Technical Talk

Engine 711

Re: Technical Talk

Post by Engine 711 »

rich1608 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:22 am There were permanent Proteus generators for the national grid as well https://youtu.be/-kzvfXTpwUs
One of them has been preserved at the Museum of Internal Fire in Wales https://youtu.be/JAuTkPj-LG0
Indeed so - the very 1st being on Dartmoor - as in the first YouTube clip.

Believe Prot's were installed as back up power at a number of 'Atomic' power stations - certainly Wylfa had them (designed to have 4, in buildings - 5th ex-mobile added), maybe others....? Way before my time.... ;)
Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

midlife wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:34 pm Being a current RR employee, I had to read the post out abut the Ansty generator, there are people in the office rolling round with tears in their eyes, strangely enough no one was surprised👍
Cheers
Wayne
The time I recall, was around the late 90's....? The Ansty set had had a major refurb, on the back of refurbing the Wylfa sets (the Ansty moby was the guinea pig...). I worked with Paul (B) who organised most of the work. When the lights went, we looked at Paul - 'It'll start in a couple of minutes...' he said, not very confidently..... Lols.

To be fair, there were 2 independent grid feeds - and the Prot electric start could access either of them. The plan was that both supplies would never go down together. Err.. right... :shock:

The Ansty site is still there - wonder if the Prot is too....?
midlife

Post by midlife »

I can’t help it, I just recoil in horror when anyone builds a massive building right in the middle of a runway, the satellite image is heartbreaking grrr..
Cheers
Wayne
Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

midlife wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:33 pm I can’t help it, I just recoil in horror when anyone builds a massive building right in the middle of a runway, the satellite image is heartbreaking grrr..
Cheers
Wayne
Sorry...? Not following here. You mean at RR Ansty.....?

Looking on Google Maps I cannot see anything I don't recognise, from the late 90's. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.... :?
midlife

Post by midlife »

Oops, sorry for the late reply!
Yes I’m on about Ansty, the runway isn’t as pronounced in the satalite image as it used to be, but you can still see it.
On the Google satalite image the runway can be seen exiting from the plant diagonally from the bottom left corner.
Sorry I can’t post the pic as I can’t access this thread via Tapatalk, for those wishing to have a look the postcode for google maps is CV7 9JR.
Cheers
Wayne
Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

midlife wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:57 am Oops, sorry for the late reply!
Yes I’m on about Ansty, the runway isn’t as pronounced in the satalite image as it used to be, but you can still see it.
On the Google satalite image the runway can be seen exiting from the plant diagonally from the bottom left corner.
Sorry I can’t post the pic as I can’t access this thread via Tapatalk, for those wishing to have a look the postcode for google maps is CV7 9JR.
Cheers
Wayne
Still cannot understand.... You mean the Big White Building, top Left....? Thats been there ages - think it was/is Manufacturing - :?

I have no problem using this Forum, as it is. Had to look up what Tapatalk was.... 8-)
midlife

Post by midlife »

Now all of a sudden it’s letting me in thru Tapatalk.
Here’s what I mean
Cheers
Wayne

Engine 711

Post by Engine 711 »

The lower, smaller white building is what I meant - which is within the original RR site - and does appear to be on a bit of ex-runway - and is AFAIK, an RR building.

The other bigger building (which look very new..?) simply isnt there, on Google Maps as seen on a PC.....!! Not sure it on ex-runway either. Part of the new - talked-about-for-years Ansty Business park, I believe.
midlife

Technical Talk

Post by midlife »

Before the newer development of the business park, you could see the whole runway with the single building plonked right in the middle. It’s the thought process that decided to put it there that miffs me a little lol
I’ve been at RR for 30 years now, based in Barnoldswick for my sins, got to admit it’s starting to feel like a prison camp.
Cheers
Wayne

thunderer

Post by thunderer »

I see what you mean about the PC Google maps version... Have just looked and taken this screen shot.

Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"