Technical Talk

klingon

Re: Looking Back In Time- Archive Bluebird Photos

Post by klingon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Don't know if the shock waves seen under K7 at speed are anything to do with the engine surging-(looks like someone "skipping" a stone on water-or might just be pressure buildup under the hull at speed-any ideas? :geek:
"I hate two faced people-don't know which face to punch first!"

f1steveuk

Re: Technical Talk

Post by f1steveuk » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:03 pm

Anything under the hull, and to do with contact with the water, showing as interupted spray patterns, would be to do with the tramping, or sponson walking, although it's possible, but would require a great deal of acceleration and de-acceleration to show visably in the "rooster tail".

Now obviously I have stated my opinion in print, (and before anyone asks, no I still haven't managed to get the Bristol report back from the holder of my archive!), but I'm sticking with the intermitant fuel pressure loss, especially after the Orph' was tweaked to run at 110%.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................

Mike Bull

Re: Pic of the Day

Post by Mike Bull » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Home-s.jpg
What you don't get from the new POTD is the glorious whiff of 1967 jet fuel, or the wonderful sound I had all Saturday afternoon of an increasingly incredulous project leader going steadily bonkers at the sheer absurdity of the over-engineering in K7's fuel pump! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:55 pm

He's not kidding either! I honestly believe the design engineers were having a crafty competition amongst themselves to see who could sneak the most complicated design for a set of washers, spacers and springs past the bosses at Lucas. Next they had a laugh at those hapless folks tasked with rebuilding these things by making sure that as many components as possible are stacked ahead of the spring waiting to fire out at the release of a circlip. And should you ever find yourself having to dismantle one of these, be warned, every spring has a separate seat too, many of which aren't mentioned if you have the wrong rebuild book as we do, and they're chamfered on one side and there's no way of telling which way up they go. They fall out when you roll the pump over and bugger off under the bench. Aarrrgh!

Bonkers? Definitely...
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

I have wrought my simple plan
If I give one hour of joy
To the boy who’s half a man,
Or the man who’s half a boy.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

huszarail

Post by huszarail » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:28 pm

Bill, that pump; MGBB series? 1004ish?
I'm only a man from Del Monte..........

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:07 am

It's supposed to be a MGD but it's not, and the maker's plate is still crudded up though it's getting cleaner. Will let you know when I get to the bottom of it. Trouble is, it's well recorded that the Bristol Siddeley boys swapped out the pump when Donald was short of power, but they didn't record what they swapped it for. Will find out soon though.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

huszarail

Post by huszarail » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:30 pm

can you see the serial No? It's on the plate of course but might also be etched on the main bodies also. Usually B.XXXXX or maybe B.XXXXXL or LR. Could possibly ID the pump from the number for you.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:12 pm

There's no evidence on any of the components and the problem with the makers plate is that the floor came up to meet it (more evidence of an engine mount failure because it shouldn't have been able to do that) and stamped a big scratch right through the middle but based on the above we seem to have B XXX R so it looks like a very early pump. I've been speaking with some of the top brass at Goodrich today so fingers crossed the answer isn't far away.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

huszarail

Post by huszarail » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:06 pm

Yes, back in the mists of time the letter R was added when the unit was returned for repair /overhaul.
Good luck with the big noises. I wonder if anything will filter down my way ?

We did units for the Vulcan here (not me personally) and a while ago gave some help to Mr Noble when he was contemplating an RB211 powered record machine (Blue Ribband challenger?) so we're usually up for a challenge.

Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:30 pm

The pump is eight hundred and something so it's definitely an early one and the good news is that it's about ready to go back together. Lord knows how we're going to function test it though. You got a test rig?

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.