Across The Lake

sheppane

Re: Across The Lake

Post by sheppane »

Don had DC7 on a Jag XK150 in the summer of 1958... Not sure if he had it on the RED Merc SL that he had in 59-60 (DMC in a GERMAN car :o )

I have a pic with CN7 and his first E type somewhere... I will see if DC7 is on that....

GLM37C was said to be Tonia's car... he certainly got some press mileage of it being such, being photographed presenting it to her in 65
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Ken and I went up to Jack Lovells when he was making the K7 replica, which when we saw it was a hotch potch of every version that had ever been built, and Ken's first words were "it looks a bit small". In Jack's defence he had only been given a pile of very poor photocopies to work from, and no dim's at all!!!!

In 1996/67 Tonia was using, and had been for some time, a red Fiat Coupe, so I'd doubt if GLM37C was her car, but you never know, maybe she just found it too big?

Neil are you thinking of the Kodak pictures from Lake Bourget in France? K7 next to a XK150? I'm pretty certain the Jag' is DC7 in those, most of which where taken by Tommy Wisdom.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

Neil are you thinking of the Kodak pictures from Lake Bourget in France? K7 next to a XK150? I'm pretty certain the Jag' is DC7 in those, most of which where taken by Tommy Wisdom.

Steve,

thats the one... I belIeve that Don then bought his Red Merc SL in late 59... and then his first e type sometime in 62. That car is pictured with CN7 at Goodwood in July 62 and was wearing DC7. It was in a darker shade of blue than the 65 car...

Anyhow... hear is a pic of the XK150...
Aix le Bains.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'When you go down into the arena, you know that sometimes, you're likely to get your nose punched. You do it with your eyes open. You take the risks'

Donald Campbell, Bluebird and The Final Record Attempt. https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdk7/
sheppane

Post by sheppane »

's E-Type, Coniston Small.jpg
Here is a vIew of the GLM 37C taken at Pier Cottage on the 12th of Dec 66. Note the torn stick on number. Dr Darbishire in the background on the jetty...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HappyFish

Across the lake film DVD

Post by HappyFish »

Hi

I saw this film on TV as a teenager and loved it.

I am now very interested in the raising and restoration of K7 and would love to see the film again.

There is one on E-bay for £25, I know it's rare, but still a bit steep I think.

Would any of you kind people like to copy / sell me an 'Across the lake' DVD as i'd really like to watch the film again.

I would very much appreciate it if you can help me out and would make a donation to the restoration fund.

Please send me a PM if you can help and want my address etc.

Cheers

HappyFish
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We've had a bit of a natter behind the scenes here at BBP HQ and have decided that it's for the best if we put a stop to these occasional requests for copies of what is, after all, someone else's intellectual property.
Or put another way... respectability brings with it responsibility and as we're in bed with with broadcasters and film makers these days we need an official stance - what would you do?
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
klingon

Post by klingon »

Think Mike's done the correct thing by stating that to assist anyone to buy a "pirate" dvd or tape of the movie would be tantamount to aiding and abetting the distibution of copyright theft and could put the Project on an extremely sticky wicket.The fact that the copyright on this particular recording is in dispute and is not held by any identifiable company is not an excuse for a "free for all" to distribute the material.I am in the process of trying to get answers on this and clarify the situation with the end result of obtaining proper permission to distribute the film legally and pay royalties to the properly concerned parties-but until then, I think the Project should adopt the stance stated by Mike-Don't ask-we can't help you on this!- strike any request posted,and "lock off" this listing. :geek:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Tony Maylam was pretty certain he still has copyright, although the National Film Archive are quite certain they do, good luck trying to find out the definitive answer on that, but if you do, I'll let you tell Tony!
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

I heard that Tony Maylam sold the rights to the film, however if this is not the case, as Director does he not hold copyright on Across The Lake anyway?
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Last time I spoke to Tony (about doing another Campbell docudrama, on a much different subject), I got the impression that the National Film Library were trying to do to him, what the Science Museum had attempted, and to a large degree succeeded in doing to Ken (Norris), in claiming ownership of items deposited merely for safe keeping, so you've prettu much hit the nail on the head there!!