Avro Vulcan XL319

Ste

Re: Avro Vulcan XL319

Post by Ste »

Grimes anti collision G9950-1 apparently

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6K56hZkLAsM
Last edited by Ste on Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Careful, you'll be accused of 'media misinformation tricks' again... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Accused of what? The media have always loved us for delivering warm and uplifting human interest stories - stories like bringing a poor old Vulcan back from the dead. It'll be epic!

That said - have to be careful, let us not get too romantic about what amounts to a weapon of mass destruction. A machine designed with only one aim, to either scare the enemy into not throwing the first punch or to shower fissioning (or is it fusioning) uranium onto Russian children while they slept if they did. Fine to celebrate the amazing engineering and the bravery of the crews but when you boil it down it really was quite a horrible thing in its day.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

What do you need anti-collision lights for?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

What do you need anti-collision lights for?
I always struggle with this stuff but I'm wrong. What does it need twinkly lights for? put simply, it doesn't. Nothing is going to crash into it but I remember the crew being aghast in 2001 when I was quite happy to recover Donald in a plastic box. Needless to say, by morning the crew had constructed a proper casket on a wooden base complete with a union flag that we wrapped over the top and stapled into the wood so it wouldn't move. It was absolutely the right thing to do in retrospect and so are the twinkly lights.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Fair enough.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

It's amazing how you got these going again. I need to admitt though, its kind of boaring to watch. Having a jet engine in a boat located near the water and to see how it blows the water behind it, is a lot more exciting to me :D

BR,
Joerg
Ste

Post by Ste »

Who cares about not much to see, sound is brilliant and what an achievement. Would be cool to get a howl! What % power would that take?

By the way I wouldn’t worry about the mobile phone mast, it’ll will have been considered in their risk assessment when it was erected, as it’s entirely foreseeable that a group of engineering nutters would start the engines of a Cold War nuclear bomber 36 years after it was decommissioned, and it will therefore have been erected at an appropriate position away....... not :D #Moveavulcan 👍
Last edited by Ste on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Filtertron

Post by Filtertron »

I watched a couple of those vids during smoko at work. Got a few odd looks from people when they heard the air start winding up. :mrgreen:
"What are you doing up that tree?"
"We're mountaineering on a rather tight budget."
ThornyBush

Post by ThornyBush »

Same here, whenever I sit and watch the videos, (Bluebird on Bute, or the various engine starts be it Jetstar, Orpheus or Olympus) or read through the twitter feeds at lunch time, my team wonder what the racket is...until they see me smiling and then realise I'm recounting the enjoyable year I have had so far :D !
"Turned Out Nice Again!"
""There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one."
Motorbikes, Big Blue "Boats", 1/2 Scale Wooden Silver Boats.... and Craft Ales (but not all at the same time)...