The Sponsons Thread

Mark Elvin

Re: The Sponsons Thread

Post by Mark Elvin »

Renegadenemo wrote:
Those planing shoes look very nice, what's the finished weight vs billet weight like?
I'll have to re-check the exact figures because the ones I have are prior to a change made to the CAD model after we realised we'd initially worked to an earlier drawing but the billets are a shade over 350kg and the finished parts are a shade under 49kg - that's a shedload of swarf!
Similar "buy to fly" as our diffuser floor section then, 500kg billet down to a shade under 50kg!!!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Similar "buy to fly" as our diffuser floor section then, 500kg billet down to a shade under 50kg!!!
We got lucky because the wedges and shoes are long rectangles but those sections you showed look like they cover a lot of ground. I know what ours should have cost too so yours must have been an arm and a leg!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Another bloody long day in the workshop on the sponsons. We assembled the structure to the two planing surfaces for the first time today. The forward, sloping part is referred to on the drawings as a 'shoe' and the planing wedge, or 'float wedge' as it's called is aft of that. They're big chunks of alloy, the shoe is 53 inches long and the wedge is a full six feet! Apart from the outer skins that's a complete sponson and one thing we've always wondered is how heavy a sponson is. We've not weighed one but so far two people can easily lift one. We'll pop a pic on the POTD later in the week.

Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Re- "Another long day in the workshop" I truly admired you guys today (even with what is going on out there) and whilst I got on with the engine cover with Gillian's assistance on the rivet gun. I could not fail to notice the head scratching the slaving over dear old Ken's drawings the shear determination to nail every last detail correctly in recreating those sponsons. I real pain in the Arse job guys! But when it is done you can look back and say
"Thank god we finished those *^%%£$£"! :shock:
Deep Respect Gentlemen
Novie
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
cookie1600

Re: Lakeland Motor Museum/'Across The Lake' Mock Up/Sponsons

Post by cookie1600 »

f1steveuk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:54 pm I don't know what name the office Lew worked from at Ricebridge/Bolney traded under, but it was all very post Norris Bros I believe, and Lew' didn't seem to have a lot of time for history.
Hi Steve and as my first post (been lurking and admiring the teams work on here for absolutely years) I'd like to bring this tiny bit of the forum up to date. Sorry to drag an old thread out of the cobwebs!

Firstly I believe we kind of know each other, as I'm sure you worked with my Dad at an Eastbourne garage business that's now under a retail park in Seaside? If I also remember correctly, you were going out with a lass I went school with way back then (Kim?). If not apologies for the error.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. I now work next door to Norris Brothers 'pink house' office, in fact I'm about 10 feet away from it as I type this. Here's some shots I've just taken:
20180829_143731.jpg
20180829_143852.jpg
20180829_143947.jpg
Many of the Norris Brothers businesses were registered to the Ricebridge House address and I believe Lew used it as his office for a number of years before retiring. https://companycheck.co.uk/director/903 ... /companies

The reason I've just piped up about this after all this time is that I've head on the grapevine that the house is likely to be demolished as the company formally owning this estate (Norris Brothers Ltd?) has sold it on to another concern who are doing some redevlopment. It's kind of sad knowing another bit of history, something literally on my doorstep, is going to be removed without a trace. We still have Flotronic Pumps opposite, another Norris Brothers enterprise, so the memory kind of continues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Ask if we can have the sign from above the door for the workshop wall...

cookie1600

Post by cookie1600 »

Renegadenemo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:17 pm Ask if we can have the sign from above the door for the workshop wall...
Will do Bill. As soon as I see the demolition team (maybe before....) I'll be up on a ladder with my screwdriver. I'll also have a good look around inside when allowed, in case anything historically important still exists.
"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose"
cookie1600

Post by cookie1600 »

Renegadenemo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:17 pm Ask if we can have the sign from above the door for the workshop wall...
Will Do Bill. I'll also check inside (with permission) when the demolition team turn up just to see no historically important paperwork or artefacts are destroyed.
Richie

Post by Richie »

I got a really cold shudder when I saw the sponsons thread had arisen

Something we all chipped in on, but John and I still bear the mental scars with !

Given recent events.....didn’t we all do well with them ! :)
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Richie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:22 pmGiven recent events.....didn’t we all do well with them ! :)
You did indeed! :)

Nigel