Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Renegadenemo

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by Renegadenemo »

I keep my fingers crossed that a compromise will be found.
There's no doubt about that. It's just the latest instance of having to overcome the old inertia via apathy thing. The irritating thrush-like, 'can't be done' condition flaring up again. Too much work and effort to push to the next level but, hey, guess what, soon as you get there it's all amazing and the journey didn't seem so bad, don't ya know...

One day the museum will be stood alongside of us at the boat show or on a shore in Australia promoting their village, selling their merch' and shaking their collecting tin saying what a marvellous idea this all was.

We're a smoot too proactive, can-do and ambitious for the world in which we live, methinks, but no apology so keep up!
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
longarmedgibbon

Post by longarmedgibbon »

This museum row thing is like the 2 children pulling a teddy. *it mine !” ,”its mine” “ no its mine!”
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

longarmedgibbon wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:09 am This museum row thing is like the 2 children pulling a teddy. *it mine !” ,”its mine” “ no its mine!”
In the end all conflicts of the world, all wars ever held, can be broken down to that: 2 parties having different interests. To be "grown up" means to overcome this and to find a compromise. To me "its ours, but you can have it 80%, I only 20%" is more than a fair offer.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

In fairness to all there actually isn't a row. We've put the teddy together again (I like that analogy) and want to access to our hard work but no one has drawn battle lines or dug trenches. We've not even sent our draft proposals over to the museum yet where, you never know, they might just say, yes, that's fine. Trouble is, there's a tiny minority who would, given the chance, home-port the boat in the museum and close the doors forever and for them to fly in the face of any sane person and the vast body of opposing public opinion they unfortunately are the type that need the megaphone.

Bluebird-Hungary

Post by Bluebird-Hungary »

I just saw this on Facebook and wondered if it's a wind-up. No official announcement from you, as far as I know, Bill. Also ... one of the headings is wonderful: ' Lock Fad Successful Sea Trials 2018 ' ...... Loch .. not 'Lock' ... and .. 'sea trials' !!!

Here's the site address: https://bluebirdconiston.com
Scots Pine

Post by Scots Pine »

Bluebird-Hungary wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:50 pm I just saw this on Facebook and wondered if it's a wind-up. No official announcement from you, as far as I know, Bill. Also ... one of the headings is wonderful: ' Lock Fad Successful Sea Trials 2018 ' ...... Loch .. not 'Lock' ... and .. 'sea trials' !!!

Here's the site address: https://bluebirdconiston.com
Also...

"Following these trials and decommissioning, Bluebird K7 will be ready to go into the purpose-built Bluebird Wing of the Ruskin Museum..."

Decommissioning? Ummm I think not!
Richie

Post by Richie »

I shouldn’t worry.....

Mind we have not been kept in the loop for a while now.

Mind, I noticed that the “Decomissioned” word appeared again.
Last edited by Richie on Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Bit that made me chuckle was that they didn't include a link to BBP. Oversight? Pretty basic, I'd have thought. Deliberate omission? I guess it would keep the unwary from learning about the real situation. One thing they really must get on to is sorting the ongoing running and touring contract or we stay buttoned up in the workshop until they do.
There's also all this nonsense about Gina giving the boat to the museum. For the avoidance of doubt, what was given to the museum was the WRECKAGE and the wreckage only and that never included sponsons, engine, controls, launching cradle, instruments, air intakes, electrical system, etc. etc. They are only part owners but that's OK. We'll be delighted to let them display all our hard work for 70% of the year soon as we sign a deal.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Thought I'd quote the exact wording of the deed of gift.

'Property' the Bluebird K7 as recovered from Coniston Water in or around 2001, the associated parts of the vessel both recovered and unrecovered and all other associated items and objects so recovered and/or recovered to include, but without limitation clothing and overalls of Donald Campbell (deceased).

That's it, that's all so the bald fact of the matter is that the museum owns what came out of the water as scrap and we own the rest including the rivets, paint and sealants. Also, we have said for at least ten years that when we display the boat in the museum it comes with strings attached with regard to getting it back out again and keeping everything fighting fit, running, etc. So, if they had a problem with any of that, there has been more than enough time to challenge it.

Read so much nonsense over the years about ownership and have always just let it go but there it is in black and white.

Richie

Post by Richie »

Either way, I am looking forward to next July, running the boat this year was fantastic, talking to children and adults alike about it was also great, clearly stirred the imagination of the next generation.....can’t ask for more than that.

Next year should be even better still ! If the BEWG have posted up the timer and the dates as concrete, they must have all the funding sorted, along with the documents and logistics

Credit to them if they have 👍
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."