Bluebird & Other Scale Models

RichM

Re: Bluebird & Other Scale Models

Post by RichM »

John certainly was the very best modeller I’ve come across - that ghost engine is gorgeous. Here are another of his masterpieces that belong to a friend of mine - such a loss to the modelling world - I wouldn’t have the patience to sit and create such works of art.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

And let's not forget Clever Barry. His engines work too.

http://modelenginenews.org/gallery/crof ... index.html
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
RichM

Post by RichM »

Now there’s a bit of kit I’d love - imagine that in a scale K4 model...
Be been tinkering today on another build - The original Miss England. I’d bought a cheapy ply kit of a ski boat and set to converting it into a near-enough copy of Miss England.
I built a scale drive system, but got stuck with the lack of room up-front for a motor to directly drive the propshaft.
Robbed a few bits out of my RC car, and we now have a rear mounted motor, with a shaft and small makeshift ‘gearbox’ under the front hatch, to drive the propshaft.

Still work in progress, but thought I’d share :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Do you get much in the way of flex on that prop shaft looking at its exposed length ? Just thinking as you throttle up it could get brutal pretty quick.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
RichM

Post by RichM »

I’ve supported the internal and external shafts with lead Teflon bearings at intervals along the length - same as on my ME2 which spins up to 20k rpm (although less under load...) and it seems solid enough so far...
Anyway, a bit more done this evening, will have to wait for the mahogany and trim-tape to arrive before I can do much more :)

They aren’t to scale, ME is 1/14.4 scale and ME2 works out about 1/12.8 scale.
polo

Post by polo »

HI RichM. praise re modelling skills from you is praise indeed having seen your models. I know you keep good company in the modelling world as I've seen the You Tube of your K7 running in Fleetwood with a certain Fred Harris ex Replicast models in attendance.
The engine you posted the photos of are the Packards that go into Miss America X. I've got the copy drawings of the boat and the engines in my loft. He even told me to destroy one set of drawings as they were incorrect. He sent me the update and I compared them with the first sent. It took me ages to find the differences. He was a perfectionist to put it mildly.
polo

Post by polo »

Sorry, hit the wrong button as I meant to add some more photos.
polo

Post by polo »

John Mays Miss America X, another masterpiece.
polo

Post by polo »

I think his models won a few trophies! I know one of his models sold for about $36,000 thirty six thousand dollars
Mr Hannarack

Post by Mr Hannarack »

Polo,

Very sad to see your post with the news of John May's passing in the summer. I had dealings with John when he used to send updates on his models that we included in Fast FACTS - specifically Miss America X and Crusader. As others have already noted, they are stunning masterpieces of which we can only marvel. I also have some images of his Railton Mobil Special under construction, which again was exceptional.

I spoke to John a couple of times outside the written correspondence. Fascinating discussions in themselves, all spoken with his "Mid-Atlantic Scouse", a combination of his native Liverpool brogue and his American retirement accent. Great memories.

The silver model in the picture with John and Miss America X is Miss Britain III, Hubert Scott-Paine's Harmsworth Trophy challenger, another model that was not too shabby either!

The three ultimate masters of speed record modelling, John May, Ugo Fadini and Fred Harris. Legends.

Rest easy John.

Paul