Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Renegadenemo

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by Renegadenemo »

Best I do a thorough job with this...
I don't doubt for one moment that those closely involved with the Bluebird Project have done what they have with the very best intentions, however I also sincerely believe that most of those really closely involved seem to have developed some sort of collective paranoia. The main symptom of which is believing that anyone with an alternative view to their own is "out to get them". This mindset appears to stop the BBP from engaging constructively with important third parties like The Coniston Bluebird Committee & the National Parks Authority. A similar attitude was very publicly displayed during the BBP's failed negotiations with the Heritage Lottery Fund. "Negotiations" that are conducted by megaphone & mainly seem to involve insults & derision are in my experience rarely if ever successful.
Paranoia? People out to get us? I hardly think so. Alternative views are many, varied and generally respected. The megaphone only comes out when simple concepts are not being absorbed. We have engaged over a long time with the LDNPA, how do you think the byelaw got amended? And we had a meeting with them only a few weeks ago. I even rose to their defence this week when the Coniston committee, with whom we've also engaged for years and met with only a couple of weeks ago, committed the cardinal sin of press releases (because they haven't a clue what they're doing) in issuing a release without consulting those whom it may affect. The LDNPA has its hands tied until they get an application and so far there is no application. Nothing we can do but you have to ask what they've been doing to get ready for this for the past ten years.
As for the HLF, that was a magnificent adventure. They didn't want to put us down because it would have been embarrassing for them as ours was perceived as such an important project but they were determined they would display a wreck and that wasn't happening. After the first failed application we discovered their decision was based on their 'experts' reports. Remember? Couldn't mend it without 'considerable loss of original fabric', which clearly showed they'd not read the detailed Conservation Management Plan produced by Chris Knapp - head of conservation at IWM Duxford - and that was extremely disrespectful. Or the famous 'BBP is poor value for money because no one under the age of forty would be interested'. They were mostly idiots so we exposed it every time they displayed it. No hope for the second application yet right to the death they wanted to display a wreck. The upside was a lot of beneficial change for applicants who followed later, would you believe they wrote to their 'experts' to say best go visit the object next time and be careful of what they say because someone might challenge their views!
The BBP should appreciate that any "homecoming" will inevitably involve a great deal of inconvenience for the residents of Coniston, something that possibly the majority of whom aren't particularly keen on. That running K7 on Coniston is nothing like running her on a small patch of water on a remote island in Scotland, and to ensure a successful event a lot of egos need smoothing & bridges need to be built. Something that the BBP has consistently proven pretty much incapable of doing. The tawdry "Christmas light episode" this week was typical of the sniping & bullying carried out by members of the BBP. We all knew someone at school who would whack another kid round the head with a ruler & then tell you they were only joking!
If the Coniston folk don't want the inconvenience they should stand up and say so. If they want an event they should all pull together and create one. We built a working machine by building the most amazing and enduring bridges. I was presenting at Rolls-Royce's Derwent Building last night. And when it came to working on Bute all the right ingredients were there. Ingredients sadly lacking in Coniston. Does it not seem strange that when we work with professional people and organisations everyone gets on like a house on fire and things get done? See a pattern emerging?
And, as for Christmas lights, they wrote down in the public domain that they couldn't afford lights for the tree by the Campbell memorial so we sent them some. I don't remember them calling us and asking if we would sponsor said lights - seeing the pattern yet?
The unholy row about K7's "Spiritual Home", which was started by Bill Smith only adds fuel to what is already a very intense fire.
What unholy row? It's an opinion. Is Titanic's spiritual home in the north Atlantic or is it Belfast?
The controlling members of the BBP need to decide whether the boat they rebuilt is (as most followers of the project believed was the case) going to run for proving trials on Coniston & then for most of its life, be resident in the specially built wing of the Ruskin Museum on public exhibition, or as now appears to be the case live in solitary isolation in the North East occasionally becoming a travelling curiosity made to perform at carnivals & exhibitions to the highest bidder wherever they may be, like an elderly but impressive performing elephant.
It's not for the BBP to decide whether K7 runs on Coniston - we'll happily play the gig if the people over there put it together and we've already said there's no problem with displaying the boat in the museum when she's not out running, which will be most of the time. No intention for her to sit in the North East but it's not happening until terms are agreed and signed in blood so coming to the table to agree that is just one more thing we're waiting to get sorted. As for the carnival bidding nonsense, that isn't worthy of a reply.
Personally I think there should be opportunities to run K7 other than on Coniston in the future, but to try & rewrite history & claim that K7 & Coniston are not eternally linked is simply deluded.
Who has suggested any such thing? Of course they are eternally linked. Where did that idea come from?
I have tried not to be overly negative in my comments above, but know that I am not the only person who feels that this needed saying.
Negative is good if it's constructive but disrespectful if pitched without the necessary research and understanding of the facts.

And, as a small footnote, after we publicly sacked the HLF their North West team was quietly disbanded and their chief constructively dismissed. Yet I keep in touch with him to this day because on a personal level we got on very well and still do. Don't talk to me about building bridges!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

In the past 20 years or so I have had my fair share of forum discussions, I have issued (and also received) fierce blows. I have never been shy of an argument. But in the end it has never lead to anything but high blood pressure.

That beeing said, I think some things should not be discussed on public forums - especially when it comes to opinions (politics). In almost all cases its simply impossible to come to a reasonable conclusion - simply because of hurt feelings on both sides. So to kick someones a** - yes, a good way to vent, but to get to a usually difficult compromise - not a good idea.

So if you don't want to end up in a legal dispute about which blue fragments belongs to whom and as a result displaying some blue pieces in Coniston and some others beeing stored in a northern workshop, my advise is to stop arguing publicly and to get yourself a trained mediator, someone who is neutral and well respected from all sides. This situation needs compromises, noone will be completely right.

Only if that fails, then vent.

Best regards (and still hoping to see something blue skim over a lake somewhere up north next year)
Joerg
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Sadly, it's not about arguing, it's the regrettable task of having to keep putting the truth out there because if you don't people either make it up or assume you have something to hide, or both. You only have to look at what keeps happening to Nigel. I'd rather be called a t**t today and let time be the judge. It's worked so far. We've done everything we said we'd do and delivered on every promise and that's how it goes.
So if you don't want to end up in a legal dispute about which blue fragments belongs to whom and as a result displaying some blue pieces in Coniston and some others beeing stored in a northern workshop
But therein is an interesting possibility if no resolution could be found. It wouldn't involve lawyers but the accountants could soon demonstrate which bits belonged where and a clean divorces would leave the museum with a pile of bits they could mock up with wood and Perspex to look like the finished job whilst we'd have an equal sized pile that we could augment with new-build to create Bluebird 2 and just imagine what we could do with that!

JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

What's the truth worth these days when liars call information fake news and their own BS alternative facts?

Don't waste your time arguing about (the/your) truth on forums. There will always be people blaming your for doing so. They say, if you need to defend yourself, then there must be some truth in the accusation - even if totally wrong. You will never ever be able to convince them. And there are a lot of people out there who need to belittle others to get over their own failure. By dealing with their nonsense you can only lose.

Besides this, in this case THE truth seams to have two sides. Only following the forum it looks to me as if a lot of what has been done in the past 20 years is based on good intentions, but also in good faith - and not so much based on written, reliable contracts. From both sides. In such cases it can happen that different sides have different views to THE truth - or better, what each side thinks it is. This can happen in the best families.

You and your team have delivered, no doubt about that - and as I said earlier - for which I have the greatest respect. Very well done. But it seams as if the other side of the party had expected something different. In good faith and hoping it would turn out as they thought it would happen.

That's how it is. The question is: where to go from here? Divorce or find a compromise which works ok for both sides. Both sides should ask themselves what they'd lose on a divorce. What they would lose, but also what the world would lose, if that beautiful machine we saw on Bute would be ripped apart? How much is each side willing to give in to prevent this from happening? Or is this the plan? Does any side rather have half of the blue pieces for their own?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It's all very simple. The museum owns half and we own the other half so we give them 80% of the year to display her and we take her on tour for the other 20%. Now all they have to do is agree to agree, sign the contracts and everyone wins. Or she could be wheeled in there, the doors closed behind her and she never sees the light of day again. Who's up for that?

sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Renegadenemo wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:56 am It's all very simple. The museum owns half and we own the other half so we give them 80% of the year to display her and we take her on tour for the other 20%. Now all they have to do is agree to agree, sign the contracts and everyone wins.
If I was offered that deal, I would bite the BBP's hands off. It is a complete and utter no brainer.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

If I was offered that deal, I would bite the BBP's hands off. It is a complete and utter no brainer.
Of course it is, especially when they can roll into the deal that they have to accompany us to wherever we go with their merch and promotional machinery to swell the coffers and raise awareness of the village, museum, etc. We do all the hard work putting on the shows, lifting and shifting, etc and they ride our coat tails shaking a tin with our total support.
I wish someone had worked their lives away for fifteen years to offer us such an opportunity. I'd be running around after them with a fountain pen!

JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

I fear the other side thinks the blue pieces are 100% theirs, you and your team happily voluntueered to donate all your hard work and all the new parts. Now that you are finally done (gee, what took you so long?) you should step back and have them take the credit.

I assume there is no written contract about your part in this story. So instead of assuming everything was a donation, one could equally well assume they (the legal owner) had purchased a full restoration job from you when you were given the remains. I would guess nobody has spoken about payment or costs back then, but does that automatically mean its all for free?

Maybe it makes sense to list and sum up all the values that went into the project, starting from searching the wreck, recovering it (and also DC), rebuilding the remains, making new parts, displaying parts at the museum, to the team trails on Bute. Sum work, parts, services - including donated materials, parts and services, because these were donated to the BBP and not to the owner thus represent the value of what BBP has done.

I would think the list itself and also the sum will be very impressive, thus it would give the other side a better understanding of what they think is for free. I'd hope they will feel embarrassed for expexting it to be free.

Right now it seams as if the other side just has no understanding for what great deal you are offering them.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Right now it seams as if the other side just has no understanding for what great deal you are offering them.
Two problems there. Yes - they have no clue as to what has been done and what they stand to gain nor how appreciative they ought to be to the dedicated team who have done this for them. Then there is the fact that they shouldn't be 'the other side'. We expected them to work as hard as we have towards a common goal but they haven't and not a day goes by that I don't hear from someone how undeserving they are of all the hard work that has gone into resurrecting K7.
So, as they have chosen not to be our partners in this venture, we offer a compromise and await their answer. Don't see how we can be any more fair.

JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

I have no other idea than to look for a mediator, someone who is respected from both sides, a person who gets heard and who might be able to enlighten some people.

I can only speak for myself, but I would really like to see K7 beeing alive. There are some videos of Sir Malcoms earlier blue bird cars on Youtube. It's so much of a difference to hear the sound and see them drive - even on Youtube - compared to just seeing a later, but original dead piece of metal sit in a museum in Daytona (vistited the race track and the museum last year). Hearing the roar of K7 and seeing her skim accross the water is even more breath taking. I keep my fingers crossed that a compromise will be found.