KW Mitchell

'Coniston' Folk Song

Post by KW Mitchell »

Campbellphile's may be interested in the following link -------:

http://www.myspace.com/sawdustjacks
Renegadenemo

Re: 'Coniston' Folk Song

Post by Renegadenemo »

Like the guitar sound but it seemed a little cluttered lyrically. Sometimes less can be more, methinks...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Renegadenemo wrote:Like the guitar sound but it seemed a little cluttered lyrically. Sometimes less can be more, methinks...
I agree Bill re cluttered Lyrically and found it tripping over itself. The Kimbustion track a few yrs ago was better lyrically I felt. I really enjoyed their modern day tribute and better written lyrics that rolled along. However Marillions "Out of This world" is top of the songs for me personally. However there was a track yrs ago by a Folk group whom i can't recall at this moment in time with Lyrics along the lines of "Lies beneath Coniston water" which is incorrect these days but it was a good folk song. I think it was a Scot duo but could be totally wrong. David Tremayne has a pucker copy of the said song which escapes me at the moment! :?

Novie
I'll Be Back
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

I didn't like to mention OOTW because I confess to being a little biased, Steve and Steve being acquaintances and such... But it is by far the best I've heard. The Kimbustion offering made me cringe, if I'm to be honest. The Marillios have mentioned doing a second song, a sort of sequel to OOTW, so maybe that'll come along in the fullness of time.

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It also suffers for having no mentions of salamanders, double glazing and sticklebacks, right Bill?
Hmm, yes - I always thought Mr Gabriel kept his Ladybird book of insignificant creatures to hand when the song writing urge took him.
I did once ask Steve H what all that 'only love will turn you round...' nonsense was about too and apparently it's to do with Donald being unloved and up against it in the winter of 66 and being so blinded by stubbornness and determination that he went on to an almost inevitable end. Had he been better appreciated he may have taken stock and proceeded more cautiously. So there you go - lyrics where less is actually more.

mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Hmmm. A brave effort but I have to agree that the lyric sounds more like a first draft than the finished article. Can't say that OOTW made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, either.

Can anyone satisfy my curiosity by posting a link to the Kimbustion stuff please?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

mtskull wrote:Can anyone satisfy my curiosity by posting a link to the Kimbustion stuff please?
Kimbustion's website is at http://www.kimbustion.com

There is a page dedicated to Donald and Bluebird.

I can't see the point in debating individual taste (choice) in music. A mate of mine, years ago - he liked listening to Sky, I liked listening to Lou Reed. He couldn't stand my music and I couldn't stand his. What difference did it make? None whatsoever.

We were both right. Because he liked listening to Sky, and I liked listening to Lou Reed.
tas

Post by tas »

Dare I stick me neck out and say 'I quite like it'.

Yeh some of the lyrics may seem a bit trite for some people but the melody and vocal harmonies are solid. The chord progression is nice and I reckon the song could also work in a few different styles, perhaps with bigger guitars beefing up the chorus (though I'm a punker at heart so I would say that).

As for the other 2 songs - well Kimbustion just puts me in the cringe camp and while Marillion are undoubtedly great songsmiths and musicians and OOTW is a spectacular choon, prog has just never been my bag.

Lets just hope Jedward or Ndubz never get inspired by anything Campbell/Bluebird - if theyre capable of being inspired at all.
"He who goes to bed with an itchy bum, wakes up with a smelly finger"
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Renegadenemo wrote: The Kimbustion offering made me cringe, if I'm to be honest.
Seconded. :?
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Renegadenemo wrote:
The Kimbustion offering made me cringe, if I'm to be honest.

Seconded.
Thirded - if that's possible.