The Sponsons Thread

Renegadenemo

Re: The Sponsons Thread

Post by Renegadenemo »

Our alloy welder is a true master of his craft, possibly one of the best in the world. He served his time welding the cryogenic titanium pipework for NASA's Apollo vehicles and was instrumental in developing the air cooled guide vanes for the Trent series of engines for Rolls-Royce. A true genius! :D
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Aye and dispite the fact he looks as thick as mince he is rather a good engineer too..... And going from history not half bad at salvage op's
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Aye and dispite the fact he looks as thick as mince
What a glorious turn of phrase that is... :D

klingon

Post by klingon »

Aye-Scottish turn of phrase! :lol:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"
Richie

Post by Richie »

Hehehehehehehehe typical scots..... Claiming something is theirs... If its not land and women.... It's one liner's

That was a joke by the way.... My mums family come from Ireland, and my dads from Scotland, so there is no wonder I am as mad as a March hare
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
mtskull

Post by mtskull »

Mike Bull wrote:At the risk of this becoming a forum where K7 is never talked about anymore...

Did anyone have any ideas re. Bill's sponson colour question then?
Why not put it to the occupant of the Padded Cell? He's bound to come up with a definitive and lengthy answer ;)
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.
turbocox

Post by turbocox »

Renegadenemo wrote: here's a question for you.
On the centre hull we've painted new stuff green so in years to come the museologists of the future will be able to tell new from old. But that's all a little old-hat because (presumably) the Inerweb will still be around and they'll be able to log onto somewhere and read about our silliness long after we've all been carried off by 1950's hydroplane in the lung disorder.
Now then, here's a question. Seeing as the sponsons are entirely new build and there's not a sniff of old tin in them, what colour do you want to see them painted initially? We really oughtn't do them the same silver/grey as the original parts of the main hull but we could do them a bright, shiny silver inside, or green, or blue or pink or whatever. Of course, they'll be blue one day but for now, anyone got any thoughts on the matter?

I think,

as the boat is being rebuilt so that thoose people who have never heard of DC or Bluebird,
You know the type, "anyone under 40 years of age" that the answer to your question Bill is.........

To ask the childern who to drew and painted the pictures on the wall of K7.

Maybe set them a competition with the winner choosing the colour,
Or get them to give a reason why they think their colour choice should be chosen.
Or get them to write/paint a message to the restorers of tomorrow inside the sponsons,
Or maybe a day at the launch as a VIP.

Come on inspire the kids 8-)
All men dream: but not equally,Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
rob565uk

Post by rob565uk »

I think this is an inspired idea - Donald famously invited a crowd of children to come forward to see CN7 during the post- 400 parade in Adelaide and had something of a general track record for encouraging children to support British technology and innovation. I think he would support this as a great idea!!

1 in 10 people understands binary. The other one doesn't
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The idea is sound, after all we love to inspire kids otherwise, as I keep saying, the project is only an exercise in self-indulgence for a bunch of middle-aged blokes. Trouble is, it's a museological decision,what colour we paint the sponsons, and I'm not convinced they'd get it right for the right reasons. Add to this the fact that I don't have a spare minute at the moment - as the guys will tell you - and I'd not be able to do it justice but if anyone would like to volunteer to put a plan together we'll do our bit at this end.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

The idea is sound, after all we love to inspire kids otherwise, as I keep saying, the project is only an exercise in self-indulgence for a bunch of middle-aged blokes. Trouble is, it's a museological decision,what colour we paint the sponsons, and I'm not convinced they'd get it right for the right reasons. Add to this the fact that I don't have a spare minute at the moment - as the guys will tell you - and I'd not be able to do it justice but if anyone would like to volunteer to put a plan together we'll do our bit at this end.