Miss Britain III

f1steveuk

Re: Miss Britain III

Post by f1steveuk »

It's a "2", always was, Scott=Paine was actually told to get rid of the stylised "2" and makeit more clearly a "2" . The reason it was originally done was that MGBIII was going for the off shore record, the outright record was an after thought, and much like K3 was, for a time, Z/K30, MGBIII was Z/K7, changed later to the "unlimited" reg'. Fred Cooper had a lot of input into the design, but Scott-Paine wasn't one to share the limelight, but Cooper's input is clear when comparing the stern to K3.
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
malcolm uk

Post by malcolm uk »

Renegadenemo wrote:Hmm - does this mean we've built it all the wrong shape? The K7 in those pictures doesn't look like what we've made.
Clearly 34 years in the water distorted something Bill .................... but whatever shape it is, a 'K7' can take part in a proving trial on Coniston Water ............ (almost).
Malcolm Pittwood
The Bluebird Project
Operations
Black Knight

Post by Black Knight »

f1steveuk wrote:It's a "2", always was, Scott=Paine was actually told to get rid of the stylised "2" and makeit more clearly a "2" . The reason it was originally done was that MGBIII was going for the off shore record, the outright record was an after thought, and much like K3 was, for a time, Z/K30, MGBIII was Z/K7, changed later to the "unlimited" reg'. Fred Cooper had a lot of input into the design, but Scott-Paine wasn't one to share the limelight, but Cooper's input is clear when comparing the stern to K3.

I've seen photo's of K3 as Z/K30, white lettering on a black background.

So the MGBIII photo's are probably taken while still Z/K7????
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

I'm going from memory, so the usual disclaimers apply, but I think when the reg' was changed the "Z" was painted out and the infinity added (as per the photo's) and the "7" was merely converted to a "2", badly!!
Steve Holter, UK and France, and sometimes reality....................
Techteam

Post by Techteam »

Another possible answer with no research or proof is that instead of removing K2 completely it was modified to actually read a race class R7, inboard over 7.0 litres for a race or different record attempt. Wild flight of fancy as I don't know when the R classes were introduced but possible?