Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Ernie Lazenby

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

1908 Dixie. Converted from a static model to RC. Fancy driving that with all the muck coming out of the exhausts? 8 cylinder Crane-Whitman 200HP engine. One of the last racing boats designed with a displacement hull.
P1010200.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Here's the Crusader I made, the one that helped me formulate an idea as to the cause of crash. Very quick RC model. Sadly I sold it to a very rich man who made me an offer I could not refuse (He also bought Spirit of Australia, Slo Mo Shun and Miss England 11)
preview_cru3lge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

RC 1/8th scale model of Slo Mo Shun shown as the full size boat was when first run. This is the boat that pushed Donald to greater things. Model took first prize at a model show in Windermere.
preview_Ernie1.jpg
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

“I hope to get some photographs of the latest Wren gas turbine this coming weekend, one of my friends who is busy building a 1/8th scale K7 powered by the latest wren engine” - are you aware the original Wren went into administration, and the second incarnation of the company has also been liquidated??? I trust speedline models will receive some credit for “your” model Ernie?
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

you cannot resist it Chris can you. I borrowed the plugs from Speedline to make the set of mouldings that would work. Needed altering and making much lighter than the one you had made for you then sold because it did not work.(I think it was you?) Most of my work is scratch built I don't need to buy other folks stuff. The one I made/built, whatever, was the first 1/6th scale model of K7 in the UK powered by a gas turbine that worked as well as that shown in the you tube videos and remains so today so far as I have seen of others. My expertise is getting these scale models to run correctly, many try and fail as you are well aware I think. I spent ages trying to get Miss Campbells previous partners model of K7 to work correctly including rebuilding some of it, it sort of worked but was too heavy. The last I heard of that one the sponson arms had become detached. I declined a request to repair it.
Speedline deservedly got a mention in an article I wrote for Marine Modelling Magazine 16 years ago. It wont be mentioned in my latest one because its not germane to the main thrust.

I will be very happy to acknowledge in my next article the asistance given to me by Bill Smith very recently when I visited North Shields and was allowed to photograph K7 again and watch the engine being run up. Surprised? you should not be Bill Smith and I are all grown up! I enjoyed meeting the team. It was freezing cold but the engine warmed me up- fingers in ears though! We talked 'boat' not politics.

Thank you for the info re wrens I was not aware they had gone bust. A shame, they were a very good company. It matters not for my article. Re the 'latest build' it was the latest build when my friend bought it second hand! I have just clarified that with him.
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Any photo's of your Miss England II Ernie?
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I will be very happy to acknowledge in my next article the asistance given to me by Bill Smith very recently when I visited North Shields and was allowed to photograph K7 again and watch the engine being run up. Surprised? you should not be Bill Smith and I are all grown up! I enjoyed meeting the team. It was freezing cold but the engine warmed me up- fingers in ears though! We talked 'boat' not politics.
Was good to see you again, Ernie. Don't leave it so long next time, eh? And how much fun is it spooling up a genuine Orph' in the yard...

Just a thought for all the modellers out there. I would be happy to open the workshop on a Sunday on our day off if a group of you wanted to get organised to visit. You could measure and photograph and I could talk you through all the shapes that modellers get wrong most of the time. Maybe our chief of anal widgetry, Mike, would also come in to run a master-class on how to get the details spot on?

Just an idea so let us know if it's of interest.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

Sounds like a fab idea that
longarmedgibbon

Post by longarmedgibbon »

Heres some photos of dads (ernie lazenby) 1/6th k7. Ian lazenby
mickday

Post by mickday »

Bill getting a close up view of the boat and look at some of the details is a great idea. Count me in.