What have forum members been up to?

Renegadenemo

Re: What have forum members been up to?

Post by Renegadenemo »

That looks amazing. Are the aluminium panels scratch built? Always wanted to do that.
It looks to be shaping up as a top piece of work.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

Originally Healeys were built with aluminum shrouds (bit with the hole for boot n bonnet) and steel wings and doors . That’s why they rotted so badly due to dissimilar metals .
I bought the car as a total basket case all in boxes taken apart by someone who had given up on it once they realized they were in way too deep and the hardtop alone was worth more than I paid for the whole pile of parts .
The original doors and wings were beyond rescue and the shrouds all had rotten edges . So I tossed all the wings n doors , salvaged the shrouds .
The superstructure (the chassis and inner body ) is a reproduction with some parts salvaged from the original which was really rotted out held together with cardboard , fiberglass ,steel C channel , patches on patches and a whole lot of undercoating .
I bought the car mainly for the hardtop as they are very rare like hens teeth and my initial thought was to part the car out and sell it to fund my other Healey restorations .
When I had the numbers all researched by the BMHIT in the UK it turned out to be a full matching numbers 62 with the original hardtop (which are all serial number stamped) that was sold with the car in 62 .
Only 1759 LHD side shift Tri-Carbs were ever built .
So I decided then to salvage her .
So 13 yrs later after extensive metalwork she looks like a car again .
The wings and doors are all brand new aftermarket hand made but they then have to be fettled and tweaked to fit the individual car as no two Healeys are ever the same .
I don’t do metalwork so all this was done by a pro restoration guy .
I do all the mechanicals and reassembly .
Pic attached of how the car will sort of look when finished but it will be Healey Blue with Old English White hardtop with pop up rally vent and reproduction mini lite wheels .
This will be my last full restoration having done two other Healeys , a 64 and a 67 both 3000 BJ8s
Post edited with a pic of a car in the same colour combo mine will be but without the roundels, my car will have the light set up of the green car .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

Richie wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:28 pm My pizza oven is now built.... don’t think I will embark on another one of those projects... been a hard slog to say the least !!

D15E7F66-F1C7-4AD6-BCEA-B8E392F4DBDB.jpeg
Upside down pizza right from Dumbleyung ......my favourite :D
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

thunderer wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:57 pm Well that right there is some serious hours just in the metal work and it looks well for it too!

Have you added extra strength "under the skin"? (dash rail for example?)
The whole inner superstructure (chassis/inner body) was built by a company that specialize in building aftermarket Healey frames etc .
It’s built much stronger and more rigid than the originals which were prone to corrosion and chassis flex .
It was built by a company here in Canada called Jule Enterprise .
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

What about other bits? Glass, interior trim, etc? Are they readily available in Canada?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

Renegadenemo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:32 pm What about other bits? Glass, interior trim, etc? Are they readily available in Canada?
I can basically order everything on line from somewhere , however a lot of the reproduction stuff is made in China and of shall we say questionable quality so wherever possible I use the original parts and refurbish them or try to find originals somewhere (Flea Bay), it costs more but you get a better job in the end .
I only replace it if it can’t be used or repaired or would be unsafe to use .
My RED/OEW BJ8 Healey was sold earlier this year and shipped back to the UK , so she went home into retirement .
So you never know you may see my handy work cruising the British country side this summer .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richie

Post by Richie »

My favourite colour combo is like a metallic dark silver with ivory sides (not sure if it’s period correct...perhaps not) the bonnet had louvred vents too, it looked the dogs danglies though.

Still fancy myself a nice TVR T350c, it will happen eventually.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

Richie wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:01 am My favourite colour combo is like a metallic dark silver with ivory sides (not sure if it’s period correct...perhaps not) the bonnet had louvred vents too, it looked the dogs danglies though.

Still fancy myself a nice TVR T350c, it will happen eventually.
No Rich that would not be a period correct colour but would look nice Im sure .
The TVR is nice but for a lot less money and more reliability you could have one of these , it’s my wife’s summer toy . It’s on rails for handling goes like a scared cat and looks pretty similar .
Richie

Post by Richie »

That is a very very nice car, alas it is not for me.

Something about 400bhp to the rear wheels, no ABS, no traction control but an amazing soundtrack is what I love.

The TVR isn’t, and unlikely never will be, the most reliable, and it will burst into flames without the turn of a key, however, I just really really love them !

T350C with the upgraded suspension and performance exhaust.. would take one in any colour but pink.

British engineering love it with all its temperamental quirks !

They have held their value quite well
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Healey nut

Post by Healey nut »

Richie wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:28 pm That is a very very nice car, alas it is not for me.

Something about 400bhp to the rear wheels, no ABS, no traction control but an amazing soundtrack is what I love.

The TVR isn’t, and unlikely never will be, the most reliable, and it will burst into flames without the turn of a key, however, I just really really love them !

T350C with the upgraded suspension and performance exhaust.. would take one in any colour but pink.

British engineering love it with all its temperamental quirks !

They have held their value quite well
Hmmmmmm 400hp to the rear wheels , stick shift , no abs , no traction control amazing sound track .............
400 HP ...check
Stick shift ....check
No ABS .......pull the fuse ....check
No traction control ....I have a button for that .....check
Amazing sound track ........got that more than covered with the 4.3 V8 philharmonic orchestra out the back .
British Engineering ....check
My summer toy , gives me goosebumps every time I hit that start button :D :D :D