Blue Bird K4

blackandblue

Re: Bluebird K4

Post by blackandblue »

Has anybody else seen Blue Ace, the Ventnor Racing Hydroplance at Falmouth Maritime Museum?

When we visited the museum in the summer, I had no idea what the boat was – but was struck by the similarities to K4 in terms of shape and obviously colour.

Then I read the following details, 'After the Second World War the whereabouts of Blue Ace were not known, however subsequently she was discovered by Sir Donald Campbell in the Lake District and used by him as a fast tender for his Bluebird record attempts. She was largely rebuilt by Campbell and his mechanics, but the original engine is still fitted and on show thanks to the cover being removed for display.'

http://www.nmmc.co.uk/index.php?/collec ... hydroplane

Fascinating stuff!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Seems our mate Donald got his knighthood after all. The museologists say so, therefore it must be true.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
blackandblue

Post by blackandblue »

Renegadenemo wrote:Seems our mate Donald got his knighthood after all. The museologists say so, therefore it must be true.
Yeah, shame they didn't do their research properly isn't it. It's not like it would take much is it!
Ernie Lazenby

K4 Bluebird

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Here's a question- would it be possible to build a full size working K4 Bluebird and has anyone an idea of the costs involved today. Personally I prefer K4 to K7 and said so at a meeting of the speed record club when I gave a talk. I was asked the question.
JfromJAGs

Re: K4 Bluebird

Post by JfromJAGs »

You probably don't notice, but to me the only reason to start this thread here and now is to belittle the archievents and the work of the BBP on K7.

Would you please stop this?!
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Don't be silly, thats getting personal. Its for nothing of the kind. Mike mentioned Bill asking about doing K6 I am asking about K4. I am hoping Steve H will comment, if anyone thinks it could be done it will be him.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Ernie, remind me which one was K4 (as my interest has always been with K7 and CN7)

K4 was the one Donald and Leo sank / damaged ? yes ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Richie

Post by Richie »

smithy would be momentarily baffled by the strange biological brown aluminium...... but then he would adapt
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Richie. K4 started life with Sir Malcolm Campbell. A very successful boat in its original form. Sir M tried using it with a jet engine fitted, 'the slipper' but that was a failure. I have original photographs of the slipper trying to run at Coniston. After Sir M died Donald had it converted back to a piston engine prop rider with twin cockpits and was very successful. (Two cockpits one for him and the other for leo). It was damaged during testing at Coniston and broken up. I know a lot of people in the speed record club think K4 is a better looking boat than K7. Both are of course much better looking than K3. To see a working replica of K4 would be a joy for me. BTW The model I have of K4 works very much like the full sized boat did.
Last edited by Ernie Lazenby on Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordangbr

Post by Jordangbr »

Is that the same boat DC won the Oltranza Cup in Italy Ernie?
Bangers!
You must have known I was coming!