members, it would be my pleasure to offer a 5 for price of 4 on rooms/people. And I would be happy to offer an overnight stay as a raffle or tomobola to your visitors and a guided tour in my Chip Foose designed Mustang, I am a race fanatic and no matter what will be there supporting this amazing achievement and event.

Warm regards
Andrew
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Andrew,

The team have their accommodation sorted, thanks, but I'm sure there will be many more people wanting to book up between now and Aug so we'll point them at those who've offered places to stay.

Mike, I wonder if this needs its own thread so these offers don't get bumped ever further down the postings?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
andrewlamb73

Post by andrewlamb73 »

Cheers for reply and thoughts on way forward . We all want to make this a comfortable success story
Aquaracer

Great for Bute

Post by Aquaracer »

Hi,
Just registered. I visited Coniston last year and had been wondering about the relaunch.Smiles all round when I heard the news.I travel to Rothesay weekly on business and here is the "dream " event on my doorstep. Wow - what a treat and this is great news for Bute.I hope the local authority realise what they have happening in August.
Also Calmac - as a business who make their living from the sea I would like to think that they will be supporting this amazing boost for Bute. ( Have they offered any concessions re ferry charges etc. for shipping Bluebird - they should be welcoming it with fanfares)
I look forward to seeing you all - and K7 in August.
Tom

PS. Any idea what boat you are planning to be on (3rd August)?
SidneyKidney

Post by SidneyKidney »

Hi
First of all the news that Bluebird is coming to Bute is fantastic and we are really looking forward to it :) I have been trying to follow some of the posts on the forum and im glad my island has already been supportive and helpful with regards to accomodation. I'd like to think we are known for our good hospitality. :)

I see mention of CalMac and yes travel is always a difficult point when getting to and from Bute. They have the monopoly on ferries on the island and are whilst age concessions are available they are unlikely to make concessions for special group bookings such as this. Travelling by car to the island can be very expensive.

At some point somebody will be Googling 'car hire on bute' so I wanted to make everyone aware about the Car Bute community car club that is run by Fyne Futures. More information can be found on the website but it can be ideal for anyone visiting the island for a short period looking for ease of transport. Buses are not available directly to the area of Loch Fad so this could be ideal for someone.

I work with Fyne Futures and would be keen to speak to anyone directly involved in the team bringing the Bluebird Project to Bute. If they are seeking transport around Bute around that time I'd like to make sure the Car Bute car is available to them should they wish it.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Ahhh, I did wonder about car hire on the Isle as I stay at Mount Stuart when I'm thee and it's a bit of a walk from the ferry so I drive up there but the train is way more relaxing and I love Wemyss Bay station - it holds very fond memories from when used to travel up there with my old fishing buddy, Barnsey, before we could drive. If there's a car I can rent I'll come up on the train instead. Coming back in May to sort more stuff so please PM me with the details. Many thanks.

Bill
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.