The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

minty4371

Re: Vulcan XH558

Post by minty4371 »

Just passed £930,000.:D Onwards and Upwards.
minty4371

Post by minty4371 »

VULCAN XH558 IS SAVED :D More information to be found on the Vulcan Website.
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

I know that this has already been noted on The Aviation Forum and Autosport Nostalgia Forum, but XH558 is again seeking funds to ensure that she can continue to fly in 2011 and - more importantly - 2012 (60th anniversary of type's first flight) to mark The Queen's Diamond Jubilee and an intended flypast at the opening of some minor sporting event that apparently Britain is hosting.

They need to raise at least £400,000 by the end of October. This is a carefully co-ordinated campaign and I am sure that K7s supporters will continue to take an interest in the outcome of this activity. More details, including press information, on the Vulcan website.
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

Absolutely agree with your comments Mike although I think it is very much the VTS Trust's campaign style that they like to adopt an alarmist position in order to highlight their plight. I have been a supporter since seeing their stand at Farnboorugh in 2000 so have been awaiting their "annual" crisis appeal anytime now. For 2010, I understand that the programme of work was somewhat larger and more protracted than in the previous year and that ceratinly delayed XH558's appearance at early season airshows.

There is certainly a common thread running through all transport preservation projects and that is that the same group of enthusiasts / supporters are continually approached for further funds. The very sad - and currently ongoing - demise of the PS Lincoln Castle illustrates all tolo clearly, however, that major capital projects need such HUGE sums of money AND support from the public as well as the aiuthorities that ultimate success can be very elusive. Quite often also, the capital to fund a purchase or restoration can be found quite quickly. It is the revenue costs - perhaps unexpected additional costs in this case - that can spell doom for some. Whether or not those same sources will come up with the goods this time remains to be seen but at an average of £12,000 PER DAY from today it will be a close run think methinks. As you will be aware, there has been consdierable criticism of Dr Pleming's methods in recent months but I for one sincerely hope that XH558 can remain floightworthy. It's too important - like K7 - for any other outcome to be acceptable given the unique circumstances that have allowed this aircraft to have reached the stage it has. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As an aside, today is the anniversary of John Cobb's accident at Loch Ness with Crusader in 1952.
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
klingon

Post by klingon »

To be honest-I see XH558 ending up in Kermit Weeks ownership pretty soon-no bad thing for the aircraft by any means as Mr Weeks has the finances,backup and knowledge to keep her in the air-mebbe best for the machine to go that way than to be constantly in danger of turning into "Vulcan on a stick" due to nationalistic feelings about retaining an unaffordable piece of technology.-Without long term government or Hopeless Losers Funding assistance I'm afraid that either the aircraft will lose its flight status and turn into a "stuffed" exhibit somewhere,or some dreamer with no idea of what he's taking on will buy it' let it rot at an airport for 10 years or so-(A-La Blackpool) and then take a bulldozer to it!-Mebbe the RAF could add it to it's collection? :)
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Excelsior2007

Post by Excelsior2007 »

To see such a historical aircraft lost would be a travesty.
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Nifty little mod with the plastic bottle, as they say necessity is the mother of invention. I should immagine the last thing they want is to fish rivet stems out of the intakes so its a simple but necessary mod. great idea lads,
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

Much easier to fish back out though.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Much as I love the sight and sound of a Vulcan in flight, I think I would be pretty peeved if I had stumped up my hard-earned cash thinking that I had helped to "Save the Vulcan", only to find out a few months later all I had done was to "Save the Vulcan for another year".

Nah, my spare readies will go towards something blue.....
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
polo

Post by polo »

I think we should all get our hands in our pockets quickly!
we have no aircraft carrier, we have no planes to put on an aircraft carrier if we had one!
The Argies are massing with a view to going for a replay regarding the Falklands, we need the vulcan to do the bombing runs as we do not have anything else!
If you think I'm joking re the Argies, Just watch what happens in the next few months or so. One of my oldest friends has disappeared off the face of the earth, which he only does when something naughty is going on in the world, he faught in round 1 winning a very prestigous medal.