Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Ernie Lazenby

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Try as you may I wont repeat what my position is in this thread. If you don't want to read it all or fail to understand it then that's okay. Please don't attribute comments to me I have not made, thank you.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Are we all a bit calmer today? I was rubbing down blue paint yesterday evening when everyone was getting excited so I wasn't going to get my phone covered in blue dust to join in. Glad I didn't!

Just a few more days and we'll let everyone know what the plan is for this year. It's only fair that, having set us working like demons to prepare to go to Coniston then vacating the agreed dates, that we run the plan at another location. Hopefully too, the LDNPA, BEWG and museum will join us to learn as much as possible about how to show off our iconic machine. We'll see. LDNPA have already said they're in so that's a good sign.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
cliffwainwright

Post by cliffwainwright »

If the museum trustees had any business sense, they would see that the proposal to take Bluebird out for three months of the year for running at various locations around the world is a heaven sent opportunity to raise awareness of the boat and their museum.

There are clear parallels with Campbell and Bluebird and Parry-Thomas and Babs. Both men were speed record holders, both died in crashes attempting records and both wrecks were eventually recovered and restored. When Owen Wyn-Owen dug up the wreck of Babs from Pendine Sands and restored her to running order, he didn't just lock her away in a museum, he toured her around raising awareness of the car and her record breaking driver. Now she resides in the Pendine museum of Speed for part of the year and is often on tour for other parts of the year. The museum website makes it very clear when she will be on display and when she will not be.

Why is this sort of arrangement such an issue for the museum?
Richie

Post by Richie »

We would know the answer to that if only they would grant us the professional courtesy of actually talking to us.
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

If the museum trustees had any business sense, they would see that the proposal to take Bluebird out for three months of the year for running at various locations around the world is a heaven sent opportunity to raise awareness of the boat and their museum.
Well you know that, and we know that and, presumably so do they. It's just a case of getting it down on paper.

bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

As I have said on several threads before I don't get involved with the politics of the boat. I joined the project for 2 reasons. 1. to strip down a scrap boat. 2. To rebuild that boat into a fully functional machine. In my 15th year now but here is my take on the situation for what its worth.
Put the finished job in a museum and lock the doors in the middle of the lake district, some people will travel and pay to see it. Spend maximum of half an hour walking round taking photos. They have now seen it once and for most that's enough. Interest will wane in less time than I have spent on her. Put her on water and people will travel for miles and come day after day. Year after year to see her. If that water is Coniston then the same people will also visit the Ruskin to have a look at the exhibits. Coniston and many villages around benefit greatly. Bute did very well indeed. We had the same people coming day after day to see the spectacle of bluebird running. So much so the team knew their names, even drank with them on a night time. There was always at least one member of the team out front of the boat house to answer peoples questions. The one I was asked most is what time is she running again. Then there was the hundreds of people getting vantage points around the lake to get the best view who we never met. Hopefully next time. You don't get that relationship with people from a static display. Like Brexit I hope this is all sorted soon so everyone knows where they stand and we can back to what we do best. Strip build and operate a beautiful machine for the public to admire.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
Jett

Post by Jett »

Unless BBP Ltd has brokered a new deal since its incorporation, K7 should, according to the Deed of Gift, go directly into the Bluebird Wing of the Ruskin Museum. Anyone, with the right attitude, can pick up the phone and find this out. BBP don't even have a contractual obligation from the owners to run proving trials. Any further use of K7 is up to the owners, the Ruskin.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Hey, Jett, welcome back. It's all grownup in here at the moment and long may it continue. We enjoy a bit of sparring and a good debate so let's keep it interesting and informed and we'll all enjoy it.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby »

Bill are Jetts comments not correct? is there no signed contract altering the terms of the original signed agreements? That's the information I have. Do you have a signed contract dated after 2006? Just asking. I am sure its of interest to readers. I am not labouring my well read comments on this thread simply asking if you are able to respond to a reasonable post from someone other than me. An answer would certainly help settle troubled waters.
Jett

Post by Jett »

Cheers, Renegadenemo. I'm not sparring, though. And I have no idea how this will ultimately play out between yourselves and the trustees.