Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Healey nut

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by Healey nut »

I really dont get all this keyboard commando rehashing of the past and facts and figures and scientific analysis and guys with slide rules saying “well it crashed because “
The facts are this .
On Jan 4th 1967 Bluebird flipped over and sank and Donald Campbell was killed .
Since then the BBP team raised the wreck and DCs body and have restored the boat to its former glory and have run and tested same at speed on Loch Fad . A tremendous achievement.
I dont think for a second that the BBP team will attempt to run at anywhere close to 300mph . They have way to much time and energy invested to see it wrecked again and they realize the historic significance that K7 has and they want to keep that for future generations to see hear and enjoy for many years to come .Be that as a static museum exhibit or a mobile moving running breathing living exhibit . I and I am sure many others would prefer the latter .
Trying to determine why it flipped is like trying to determine who killed JFK or where is Jimmy Hoffa its all just speculation .
Can we all not just celebrate the rebirth of Bluebird and its future and leave the speculation and cat fighting in the past and accept that it was all just a tragic accident and be done with it .
Thats not an oil leak , its my patent pending Old British Sports Car rustproofing system . :mrgreen:
wbjohn

Post by wbjohn »

Healey nut - re your above comment, Well said, thank you......
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Ahh - our dear friend John, the calm voice of reason, as ever. See what Hell breaks loose when you're away...

And, Healey Nut - you are absolutely correct. I really ought to be more of a grownup than to let old arguments needle me. Note to self... But then I was the first ever winner of the BBP Bell-end award and you don't get that for being ordinary so, apologies all round - even to you, Mr Mitchell, despite our differences.
These have been terribly stressful times for me for reasons that have no place here and shouldn't have ever manifested themselves here so I'm sorry for any offence caused.

Now then - we have to get our favourite engine out of the hole soon as we can because all her silvered bearings are currently soaked in sulphurous fuel and there's already corrosion product on the first and second stage compressor blades. Thanks for your support, one and all.

Bill.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Bill (if I may be so familiar?). Remind me NEVER to get in an argument with you...!
You may be as familiar as you want and argue all you like. Never be shy...

KW Mitchell

Post by KW Mitchell »

Renegadenemo wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:45 am
... so, apologies all round - even to you, Mr Mitchell, despite our differences.
These have been terribly stressful times for me for reasons that have no place here and shouldn't have ever manifested themselves here so I'm sorry for any offence caused...

Bill.
Thankyou for that, Bill; it is accepted in the spirit in which it is given.

I am sure you will agree that trying to understand what happened some 50 years ago and attempting to apply some good science to it is not incompatible with the aims - and inherent vicissitudes and frustration - of restoration and current operation of the craft. Indeed, one must surely inform the other.

To those ends, I would be very happy to contribute - even in a small way - with the skills at hand. I am sure we would not always agree, but if the arguments are rooted in good science and mutual respect then I think the outcome can only be positive.

In conclusion, might I say that none of our recent exchanges diminishes my appreciation to you and the team for inviting me as a guest to observe the Bute 'Campaign' at close quarters. The spirit and commitment of you all to solve problems so that we could all enjoy Bluebird doing what it was meant to do, chimed with what Tony has told me about those very attributes in the K7 team and their illustrious leader all those years ago.

Keith
Richie

Post by Richie »

Happy days, let us all move forward together !

TO THE NEXT STEP !!

Cheers

Richie
"You can screw a man down until he takes to drinking......take me to the fantastic place..."
JohnTheBikeMan

Post by JohnTheBikeMan »

Renegadenemo wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:08 am
Bill (if I may be so familiar?). Remind me NEVER to get in an argument with you...!
You may be as familiar as you want and argue all you like. Never be shy...
Only ever from a position of strength! I've got a lot to learn yet.

In total awe of your collective 'tin bashing' skills, I'll stick to mending bicycles.
I am the one who guided you this far
All you know and all you feel
Nobody must know my name
For nobody would understand
And you kill what you feel...
bluebirdsback

Post by bluebirdsback »

To the next step.
Well said Richie. Lets see if we can move forward without all of these pointless arguments and get our boat to the point of where she should be. This will only be achieved by the hard work of the team and support of the public. Let us do our bit and leave the politics to those who wish to ponder on them.
The moment you make something idiot proof a new breed of idiots will come along and prove you wrong
conistoncollie

Ruskin Museum

Post by conistoncollie »

New statement posted on Ruskin Museum website
Renegadenemo

Re: Ruskin Museum

Post by Renegadenemo »

New statement posted on Ruskin Museum website
Saw it last week - and asked for details, specifically the current status of the LDNPA and whether they have removed their ridiculous caveats such as not being able to run at weekends or after 4.00pm and providing us with an actual course on which we can run. I asked about crowd control, closing roads, disabled access, emergency evacuation - just the bare basics we had to put in place in Bute but as yet I've not had a reply. As they say they're now 'ready' I have to assume these issues have been largely bottomed.