New Members

AlanJohn

New Members

Post by AlanJohn »

What a fantastic idea to plant a forum here...
Another place for us forum junkies to hang out !
Hi All, I'm Alan from north London and I'm totally fascinated and addicted to the K7 rebuild.
I'll be the first in Coniston when she is finally relaunched !!
Renegadenemo

Re: New Members

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hi Alan,

a pleasure to welcome you.

Bill
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
tas

Post by tas »

Been an avid follower of BBP from waaay back, well pleased to see this forum now.

How about a webcam in the BBP workshop so we can watch everyone running around like one-legged cats trying to bury a turd on a frozen pond? Seriously though, keep up the amazing work.

I wonder if any of the people who have opposed the raising and rebuild of Bluebird will dare to venture here...
"He who goes to bed with an itchy bum, wakes up with a smelly finger"
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi I'm Andy, I run a Marillion forum at www.fantasticplace.co.uk and having learnt about the Bluebird project via Marillion and the song Out Of This World, I have got hooked on the K7 rebuild. You can count me in on the launch... Probably Steve Hogarth and Steve Rothery from the band will be there too, as the project is close to their hearts as well.
"You've seen the film, now get the doll. Handi Bendi Ghandi, complete with a wardrobe of robes and a cast of five thousand"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The Steves were there for the lift on 8th March 01. Rothers spent the whole day clicking away with his cameras while H froze his whatnots off and hid in the Bluebird cafe until he warmed up again. It was really great to have them along.

Andy

Post by Andy »

You may be pleased to know I've promoted your site in my forum with following post:
Having recently just seen Marillion on their recent tour, i was totally left numb by the film footage that accompanied the song Out of This World. The images of Donald Campbell CBE crashing at 300 mph in K7 (The Bluebird) was aweinspiring and breathtaking and above all very saddening, together with the other footage of him testing bluebird the whole experience for me was very thought provoking.

You can, thanks to Gawain download an excellent video representation of the performance from The Forum on 19th November synced with the video footage that accompanied the performance from the night by right clicking the following link http://www.bsgn.co.uk/site/ootw.mov then selecting save target as.

But that's not why I'm posting this. The reason I'm posting this is for the Bluebird Project itself. Please visit http://www.bluebirdproject.com and check out their site. lots of information regarding the project and some excellent video footage detailing some of the restoration work. But above all read thye donate section.... It would appear that they have LOST their lottery funding and are now relying on donations to complete the restoration of one of the most important vessels to grace Coniston.

Even a pound will help.. The project are restoring the bluebird voluntarily, they don't get paid for doing it as such they need the money to buy the parts needed for the restoration.... Stuff the lottery this week... Give it to Bill Smith to enable the total restoration of K7, and therefore the memory of Donald Campbell CBE.
i hope you approve Bill, and that it helps in any way it can. I've also posted it on the official Marillion forum, but minus the download link to the video. i don't think my friends download server will handle 13,000 hits :lol: But please feel free to grab it yourself should you want to...... The film was created by a marillion forum member, Mark Kennedy. I think he did a sterling job of marrying the film to the song.
"You've seen the film, now get the doll. Handi Bendi Ghandi, complete with a wardrobe of robes and a cast of five thousand"
Excelsior2007

Post by Excelsior2007 »

I first became fascinated by the Bluebird Project when I watched the BBC Documentary in2001/2002,then as part of my Media Theory with Production degree, I did a vox pop, as well as travelling to North Shields, where I interviewed Bill on 12th May 2002. Since then, I have followed the reconstruction and restoration of the Bluebird with a keen interest, and cannot wait to see what she will look like once she's been fully restored. :)
jonhobden

Post by jonhobden »

Bill, I hope the rivet setting went well.

I'm another long-time Campbell anorak (from about 1965); I made the trip north for the burial only to find it was a "bad news day". I hope you are more successful this time.

To cross-post - I wonder if any of the Herald of Free Enterprise designers thought as hard as Ken and Lou?

ttfn

Jon
berteh

Post by berteh »

Hi all, just popped in to say hello to all the BBP guys. I have been following the rebuild for a few years now and am so glad that you are starting final assembly. Have been trying to convince 'She who must be obeyed' that a trip to the lakes for launch day would be very worthwhile.....she isn't going for it.....yet :)
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

A trip to the lakes on launch day would be an excellent idea. There's Hawkeshead clothing store, great products at very reasonable prices. Then you can take the ferry over Windermere to Bowness where Lakeland Plastics have a bewildering range of kitchen gadgets. Pop into Ambleside where you'll find some more exclusive shopping opportunities then tootle back to Coniston for a hearty meal and a few pints of Bluebird Bitter around a genuine log fire. My missus loves it...