Richie's Little Tank

midlife

Richie's Little Tank

Post by midlife »

Hi Richie,
I’m on with a 1/16 scale project that might be more up your street than the WC51 I did, it a MkV Chieftain. I’m on with scratch building the hull & I’ve 3d printed the wheels, suspension, sprockets, idlers & return rollers, I’m making a start printing the turret tomorrow, it’s in 4 parts & will take a total of just over 70 hours to print, can’t say I’m looking forward to this.
Tapatalk is playing funny buggers tonight & wont let me post pics, I’ll give it another go after work tomorrow.
Cheers
Wayne

A quick reboot of my phone & now it works....
ImageImage

Richie

Re: Richie's Little Tank

Post by Richie »

Canny, we have a 1/16 Tiger and a 1/16 panzer 3 at our house, we are banned from playing with them on account they both fire ball bearings now.

The panzer was custom painted in Kursk colour scheme...
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

If you can do a Cromwell ARV

I would be massively impressed ! Pal of mine is restoring the real deal at the minute.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
midlife

Richie's Little Tank

Post by midlife »

Hi Richie,
To progress my 1/4 scale K7 I needed to learn CAD & how to manipulate plasticard, that drove me towards RC tanks.
I’ve got 2 Tiger 1’s, a Jagdpanther and a Jagdpanzer IV L70. I’m brilliant at taking them apart but it takes time rebuilding them with as many upgraded parts as possible.
A Cromwell is on the to do list, I’ve a 1/35 scale version for reference. Just about to get a laser scanner at work, I’ll try & get the sprues scanned & scale them up to print, variants shouldn’t be an issue once I have the 3D models.
Cheers
Wayne
Edit, ball bearings, Jesus, bet they hurt! I’m sticking with IR...

Richie

Post by Richie »

Quick montage from this years Normandy trip

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Always had a proper soft spot for the little tank. Good to see 'Tank Driver Harrison' back in action...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

HAHAHHAHA I totally forgot about that mate !

The track I used sounds great when played by massed pipes and drums, maybe our friends at Bute could play us ashore with it ;)

The track being from the movie “How to train your dragon”,

Seems apt.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Richie this picture may interest you. During world war 2 my father was a staff sergeant with REME serving with the 8th army in north Africa. He died in 1997 and I got all his papers including three copies of the 8th Army weekly news called Crusader given to soldiers serving out in Africa. Copies dated December 1942 February 1943 and April 1943. Getting a bit fragile but you are welcome to have the one with this picture in. An interesting read. This is an original paper not a photo copy.
P1010140.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richie

Post by Richie »

That is exceptionally kind of you Ernie, you should really keep it though, I have my grandfathers letters / post card type things too from the war. Ian may want them ;) I would imagine your grandfather saw some amazing and horrific things during his time in the army. The mighty 8th and the desert war is all to often forgotten about, much like Burma or Italy.

A scan would be good ?

Once again, thankyou for the fantastic offer, it is appreciated.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Richie I have followed your thread from the outset and found it very interesting and displayed a genuine and heart felt interest in the history of the 8th Army etc. Two of the newspapers have my fathers(not my grandfather- Ian's grandfather) name written across the top in his own handwriting so they have a direct association to him. The third with the tank picture does not. Ian will get one of the two with the other going to my other son Darren who was in the Green Howards. It will please me for you to have the third, my reward for the work you have done on 'richies little tank and K7' restoring important pieces of history . Please keep an old man happy.

My father spoke very little about the war until his last few months when he was fading away slowly. He had numerous marks on his back that looked like healed up bullet holes and he would never say what happened. After he died I got his army service record and found reference to an accident in north africa when something blew up and he got the brunt of the shrapnel in his back. The one thing he did say once and only very briefly was the image he had carried around for decades was of the bodies of the enemy piled up with petrol poured on and set alight.

After the war he served as a senior civil servant in Hanover Germany from 1945 to 1952 on the control commission running Germany. I lived there just after I was born in 1947 until 1952. My brother was born in Germany which caused a little problem when he applied to join the Royal Marines in 1967 but he got in and served for a long time getting the Queens award for Brave Conduct.(presented to him by the Duke of Edinburgh)

Please PM me with your address and I will send you the newspaper. I think its fitting it goes with Richies Little Tank. BTW It will make my life easier, I make good working models but have not mastered how to do scans :oops: :roll:

BTW re tank models. About 20 years ago a friend of mine in the model boat club who was also a skilled model engineer made a large model of a tiger tank. He made every part including all the track parts. He was however not skilled in getting things to work well and it was handed to me to get it to work. I made it run forward/backwards, the gun turn and fire. The tricky bit was getting the tank to recoil correctly when the gun was fired but I got there. My friend died and I believe the model is now in the Tank Museum. It was never painted.