Technical Talk

Renegadenemo

Re: Technical Talk

Post by Renegadenemo »

just thought you might like to see a widget that's just come out of hibernation. We lifted this in early 2001. It's the tap for Donald's breathing air, made of brass and a genuine Siebe Gorman piece of kit, if you look at pics of the cockpit it lives down at the front left of the seat. Anyone want to polish it for us?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Sounds like my type of Job that Boss :D will have it looking as good as new just like that stainless steel gubbings from the air starter system I did a while back. That is unless you wanted it doing tomorrow morning of course :roll:
Novie
"I've Gone "
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Sounds like my type of Job that Boss will have it looking as good as new just like that stainless steel gubbings from the air starter system I did a while back.
And that's exactly what he did... cheers, Novie!

Plus, we had a very productive meeting with our engine sponsors today. We've been stockpiling Orpheus parts for almost 10 years so we have at least two of everything we need and some capsules and such were needed for Donald's fuel system so the engineers came up for a look-see and to collect the spares. We've also been offered the use of a proper test cell to give our engine a spin so I'm off for a look at that in the morning. Not seen one of those up close so that'll be interesting.

Terminator

Post by Terminator »

Thanks Bill for your kind words but I cannot take all the credit as Greg actually did the Tap with a little help from me and I did the Brass gauge. Amazing that at the grand old age of ten Greg shows such interest in Bluebird unlike what some people would have you believe :o As you know we did not have a full shift on Saturday due to you doing your talk that afternoon. So not 100% satisfied with the finish but looking good all the same or certainly better than they did :D Oh and whilst on can you get me another Jar of that magic fluid for my homework when you are next passing wherever ;)

Novie
"I've Gone"
"Never ride faster than your Angel can fly"
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Phew! That was a long day. 8.5 hours at the wheel but we have our test cell organised and, more importantly some real, live gas turbine tech's to keep us right. Another box ticked.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

It's true enough, we have some very serious players involved in the propulsion side of things and I don't want anyone to think I'm being secretive about it but the situation is that these are corporate names and logos you'd just not snaffle off the net and pop on your website. These are companies who employ whole departments to look after PR, their brand and their corporate image. It was like when Virgin gave us their train plates. You don't go slapping Virgin stickers all over everything until the press release has been signed off and their PR team have mailed an approved copy of the logo.
When they decide what level of exposure / involvement (or not) that they want we'll then fall over ourselves to deliver it. Until then, apologies for being a little vague.

quicksilver-wsr

Post by quicksilver-wsr »

Bill, thank you for explaining why the news stories on the Quicksilver website are sometimes pompous and vague.

Virtually all of our sponsors are corporate, with PR people and the political sensitivities that go with that. If you don't play it their way, they don't play. And they are right. Why should they? You usually find that you need them more than they need you.

I have occasionally had difficulties with people understanding what it's like to work with the big, or bigger, players. You have to play their game. We have several very big organisations that have helped us that we haven't been able to name for years, and still can't.

When a project drags on the way Quicksilver has, it creates even more difficulties, as you can imagine - although we have been extremely fortunate to keep the vast majority of our sponsors over the years.

I'm glad you're getting those big-hitters now, though.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

We've always enjoyed outstanding support for our somewhat maverick but quintessentially British project. Those who've followed us for some time will have noticed the big names mentioned here and there but sponsors of that stature are generally content to stay behind the scenes at this stage.
These sort of projects carry a certain amount of risk and what is likely to happen is that if we make a huge success of things they'll all step up for a well-deserved slice and if we fall on our sword they'll all quietly disappear. And who can blame them - they'd be foolish to do anything else.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Some fantastic news today. The first of K7's original start bottles was given a hydrostatic test today after we'd finished refurbishing it and it effortlessly blew to 3200psi and held.

3200psi is the old working pressure so the bottle should have been tested to 4800psi but we weren't being greedy and it's now officially tested with a new working pressure of 2000psi, which is more than enough for our purposes. There was little doubt amongst all involved that the bottle would have gone to the higher TP but the other bottle is in slightly worse shape so we were going to impose a lower WP on that anyway so best to have them matched then we can balance them together and have plenty of volume for engine starting. Not bad for 34 years on the bottom of a lake and just one more thing that the do-gooders told us couldn't be done.

klingon

Post by klingon »

Bill-whats the actual capacity of the start bottles?-bout the same as a modern diving cylinder?- now theres an idea for backup starts! :)
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"