early 80`s jet hydroplane, Coniston.

Renegadenemo

Re: early 80`s jet hydroplane, Coniston.

Post by Renegadenemo »

Happy New Year, Andy... I remember back in the day when I worked in vehicle security, Noel got himself involved with 'Toad' immobilisers and alarms. He didn't seem to know much about those either.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
polo

Post by polo »

Sorry to upset anyone but no book from me!. I have all the build up photos of K8 from her just being a scrap[costly scrap at £2000 per 22ft sheet of marine ply] through to her completion. The drawings are [exact copies] what Ron [Wobbly] Wolbold used to build her from. There were no apparent structural drawings but I may be wrong on that[but I don't think so as I never saw or heard of any] as it was left to Ron's building expertise to do the lot.
The wooden hull was meant to be a 150mph test model before building a full blown record attempt boat. As I said the money ran out[ this is where I soon learned to disbelieve anyone quoting figures in this game!] and Roevin [ Brian Roebuck] took over and had the mouldy shell[yes mouldy, I have the photos to prove it!] sent to the restoration garage near the M60 motorway[where the photos were taken for the article] where Roevin restored old cars.
Here under the guidance of Roy Weaver who became the project manager the hull was completed. Unfortunately when you get non record breaking people involved who run the project[ my view and opinion!] you get problems. Ron was ignored, the safety team were ignored and Tony was [my opinion again] pushed into things to ensure the project went ahead.
The boat went to Coniston and was too heavy, but credit to the Roevin team, she floated exactly where they stated she would and in the correct attitude[see the photos in the water re colour scheme].
The safety team pointed out spray strips and the rule re the speed and first wave appearance and suddenly 2 metal wings appeared on the boat side[my side of story]. Ron Wolbold did offer to put spray strips on her and alter the nose shape[ at no cost to the project] but he was quietly put to one side[my opinion] and ignored. The original drawings and tunnel model[2 engines] had spray deflectors underneath, the boat did not.
All types of methods were used to get her on the plane[ including a mad me driving a support boat across her path to try and 'bounce' her on to the plane..we used that method to get Vladivar up on to her points]. Some weight was added to the rear, to try and alter her attack attitude, the moveable wing ailerons[ have I got the word correct..moveable thingies at the back of wings anyway] were altered in different attitudes and on one occasion a safety team member stood on the rear wing when Tony put full power on and 'rocked' the boat to try and unstick her, he had to jump off if she got going properly..he did any way and nearly got 'suntanned' as Tony turned the boat wondering what was happening and put the jet blast over the team members head. He went underwater and swam off.
Anyway the boat returned to Manchester for alterations, Roevin had a bad time and most of the business was sold off and they stopped any funding. The boat stayed with Tony in his workshop in Salford. He had numerous break ins and the test models were stolen. He managed to get his companies going again and decided to have another bash. Unfortunately[Tony told me this] he said the boat had been kept on the road trailer and had warped significantly, he was going to break her up when a person came to the workshop and they discussed her break up. The boat was taken and is supposedly being used as childs playground toy some where in Manchester. I have never seen it and I travel round Manchester all the time.
Tony has made money gain and I spoke to his daughter Lucy early in 2009 as she and her brother wanted to go into record breaking with their dad. A meeting was supposed to take place but was never arranged. I have heard nothing since.
All the opinions here are mine and they are as I saw or understood things. I may have some things wrong[but I don't think so]..hence my reason not to do a book..but I will give my opinion[ the law says I can! without law suit]
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

n_a.jpeg
n_a-1.jpeg
A couple of pics of BP afloat on Coniston in November 82. As you can see, she sat VERY low in the water, and the large delta aft section created significant suction that meant she never did unstick and plane. The boat had a high angle of attack fwd shoe, with low angle rear shoes on the sponsons, with no fins, and a central rudder. I went to see the trials on 3 separate days and have about 80 odd colour pics. I will scan a few more at some point and post any that look interesting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

how did i guess that you of all people would have some pics of this neil!? you are a god!! :D ;)
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
polo

Post by polo »

keep trying to put photos on but my file are too big but here goes: BP under full power with the spray going over the bow into the engine. The steel work in the boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
polo

Post by polo »

another try, a copy of a mouldy k8 after delivery to Roevin and Roy Weaver cutting away some of the knee rest to fit a 20cu ft breathing air cylinder for Tony. Please note that the capsule is suspended by a chain lift as it was so heavy.
jonwrightk7

Post by jonwrightk7 »

seem to remember a couple of other chaps who had trouble with spray entering the engine!!!! ;)
The world is full of Kings and Queens; who blind your eyes, then steal your dreams..
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Fantastic pictures - thanks to everyone for sharing them. They've obviously been hidden away for many years. That steel capsule is worth a discussion all on its own. I can imagine it being more of a liability than an asset. How was it supposed to work?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

"Polo", I was thinking more of a book project for me to do!!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

Might I ask those who are more familiar with this project than me, whether it was ever considered as a serious attempt at hydroplane record-breaking?

Looking at the photo's it is evident that there are some serious design deficiencies. For example, the high and rearward mounting of the jet engine would produce a very large down moment at the bows which would probably preclude it ever planing ---------.

If it had achieved planing, any pitch oscillations due to an uneven surface - coupled with the aforementioned thrust moment at high power - would have had the bows down in a trice, Crusader -like.

There would appear to be buoyancy issues, too.

Frankly, if I had the choice (and had the balls) of getting into this so–called 'K8' or it's illustrious and reincarnated predecessor, give me the latter every time -------.