Spoon frogs and other such craft work

Renegadenemo

Re: Spoon frogs and other such craft work

Post by Renegadenemo »

Absolutely fine to post that here. It's a gorgeous little boat and a cracking photo. I looked up where it is - Bloody Hell, Oz is a vast place! I went to Brisbane for four days a while back and remember feeling relieved when the aircraft made landfall over western Australia only to be equally let down when I realised we still had five hours in the air over land!
We plan to take K7 back to Dumbelyung providing there's enough water there by the time we figure out the logistics so if you drive for about a fortnight we might see you there.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Filtertron

Post by Filtertron »

According to the dreaded Google, it's a 34 hour drive for me at nearly 3300km distance. I'll quite happily drive it if you can get K7 here. There is also the appeal of replicating it's 1964 tour. K7 must have been landed in Melbourne, as there is footage of it passing through Kaniva on the back of a truck, which is around 3 hours from here. The whole town turned up to see it pass through, which is pretty impressive. To give some sense of scale of Australia, the state I live in (Victoria) is about the same size as the U.K. Oddly enough, Texas in the U.S isn't much bigger. The entire population of this country is near equivalent to that of London alone - great if you want to avoid people or disappear!

Here's another interesting boat - the P.S Hero, built in 1874 at Echuca as a hawking boat. She was used as a towing boat for a myriad of owners for much of her life. She was sold to a saw-milling family in 1956 at a place called Boundary Bend for use as a tow boat, but was burnt at her mooring in early 1957. Most of her superstructure was destroyed, but she remained afloat for a short while. She then sank and sat in the mud for the next forty years. Gary and Irene Byford bought the wreck in the mid 1980's; salvaged it in 1998, and took it to Echuca for restoration. The original steam machinery was to be used, but the engines had suffered structural cracking, which may have been a result of the intensity of the fire. The boiler was also absolutely knackered from sitting partially submerged for nearly forty years. So, brand new steam engines where built to the same design as the originals, and a new welded boiler fabricated. The hull was re-launched on the 126th anniversary of it's original launch, and the entire boat completed early 2007. This photo was taken at Torrumbarry Weir after her 144th 'Birthday' cruise last year.

Here's another photo, so you get a better idea of what she looks like.
"What are you doing up that tree?"
"We're mountaineering on a rather tight budget."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Made a cute little Guy Taplin tribute a few days back. Always wanted to do a driftwood sculpture. There's just no way to know where the material came from. It could be from the other side of the world. Whatever the puffin was made from it's not any wood I've ever worked with before.
Made it for the eldest - she loves puffins and I've promised her for long enough.

20190426_131330.jpg

(Photo Mike Bull)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-21257824
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RolandCape

Post by RolandCape »

Any info on how long this actually took? Check my guides on parenting, cooking food, recipes, product review and essential oils.
Last edited by RolandCape on Thu May 30, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Any info on how long this actually took?
Are you asking about the little puffin or something else?

Filtertron

Post by Filtertron »

Took this on Saturday evening in the village of Maldon, about 40 or so miles from where I live in Victoria. The locomotive is a Victorian Railways first series T class (often referred to as "Flat Tops" or "Squash Boxes" - can't imagine why...), which were built in 1955 or '56 by Clyde Engineering in Granville, New South Wales. This little chappie is powered by an EMD 8-567C engine. This is a single shot, so hasn't been layered. I'll probably head up there again in the next few weeks to see if I can get a better shot than this - weather depending (it's winter).
"What are you doing up that tree?"
"We're mountaineering on a rather tight budget."