The Vulcan XH558 & General Aviation Thread

StewDurham

Re: Vulcan XH558

Post by StewDurham »

Nice!! - Good clip. Great colour scheme on that bike.. ;)
Good luck to the BBP team, makes me proud to be British (and a North-easterner to boot!). Damn fine work, chaps!
captain sparkle

Post by captain sparkle »

I thought you would like that, Stew! :P
TED WALSH AT SPEED ON CONISTON

Now over 3.1 Million hits on Youtube, subscribers needed! permanent positions available, please apply now!
minty4371

Post by minty4371 »

Vulcan XH558 is displaying at the Windermere Air Festival on Saturday 23rd July. Hope it is good weather. She last displayed there 2 years ago. Link here: http://www.windermereairshow.co.uk/fest ... turns.html
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

That's the best voice over I've heard in ages. Corny in the extreme but damned hard to argue with. I really enjoyed that little film.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

So, sufficient corporate sponsorship not being forthcoming and the aviation enthusiast community having been bled dry, the VTTS trust are now desperately hoping that the nation will part with its hard-earned dosh out of a sense of patriotism.

Even assuming that the necessary funds are raised by the end of July, what are the chances that, in November or thereabouts, there will be an appeal for another half million or so by the end of February to "secure the future" of XH558 for a further six months or so?

Cynical? Moi? :?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

mtskull wrote:So, sufficient corporate sponsorship not being forthcoming and the aviation enthusiast community having been bled dry, the VTTS trust are now desperately hoping that the nation will part with its hard-earned dosh out of a sense of patriotism.
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that in this particular instance. A lot of people complain about "vanishing Britain" - the loss of so many wonderful things this country has let go. The Vulcan gives them the opportunity to put their money where their mouths are and keep a British icon alive.

I don't think the Vulcan people had any choice but to run the project on the back of a succession of public appeals, once it became clear that none of the big companies or corporations would stump-up and "brand" the Vulcan.

In its authentic RAF markings, XH558 looks a whole lot better than it would in purple-and-white, Cadbury's colours, anyway.

To me, the Vulcan project as it is now run - a venture "By the people, For the people" - is a perfect fit. Yes, it is often nip-and-tuck, but the way the whole venture has survived against the odds ... recession included, and there's possibly another one on the way ... is truly remarkable, and a credit to everyone who has made a contribution to it, whether big or small.

Like every aircraft nut, I've chipped in a few times. I only wish I could do more.

It is incredible to think that we have an aircraft as complex and expensive-to-run as a Vulcan flying in private hands. Enterprise and enthusiasm overcoming all.
minty4371

Post by minty4371 »

quicksilver-wsr wrote:
mtskull wrote:So, sufficient corporate sponsorship not being forthcoming and the aviation enthusiast community having been bled dry, the VTTS trust are now desperately hoping that the nation will part with its hard-earned dosh out of a sense of patriotism.
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that in this particular instance. A lot of people complain about "vanishing Britain" - the loss of so many wonderful things this country has let go. The Vulcan gives them the opportunity to put their money where their mouths are and keep a British icon alive.

I don't think the Vulcan people had any choice but to run the project on the back of a succession of public appeals, once it became clear that none of the big companies or corporations would stump-up and "brand" the Vulcan.

In its authentic RAF markings, XH558 looks a whole lot better than it would in purple-and-white, Cadbury's colours, anyway.

To me, the Vulcan project as it is now run - a venture "By the people, For the people" - is a perfect fit. Yes, it is often nip-and-tuck, but the way the whole venture has survived against the odds ... recession included, and there's possibly another one on the way ... is truly remarkable, and a credit to everyone who has made a contribution to it, whether big or small.

Like every aircraft nut, I've chipped in a few times. I only wish I could do more.

It is incredible to think that we have an aircraft as complex and expensive-to-run as a Vulcan flying in private hands. Enterprise and enthusiasm overcoming all.
I totally agree with you Quicksilver-wsr. I have helped with donations, membership fees, items bought since I joined in 2008. I have my name on the bomb doors (twice). I can't volunteer, so it is my way of helping. She will be round next year, but after that I am not sure. Yes there will be a major mod over winter, so I am prepared to pay what I can, when I can to help with that.
Pullman99

Post by Pullman99 »

The current appeal for XH558 seems to be heading towards a successful conclusion and whatever your views of the structure of the VTTS Trust and its leadership they have achieved almost as many engineering (conserveering?) miracles as The Bluebird Project. The mighty Vulcan is flying and continues to excite everyone that sees her. One of the problems faced by the Trust is that many of XH558's supporters, myself included, also give to other projects so there is a continual feeling with the Vulcan that they are simply asking too much too often from the same people.

I saw her this year at the Goodwood Festival of Speed and the display was, as always, enthusiastically welcomed by everyone there. At these events, and even at the main air shows, there seems still to be a lack of awareness by general visitors that the Vulcan IS privately funded. Perhaps because people are used to seeing dsiplays of aircraft from the BBMF that they assume that the MOD are funding the Vulcan as well. For many such events, they do have a support team on the ground sellling merchandise as well as seeking donations. At Goodwood, unless I missed it, there was nothing. To be fair, the Vulcan was a late booking for the Sunday only and the event did clash with the Waddington Air Show (where XH558 was based for that weekend), but with over 180,000 paying visitors for the three days of the Festival I would have thought that it would have been worthwhile for some sort of support presence as well.
Ian Robinson
Bluebird K7 - the restoration project of the Century.
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Pullman99 wrote:For many such events, they do have a support team on the ground sellling merchandise as well as seeking donations. At Goodwood, unless I missed it, there was nothing. To be fair, the Vulcan was a late booking for the Sunday only and the event did clash with the Waddington Air Show (where XH558 was based for that weekend), but with over 180,000 paying visitors for the three days of the Festival I would have thought that it would have been worthwhile for some sort of support presence as well.
I took a rare break on the Saturday and attended the event at Waddo, since it is so local to me, with my girlfriend - only my second airshow in 16 years, which is a lamentable! The Vulcan fund-raising effort was focused there, and it was a major presence. I know from my own project how difficult it can be from the logistical point-of-view to have a meaningful presence at two events at different ends of the country simultaneously. I guess they decided to concentrate on one venue and do it properly, rather than two at half-cock.

It made sense, because the Vulcan - like the Lancaster, which also displayed - is regarded with an almost religious reverence here in Lincolnshire. So I assume the collection box got filled!

Knowing XH558 would be heading down to Goodwood the following day, I made a point of going out into the back garden at a carefully calculated time, and was rewarded with the magnificent sight of it overflying my village, both on its way south and on its way back up to Waddington. I felt a bit of a wally standing on the garden table like a big kid, but what can you do?

You've got to make the most of those opportunities, because once it's gone it's gone.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Hi Nigel, Mike or whoever
Many years ago in the early seventies late sixties perhaps as a kid we used to go up to Lincolnshire to visit friends. On our route up there on the old roads (I don't think the M180 would have existed back then) I can always remember we passed a Lancaster bomber which stood behind black railings next to the roadside. I think we passed either through or close to Newark and I can remember seeing it had been moved sometime later to another location on an news item. Any idea's as to were this Lancaster was originally displayed on route if infact it was a Lancaster? We did use to stop at a cafe not far from it as well any idea's? Yummy :D

Novie
"I've Gone"
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"