Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

bluebirdsback

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by bluebirdsback »

Thaks for the clarification Ernie. I dont suppose the silly folk on here would have made more of it if you had came out a bit sooner. Never mind its all crystal clear now. Maybe an appology for referring me to a juvenile noddy in toy town enthusiast who hasnt yet graduated from play school for asking the question in the first place wouldnt go amiss, then we can put the whole sorry episode to bed.
I have a little Question for you.
As a child my mother used to take me to Sunderland museum to see the stuffed lion in there. it was their main attraction and I always asked to go back to see it, till one day we went to Flamingo park and we saw some real live lions for the first time. Running about in their enclosure I never wanted to see the stuffed lion again, but always wanted to see the live ones again 40 years later i went back to the museum and asked about the stuffed lion as it was no longer on display. Probably in storage somewhere by now i was told. 20 years on i still dont know what happened to that static lion. Is that the future you want for Bluebird?
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

After seeing K7 at Bute, the last thing i want to see is that she's tucked away in Coniston, only to be seen by tourism trade. She's now a living memorial not only to a great man & his team, but a great, never to be seen again era. I'd personally rather she was toured, whether it's Austrailia, U.S.A or the various museums around Britain, Brooklands for abit, to be close to where the Campbells are from, Beaulieu for abit, alongside CN7. Static running at Goodwood for the Festival Of Speed events, which are celebrating record breakers this year.
Not having her run would be like the RAF saying they are grounding the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. They are a living memorial to all those that took part in the war. As are all the airworthy Spitfires, Hurricanes & other aeroplanes of that are operated by the private owners.
The amount of work that has gone into K7 is astounding & it would be a travesty to see her tucked away where the true enthusiast will probably only see her once, twice if they're lucky. I for one would only venture all the way to Coniston to see her on the lake.
Oh_Lordy

Post by Oh_Lordy »

Black Knight wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:56 am After seeing K7 at Bute, the last thing i want to see is that she's tucked away in Coniston, only to be seen by tourism trade. She's now a living memorial not only to a great man & his team, but a great, never to be seen again era. I'd personally rather she was toured, whether it's Austrailia, U.S.A or the various museums around Britain, Brooklands for abit, to be close to where the Campbells are from, Beaulieu for abit, alongside CN7. Static running at Goodwood for the Festival Of Speed events, which are celebrating record breakers this year.
Not having her run would be like the RAF saying they are grounding the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. They are a living memorial to all those that took part in the war. As are all the airworthy Spitfires, Hurricanes & other aeroplanes of that are operated by the private owners.
The amount of work that has gone into K7 is astounding & it would be a travesty to see her tucked away where the true enthusiast will probably only see her once, twice if they're lucky. I for one would only venture all the way to Coniston to see her on the lake.
I'm uncomfortable with this story, as I can suspect what efforts & costs were involved in renovating BB to where she can again conduct high-speed runs. I mean wow! What an achievement! Is that 17yrs and enough money to buy a detached home or three?

I don't want to be the guy who points out that someone who volunteers to repair their neighbours crash-damaged car knowing that they don't own it, is not a victim.

But these people [BBP] aren't that stupid, are they? They must have known when begging or borrowing parts, especially after 2006, that BB would always belong to someone else?

I'm surprised to find this morning that I am "that man", as from pg1 onwards I was rooting for the other side. I can only put it like this: suppose someone found & renovated Amelia Earharts plane. Is it acceptable that some fans from the 'Amelia Earhart Society' could mimic her last over-water flight?
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

bluebirdsback wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:43 pm Thaks for the clarification Ernie. I dont suppose the silly folk on here would have made more of it if you had came out a bit sooner. Never mind its all crystal clear now. Maybe an appology for referring me to a juvenile noddy in toy town enthusiast who hasnt yet graduated from play school for asking the question in the first place wouldnt go amiss, then we can put the whole sorry episode to bed.
I have a little Question for you.
As a child my mother used to take me to Sunderland museum to see the stuffed lion in there. it was their main attraction and I always asked to go back to see it, till one day we went to Flamingo park and we saw some real live lions for the first time. Running about in their enclosure I never wanted to see the stuffed lion again, but always wanted to see the live ones again 40 years later i went back to the museum and asked about the stuffed lion as it was no longer on display. Probably in storage somewhere by now i was told. 20 years on i still dont know what happened to that static lion. Is that the future you want for Bluebird?
I was not referring to you, look back in the posts its clear who it was directed to.. Sorry if you thought it was, not intended at all. We dont agree but you dont get personal.

It gets a bit repetative but my stance is only one of seeing that the 2006 signed agreement is adhered to, nothing more nothing less. If after that agreement is fulfilled the trustees agree to it being taken out and run occasionaly from its base in Coniston then fine provided it is done so in a controlled manner with due regard to its age. I dont see that happening but it would be their right to decide yes or no. I spent 30 years of my life trying to make sure that 'right' was done, its nothing personal and thats why I get annoyed when people attack me rather than the message. Its called being human.
Oh_Lordy

Post by Oh_Lordy »

longarmedgibbon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:18 pm Personally i think when the chimps at the ruskin get there grubby paws on k7 for the 'display months' they will just wedge them doors shut and never open them again and say "right, its ours now and your not getting her back", then blow a raspberry. Ian lazenby
^ Plus one. Maybe the finding & renovation was the easy part! :)

We, like many others, would love to see Bluebird run again on Coniston Water. Coniston is one of the busiest lakes in England, so prior to any runs the security and integrity of the craft, operator safety and community impact implications must be fully considered, and risk assessed.

As Custodians and Trustees of the museum (a registered charity) our obligations are to ‘preserve, protect and defend’ one of the most iconic boats in British history for the benefit of the public.

http://www.ruskinmuseum.com/content/con ... ents.phpll

I fear getting BB out and with permission to perform high-speed runs on Coniston will be akin in time & effort to the finding and renovation of her. ;)

Also it looks like someone will need to furnish the museum committee with a copper-bottomed & over-powering reason why they should risk damage/loss of their main exhibit?

You'd think they'd have been a touch grateful towards the people who provided their main exhibit. :D
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

oh_lordy said I don't want to be the guy who points out that someone who volunteers to repair their neighbours crash-damaged car knowing that they don't own it, is not a victim.

But these people [BBP] aren't that stupid, are they? They must have known when begging or borrowing parts, especially after 2006, that BB would always belong to someone else?

I'm surprised to find this morning that I am "that man", as from pg1 onwards I was rooting for the other side. I can only put it like this: suppose someone found & renovated Amelia Earharts plane. Is it acceptable that some fans from the 'Amelia Earhart Society' could mimic her last over-water flight?

Interesting comments. When one looks up the definition of a volunteer, and indeed what is commonly accepted by the word without reference to a dictionary, it is clear that anyone working on K7 as a volunteer should have no expectation other than seeing it completed. Of course it is known that some of the original volunteers who offered their services when the restoration started and in light of what was in the public domain at that time are no longer part of the team. The question must be, what did the current batch of volunteers expect from their services? If they volunteered hoping to see K7 run whenever and wherever that's fair enough. If they volunteered knowing K7 could end up housed permanently at the Ruskin and continued anyway hoping that position may change then that's also fair enough. Some may just want to see it finished with no interest in the politics.

Lets try and keep this thread non personal, attack the messages not the messengers who are entitled to have differing opinions. That's what forums are for.
Richie

Post by Richie »

You are the one attacking ?

Using derogatory terms for groups or individuals who have challenged your behaviour, which thus far has been somewhat erratic ?

You need to stop and self assess, surely a police chief inspector should understand this ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We, like many others, would love to see Bluebird run again on Coniston Water. Coniston is one of the busiest lakes in England, so prior to any runs the security and integrity of the craft, operator safety and community impact implications must be fully considered, and risk assessed.
Just wondering what 'security' of the craft might mean. Anyone?

Integrity I get and operator safety too. Those are things that BBP had in place before the crew training and no one is better qualified than us to complete those tasks. 'Community impact implications' isn't one of ours so, seeing as we did our bit long ago and can produce all the relevant documents, at what stage should the community impact stuff have been taken care of or has it been?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Richie wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:08 am You are the one attacking ?

Using derogatory terms for groups or individuals who have challenged your behaviour, which thus far has been somewhat erratic ?

You need to stop and self assess, surely a police chief inspector should understand this ?
I think you need to look at yourself really, as I understand it you have been spoken to off forum.

I attack the message not the sender (usually)
Richie

Post by Richie »

Nope, you lost me there.

I did have a frank conversation with my dog this morning but the forum and it’s contents never came up in conversation,

Mind he did give me a wry smile as I picked up his excrement which unfortunately for me, due to his size.....was a two bagger.

And on that note I must got get more bags today.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."