Pic of the Day

tas

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by tas »

OK, another question which is probably blindingly obvious - how will you be able to get her back in the jig once the transom is in (what will the jig attach to with the transom in the way)?

As for temporarily suspending K7 while the jig is off, does she have to be strung up or would it be simpler to prop her up from underneath?
"He who goes to bed with an itchy bum, wakes up with a smelly finger"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

OK, another question which is probably blindingly obvious - how will you be able to get her back in the jig once the transom is in (what will the jig attach to with the transom in the way)?

As for temporarily suspending K7 while the jig is off, does she have to be strung up or would it be simpler to prop her up from underneath?
The aft end of the rollover jig is the one we designed for the stripdown albeit a bit shorter these days to keep the diameter of the forward hoop as small as possible. The aft pickup was bolted on over the transom originally, this being the last panel to come off the frame when we stripped her. The jig is currently packed to take up the 2mm difference in thickness so it will all fit much better with the transom in position.
It will be much easier to suspend K7 as we have the mother of all RSJs running directly overhead and a very low-geared chain block for infinite adjustment but we'll still need to devise a means of stropping the frame because the top tubes are inclined where we need to make the lift and whatever we use will tend to ride up the tubes and try to shove the boat forward off the rollers at the front. And that's without having to consider safety and how to avoid scratching the paint / damaging any structure. Can't nick the chain block back at the mo either because that's in the other shop supporting the engine, which is currently without its transit frame because that's in the paint shop.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

klingon wrote:This may be a stupid answer and a bit obvious Bill but what about a Waxoyl applicator spray?-might do the job! :)
I bought one of them for my car a while back. A bit of plastic tubing with a nail stuck in the end.

-If you want a false sense of security whilst coating about 10% of the required surface, then that's the way to go..... :?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

klingon wrote:
This may be a stupid answer and a bit obvious Bill but what about a Waxoyl applicator spray?-might do the job!
We have to get twenty-odd feet down a two-inch-square pipe through an inch-diameter access hole at the rear. It's going to take a bit more than a Waxoyl gun.

In actual fact we have devised a method using a cunningly modified fire extinguisher that we can pressurise to 6-Bar with the air system then depress the lever to fire a jet of Ardrox all the way down Rob's brake pipe. It's called the Tube Internal Treatment System...

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
klingon

Post by klingon »

Ok meebe not a waxoyl gun thingy then :( the jet from one of those drain unblocker things which fires backwards mebbe do it then?-Sort of Cavity Underseal Nebulising Treatment? :lol:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Why not just spray every exposed surface with Waxoyl?

That would be a Full Underside, Cockpit, Keel & Upperworks Process :lol:
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hey! You lot are being rude now...

That's what I love about this job. Yes, we have to be totally professional in hundreds of ways but when we can afford to have a laugh we do and everyone can join in. You'll not find that on the British Museum's website!

The modified fire extinguisher thing is true, by the way. We've not tested it in anger but it looks like it'll do the job. After coating the insides of the frame tubes then it has to pressurise the oil system on the engine to blow any bits into the strainers and filter rather then through our masterpiece of a pump.

klingon

Post by klingon »

Allright Renegadenemo-Sorry-Extremely! :lol: and thats an end to it! :D
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Allright Renegadenemo-Sorry-Extremely! and thats an end to it!
Bah! And here I was waiting for the next crude acronym...

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Hey! I went to post a rude acronym and got the message: 406 Not Acceptable!

If anyone has found any of my posts too rude or unacceptable for any reason, please may I take this opportunity to say:
Big Apologies Lads & Lasses; Sorry!