What have forum members been up to?

JohnTheBikeMan

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by JohnTheBikeMan »

Nothing particularly exciting, passing CBT, buying a mo'bike, silly stuff like that.

I wrote it up for my blog, not what you'd call prolific but I prefer to write stuff that's relevant not just post for the sake of it.

Also VERY proud of Number 1 Son, apprenticed to a engineering firm after 2 years of college and making his own way at last.

https://johnthebikeman.blogspot.com/
I am the one who guided you this far
All you know and all you feel
Nobody must know my name
For nobody would understand
And you kill what you feel...
Canopener Al

Post by Canopener Al »

Well on Saturday, my lot have been up to this. :D :D :D

[youtube]n8rrq_OeY_A&t=37s[/youtube]

Richie

Post by Richie »

WOW !!! And that folks, is how they do that !

A massive congratulations to you and the team.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle »

(As an aside to other topics at the moment) We spent last weekend participating in a Motorcycle sprint, up the driveaway of Hoghton Tower.
A grand time was had by all, apart from,maybe, the chap that fell off his BMW! (he was uninjured, as far as we are aware)
There was a fair array of bikes, old & new. I had the experience of racing a friends Honda CBR600RR as my bike was deemed to big!!!! (ha ha! 2300cc, too big? the very idea!!) the first time I'd ridden a 4 cylinder bike for 29 years!, needless to say, I didn't set any records.
Yes, this was competing!
TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!
ThornyBush

Post by ThornyBush »

Some great bikes in that post... I wish my arm was OK to go for a ride out..for me a quiet weekend, a little bit of one handed sanding work on a rib, a chip butty with some very, very, good people, a good chat about using workshop tools, guitars and music with the next generation, a few beers after with my better half and next day followed by a run out in the car to see a Victorian water counterbalance funicular in Saltburn, the last time I was on it was probably 40 odd years ago - great engineering replicated and enacted by a team, and running for all to see!
Smaller scale and quite gentile compared to some projects I know, but maybe sounds familiar....accessible, working, audible/sensory, visible engineering for all to experience! http://www.saltburnbysea.com/html/clifflift.html
"Turned Out Nice Again!"
""There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one."
Motorbikes, Big Blue "Boats", 1/2 Scale Wooden Silver Boats.... and Craft Ales (but not all at the same time)...
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

for me a quiet weekend, a little bit of one handed sanding work on a rib, a chip butty with some very, very, good people, a good chat about using workshop tools, guitars and music with the next generation
Sat was a great day - very relaxing and the first time in a very long time that we took our foot off the gas. Quite looking forward to getting the old RIB wet and a few lobsters in the boiling pot for tea.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

Got myself my own piece of old british metal last weekend :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ThornyBush

Post by ThornyBush »

Very nice 350cc - looks in excellent condition
"Turned Out Nice Again!"
""There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one."
Motorbikes, Big Blue "Boats", 1/2 Scale Wooden Silver Boats.... and Craft Ales (but not all at the same time)...
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

The bike has undergone a restoration, but I can't tell when. It was first registered in Germany in 1991, then sold to an old bikes enthusiast in 1992 who owned it until last year when he died. It looks like a AJS 16M and the manufacturing date was estimated to 1946. Both frame and motor numbers indicate 1947 though - but the motor number also indicates the sister model Matchless G3L. I will have the AJS&Matchless owners club check the factory papers, maybe they can find out details.

Optically it's in good, restored condition, professional paint job. Technically I can't tell yet. It runs, the motor sounds good, no mechanical noises compared to some youtube videos of such machines. I have to check the magneto and also the dyno, no battery installed and both front and tail lights are disconnected. Its missing a speedo cable and the front tyre is almost 30 years old, rear is new, but a Mitas. The rims are painted silver - they should be either black or chrome - depending on the year.

So there is some work left to get her going again, but so far it doesn't look bad. Ran her up and down the road in front of the house already :D
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Ah - ze German has bought a Britisher bike, ya?

Fair enough seeing as we buy enough of your bloody cars - Merc' man through and through, I am. :lol:

But, seriously, if we can help you find parts or with your research or whatever just say the word. Where's our Checkie when we need him? He knows all about such things. CHECKIE!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.