Bluebird & Other Scale Models

flyfisherbill

Bluebird K7 1: 72 scale R/C conversion

Post by flyfisherbill »

Hi
I've got a touchwood models Bluebird K 7 in 1: 12 scale that I would like to convert to R/C . Has anyone done this before if so any help or tips would be appreciated advice on kit to install motor / prop or fan motor or photos instructions or photos of any completed models would be a great help.
Thanks Willie.
mickday

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by mickday »

Hi,

There is quite a bit of info regarding RC conversion on RC Forum

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... luebird-K7

Regards
Mick
Ernie Lazenby

Re: Bluebird K7 1: 72 scale R/C conversion

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

flyfisherbill wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:17 pm Hi
I've got a touchwood models Bluebird K 7 in 1: 12 scale that I would like to convert to R/C . Has anyone done this before if so any help or tips would be appreciated advice on kit to install motor / prop or fan motor or photos instructions or photos of any completed models would be a great help.
Thanks Willie.
Hi. 23 years ago I did the very first RC conversion of that kit and sent the manufacturer a set of detailed instructions. Since then things have moved on a pace with brushless motor technology and new generation of batteries. I have advised a number of people what to do to make the model work well. I still have the very first Touchwood K7 now converted to brushless set up. It works really well. If you want to email me I will give you some guidance. Forget about electric ducted fans they dont work well in model boats.For 15 years I wrote regular features and reviwed products for the UK magazine 'Marine Modelling International' My area of expertise was and remains fast electric boats, although I am now old and decrepid I still retain the knowledge. I am writing articles these days occasionaly for UK magazine Model boats. If you think an old geezer can help please ask away.
BTW I am about to write a feature on how to power a K7 and other such models with a gas turbine engine. The does and don'ts.

The Touchwood K7 can be made to really move at a representative impressive speed. I also have working models of Bluebird K3 & K4 (Sir Malcolms)
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Its been said on a number occasions that many models of K7 are not accurate but does that really matter. 5 yards or so away from the edge of the water who is know what's right or wrong. Rivet counters like me, and yes I did count the number of bolts on the wreck of K7 and sourced scale sized bolts for accuracy, try hard to get the models accurate. In the final analysis one only needs to ask this question ' would the man on the Clapham omnibus know what it is meant to be from what he sees? if the answer is yes then that's an achievement. I have in the past been asked to judge at model shows and seen models suitable for placing in a museum, many hours of work a labour of love but equally I have judged models that can only be loved by the builder. All I am saying is does it really matter if models of K7 don't stand up to rivet counter scrutiny, for me it does not.

I believe it would be well received if the BBP at some time in the future produced an accurate plan for model makers.
JefL

Post by JefL »

Ernie Lazenby wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:37 pm
I believe it would be well received if the BBP at some time in the future produced an accurate plan for model makers.
As an occasional (very occasional) boat modeller I can confirm that indeed it would be well received, at least in this corner of England. It could also bring in a few coppers for the project. However, producing a useable set of plans may not be easy, or cheap. From what I’ve gleaned from following the project there is no definitive drawing extant. Rather a large number of individual drawings spread over the lifetime of K7. I certainly got the impression the team suffered certain frustrations due to this, difficult to bash out a dinged bit of tin if you don't know exactly what shape it should be.
Anybody know a retired draughtsmen in the north east prepared to volunteer a few spare hours?
pmc

Post by pmc »

There was that 3d scan a while ago...
Any thought of releasing that data?
Or doing another scan when closer to complete?
midlife

Post by midlife »

Ernie Lazenby wrote: I believe it would be well received if the BBP at some time in the future produced an accurate plan for model makers.

Hi Ernie,
I remember a while back the old girl was 3D scanned, unfortunately at the time she didn’t have a completed body.
Thinking to the future & younger modellers, it would be wonderful if another scan could be done when she’s completed, if that was made available it would ensure that most models going forward would be a rivet counters dream👍
Cheers
Wayne
Edit, oops, I must remember to read all posts before I reply, sorry chaps
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Modellers may wish to watch out for an in depth article I am writing for UK Model Boats Magazine, 'Powering model boats with gas turbine engines'
Of course K7 will be included, big and small versions. The editor of the magazine is like me a life long Bluebird enthusiast, he refers to K7 as his all time favourite machine. The main focus of the article will be to explain how to get the best out of these engines in models with safety factors an essential feature.

Readers may find this amusing, currently the UK Model Power Boat Association wont insure gas turbine powered boats but that's under review. One of the Uk's insurance companies that does cover models also won't cover gas turbines. The one I built, now owned by my son longarmedgibbon, is insured by the UK model flight association!! Difficult to get ones head around all that isn't it!
mickday

Post by mickday »

Hi Ernie any idea when this article will be published? Would be very interested to read this.

I too have been in touch with Model Power Boat Association and the last update that I received from them was that gas turbine rules and insurance should be in place March/April this year.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Hi. I spoke to Peter Revill who handles insurance matters for the MPBA, he was not sure when the new insurance would be available but mentioned it was likely to be this year. As for my article; I contacted the editor recently regarding several articles of mine that are pending publication and sought his authorisation for the article to be a bit of cross over between the full size K7 and the models. I think if I get my gas turbine article finished soon it will appear before those yet to be published.** I hope to get some photographs of the latest Wren gas turbine this coming weekend, one of my friends who is busy building a 1/8th scale K7 powered by the latest wren engine is visiting my son to examine/photograph the model I made. I hope to have the finished article on the editors desk before 31st March,

** Barbie goes water sking- a working model I designed and made of a water skier, one that has no under water appendages has scale skies and a tow rope. As the wording says I used a Barbie doll.1/6th scale. The other article is how to convert static models to RC. Loads of static models coming out of the far east- nice sideboard models but with care some can be converted. The famous American race boat Dixie is one of them, the other is Riva Aquarama Zoom.