Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Richie

Re: Other Speed Record Breakers Are Available!

Post by Richie »

The tool !!

Aye probably...

I remember the trim on it was wicked quick, old man used to explain how they would have the boat pretty much riding on its prop then they would come to turn, hit the trim which would dump the bow in causing the boat to hook around the mark, then back on with the trim... the crews of these things must get battered about a bit... mind Teds class are a whole different level of mad ! God I love those F1 cat’s SAVAGE!!
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Tragedy at Elvington yesterday. Details are scant so far:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... n-airfield
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Do we know who it was ?
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Only snippet l have is that it was a single vehicle accident.

Edit. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54356616
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

The identity of the driver is in the public domain. The driver was Zef Eisenberg and the car was a Porsche 911.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
Richie

Post by Richie »

End of the run, this issue is starting to sound very familiar !

Is there something going on, on the runway down there ? A change in surface ? Expansion seam in the concrete ?

Future attempts need to consider what’s happening to their vehicles once they lift off the throttle and start to apply brakes / deploy chutes in relation to what’s going on on the runway.

It’s another tragedy and another loss, this truly is a game for brave souls.

I believe he had a near miss a few years back too.

RIP.
thunderer

Post by thunderer »

Richie wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 am [snip]
End of the run, this issue is starting to sound very familiar [/snip]
Sounds similar to what can happen at the end of high-speed drag strip runs.

I was once told, rightly or wrongly, that it was related to weight shift and aero destabilising the vehicle during the initial deceleration moment.

Either way, a tragedy and not the first incident to occur there, which in and of itself raises serious questions.

R.I.P Zef Eisenberg
Just cos my username is Thunderer, doesn't necessarily mean I SHOUT !!
"A vehicle is designed to be used, restored or otherwise" A personal response on the question "you have just restored it, why use it?"
Malcolm Ops

Post by Malcolm Ops »

Whilst discussion is healthy may I ask that postings about Elvington are made following research and consideration of factual information. Should we lose the use of the runway 26 there will be no land speed sport in the UK. Thank You.
Malcolm Ops

Derby, England
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Malcolm Ops wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:41 am Whilst discussion is healthy may I ask that postings about Elvington are made following research and consideration of factual information. Should we lose the use of the runway 26 there will be no land speed sport in the UK. Thank You.
Wise words. Less to do with any characteristic of the venue than the fact that risky things are done there. Anywhere where boundaries are regularly pushed is, over time, certain to be the scene of a fatal accident. Just look at the history of Daytona beach or Bonneville over the years, or any other motor sport venue you could think of.
To quote a certain person: “That’s the thing with record breaking; you never get it easy. If you did, records would be broken every week”.
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Richie

Post by Richie »

I shall not comment further.