Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Renegadenemo

Re: Donald Campbell's restored Bluebird in museum home row

Post by Renegadenemo »

It’s in the hands of the expensive people now, not through our choice or doing, leave it to them...once the final shots have been fired and the irreparable collateral damage has been made, the dust will settle and we can decide where we go.
They wheeled in their expensive people of their own volition, ours spoke back in the appropriate way some weeks ago so hopefully that's that taken care of and we can move forwards without a repeat performance. Ball is in their court now. It's always possible to draw a line in the sand, step over it and not look back but you have to want to do that.
I'm only a plumber from Cannock...

"As to reward, my profession is its own reward;" Sherlock Holmes.

'It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.' W.C. Fields.
Filtertron

Post by Filtertron »

'Sometimes you gotta be an S.O.B if you wanna make a dream reality' Mark Knopfler

Boom, Like That.

Dunno if that really rings true here, Bill...Great song though.
"What are you doing up that tree?"
"We're mountaineering on a rather tight budget."
ace_chris

Post by ace_chris »

Interesting choice of words and that a funding page has been set-up for the Ruskin! Seriously though, a grand to bring Bluebird K7 back to Coniston, what planet are they on!
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Seriously though, a grand to bring Bluebird K7 back to Coniston, what planet are they on!
I get more puzzled by the day. It wouldn't cover the cost of the diesel for the wagon much less a proper firm of movers. Wouldn't buy a stamp with lawyers either. What can it mean?

And something that's slightly irritating is this constant banging on about £800K to build a building. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful piece of work and well done to everyone who contributed but, really? Has anyone stopped to wonder just what rebuilding the boat would have cost had we not done it in our own unique way? Just look at what was spent on Cutty Sark, Waverley or the Flying Scotsman and you soon see that we would have been into many millions so can we please stop talking about money?

Then, one of the lads fetched up last night's news on the computer-box this morning where I watched someone saying how they want K7 back on Coniston Water. Well, don't we all? The point being that, as I've said many times, they've had over a decade to get ready and still nothing is ready. That isn't me taking a pop at someone - it's just how it is.

Why would you stand on telly and say such a thing having just very publicly cancelled the one chance of it happening that looked like it might get going? It's completely bewildering!

lstewa38

Post by lstewa38 »

Only £260 pounds raised so far. I managed more than that in an hour to dress up like a tube to do the Kiltwalk.
Maybe they will try to take K7 on the bus to Coniston. Numpty’s.
JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

Sometimes I think the whole story lacks any sort of logic from the trustees of the Ruskin Museum. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. Anyway, today I received a spam email with the following signature, it kind of sums it up: "I think sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it."

Could have 2 meanings though - not sure which ones the better choice.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

Sometimes I think the whole story lacks any sort of logic from the trustees of the Ruskin Museum.
Hi Joerg. Considering that recent events have baffled our eccentric British sensibilities, the effect of the Ruskin on your indefatigably Teutonic brain can only be imagined!

But a couple of encouraging signs. I was sent this today and it hints at progress.

Help Us Secure Bluebird's Return to Coniston

As trustees of the Coniston Institute and Ruskin Museum we have a legal duty to protect, preserve and defend our assets. It has unfortunately become necessary to seek legal advice regarding the most appropriate way to do this.

All donations will go towards supporting our obligations as trustees, this will include legal advice with a view to securing a mediated outcome, and the logistics of planning the successful, and long awaited return of Bluebird K7 to Coniston. We are committed to see Bluebird K7 on Coniston Water again, its spiritual home.

A 'mediated outcome'. Done some mediated things before and the mediator is jointly appointed (it's pointless otherwise) so we need someone who wants to both lock the boat away in the first instance then discuss her future once that's done, as if that will ever happen, and, someone who the museum wish to appoint as mediator who wants to see the boat run into the future in the care of BBP. So the most likely is a mediator who wants to see some display and some running so that's a good sign.

Then there's 'We are committed to see Bluebird K7 on Coniston Water again...'

Standing by, when can we get started?

JfromJAGs

Post by JfromJAGs »

I had read the text on the museum homepage. I'm wondering, if someone pays the grand, would he be allowed to choose the mediator? That would be an easy fix.

This does show one thing though - they are completely short of money. Maybe they can only afford to store K7? Maybe they are waiting since 2008 to gain at least some money from visitors who want to see K7? I'd say they can simply not afford your ideas as they think it would cost them some money - maybe only a little - but they can't afford even that little - and they are probably too proud to tell.
Renegadenemo

Post by Renegadenemo »

This does show one thing though - they are completely short of money. Maybe they can only afford to store K7? Maybe they are waiting since 2008 to gain at least some money from visitors who want to see K7? I'd say they can simply not afford your ideas as they think it would cost them some money - maybe only a little - but they can't afford even that little - and they are probably too proud to tell.
We've developed a business model that allows us to self-fund running and otherwise displaying the boat, we've even made a charitable donation here and there and plan on making many more so it wouldn't cost them anything to tag along with us except maybe for travel and accommodation. Maybe this latest development has something to do with their accredited museum status. It's to be hoped that everything is properly set out in that regard. Anyways - that says that they are supposed to improve the physical, sensory and intellectual access to the collection so presumably they got a million points by being able to say that a crack team is going to take K7 out and assault the public's senses whilst inspiring and educating all at the same time. Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Filtertron

Post by Filtertron »

Another odd spot on the Ruskin Museum's website - there is an icon for "News & Events". The oddity is that it depicts the BBP with K7.

Clicking on the icon reveals this at the top of the page:
Ruskin Museum Trustees wrote:Statement from The Trustees

When the wreckage of Donald Campbell’s Bluebird K7 (‘Bluebird’) was handed over to Bill Smith, it was done with the express understanding that the restored Bluebird would be returned to Coniston to be put on permanent display for the public to view. In 2006 a Deed of Gift was signed, donating Bluebird K7 to the Ruskin museum.

To house Bluebird, £800,000 was raised from a large number of donors – comprising businesses, charitable trusts and individuals – to build a new wing at the Ruskin museum which was completed in 2010. We have an obligation to all those who donated to ensure that Bluebird is returned to Coniston.

We, like many others, would love to see Bluebird run again on Coniston Water. Coniston is one of the busiest lakes in England, so prior to any runs the security and integrity of the craft, operator safety and community impact implications must be fully considered, and risk assessed.

As Custodians and Trustees of the museum (a registered charity) our obligations are to ‘preserve, protect and defend’ one of the most iconic boats in British history for the benefit of the public.

What Bill Smith and his team of volunteers have achieved is remarkable. Our duty as an accredited museum is to ensure that Bluebird can be shown off to all who want to see her and learn about her exceptional story.

Donald Campbell is known to have said “Donald and boat stay together.” Returning Bluebird to Coniston where Campbell is buried will ensure, as best we can, that those wishes are fulfilled.

The Coniston Institute and Ruskin Museum Trust
Rather interesting...
"What are you doing up that tree?"
"We're mountaineering on a rather tight budget."